Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB Charging

AlexMM

Good evening,

I have a quick question with a probably a simple answer.

I own a Ford Fiesta, year 2018.

Is it safe to charge my phone via USB port ? I keep reading on sites "it can send too much power to your smartphone and potentially damage it".

I really enjoy the SYNC 3 but ... not at the cost of my phone.

I own an iPhone 11 .... if this info helps.

Thanks!

Alex!

I’ve used the USB port in my Fiesta without any problems. If you use Apple Play it’s the only way to connect your iPhone. My only suggestion to you would be to use an original Apple cable, or an Apple certified accessory cable.

I mean, the USB port would be kind of pointless if you cant charge a phone through it.

The only other thing you'd ever plug into that USB port is a memory stick, and they require way less power than a phone...

I have a USB tester, but not tested it on my car yet. I am sure the USB uses less current than if you plugged a USB charger into the 12V socket, so I don't know where you got that info from. It does in our Skoda anyway. The Fabia could not run a tomtom satnav when plugged into the USB, it can only draw half an Amp max. It only works though the 12V socket.

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

I have a USB tester, but not tested it on my car yet. I am sure the USB uses less current than if you plugged a USB charger into the 12V socket, so I don't know where you got that info from. It does in our Skoda anyway. The Fabia could not run a TomTom satnav when plugged into the USB, it can only draw half an Amp max. It only works though the 12V socket.

Yes most usb  outlets only just supply enough power to run memory sticks if I try to charge my phone iPhone 11 Pro in the car it just about managed to charge it but it takes ages, keeps up with apps just.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club