Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Door Skirts and Rubbing Noise from Underneath

focusdriver

So my new ('ish) 69 plate Ford Focus Titanium was delivered today.  A guy drove the car here from a dealer down South - I'm near Coventry.

On first driving the car there is a loud rubbing noise underneath, and on closer inspection there are 2 pieces of material hanging down from the bottom of the car, touching the floor - both just behind both front seats.  I'll contact the dealer tomorrow but wonder if this is an issue anyone on here has had before?  I've never had it previously on any of my 3 Focuses.  I had to drive it for about 30 mins to get back home and there was a burning smell coming from the material too.

Also, 2 of the 4 door skirts don't close properly.  Is this a common issue?  They seem like more faff then they're worth!

Thanks

Front Passenger Door.png

Read Passenger Door.png

Under Car 1.png

Under Car 2.png

Under Car 3.png

That lining would not break by itself. It looks like someone has tried to remove it in a ham-fisted way and I would be very suspicious of why it needed removed on a year old car. 

• Like 1

This does not look good. Contact dealer now and try not to drive until they've responded.

• Like 1

The door edge protectors are rubbish, they're always broken but should be covered under manufacturer warranty if you're bothered by them.

The damaged sideskirts are not common though, someone has caught those when driving onto a steep ramp for a car transporter of off of a steep kerb or similar.  They won't be covered under manufacture warranty, you'll have to go through the supplying dealer to get that rectified.  

After my own 'new' ('68) Focus arriving in a crap condition, I'm seeing more and more since...  Don't understand how dealers think it's acceptable!

• Like 1

The fault with your door edge protectors is very common . Even having them replaced may not cure it as they seem to be prone to sticking in colder weather and on doors that are not much used.

• Like 1

Agree with the above. Dealers seem to think they can deliver cars in poor condition and dodge responsibility.

I would inform them and get them to pay for the repair. and book it into to be repaired. Claim back from dealer.

• Like 2

It looks like the car has been  "grounded" at some point to cause that much damage to the side skirts. It's not a clean break by any means

Like others have said get in touch with who supplied it. Good luck.

• Like 1

So an update on this:

The dealer we got the car from is adamant that the car was fine when it left there.  A driver bought it 130 miles to us - and we/they think that the damage happened during that journey.  When the driver got here he left pretty sharpish - so it could be that he knew he'd caused the damage.  Possibly he had a minor accident (it was quite icy yesterday) and went over a kerb.

My local Ford garage is going to look at the damage tomorrow to assess it.

In the meantime I got Ford breakdown (AA) out as I didn't want to drive it to the garage and cause further damage.  He jacked the car up and simply bent the plastic lining back into place - as a temporary fix.  He said the lining has been split in the middle but as far as he can see there's no further damage - even on front of the car which he would have expected.

I'll report back tomorrow.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, focusdriver said:

So an update on this:

The dealer we got the car from is adamant that the car was fine when it left there.  A driver bought it 130 miles to us - and we/they think that the damage happened during that journey.  When the driver got here he left pretty sharpish - so it could be that he knew he'd caused the damage.  Possibly he had a minor accident (it was quite icy yesterday) and went over a kerb.

My local Ford garage is going to look at the damage tomorrow to assess it.

In the meantime I got Ford breakdown (AA) out as I didn't want to drive it to the garage and cause further damage.  He jacked the car up and simply bent the plastic lining back into place - as a temporary fix.  He said the lining has been split in the middle but as far as he can see there's no further damage - even on front of the car which he would have expected.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Shame you didn't notice it before you'd driven it. Can't be helped. I have a scratch near my armrest that was not me but didn't notice it before. Can't be helped.

Hopefully local dealer can assist. They normally pretty good as they know you will (hopefully!) Go there for service etc 

You are doing the right thing getting it checked over properly. That liner sits a short distance from the floorpan and is almost level with the front subframe so if it was impact damage I would be surprised if there was no other damage.

Yes - ideally we would have noticed it on delivery.  But, the driver had driven it here so we assumed everything was fine.  Also, surprisingly the Ford "Inspection" doesn't include a check on the underneath of the vehicle.

My local dealer is pretty good - they have no connection with the garage I bought the car from, so they'll be impartial.  Initially when I called their Call Centre to book it in they said nothing was available till Feb 4th.  Then I found a number I had previously which went straight through to the local service Dept.  When I explained the situation she found a spare slot for me at 11:00 tomorrow.  🙂

• Like 2

The PDI they do is rubbish. I had trouble with mine on the power output/transmission and turned out to be a loose battery terminal that the dealer didn't reconnect properly after charging the battery.

• Sad 1