Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem Fitting Genuine Ford Front Mudflaps

IMW

I bought a set of genuine front mudflaps from FordOnlineParts.co.uk (excellent service, highly recommended) and decided today was the day to fit them.

All went well until the time came to put on the middle fixing - sorry, but only those who have done this job will know what I mean. Anyway, the instructions were less than clear when it came to this task and, to put it bluntly, I made a pig's ear of it. The part just slid off the mudflap and the pressure I was exerting to clip the two parts of the fixing together drove them together so firmly that I can't disaasemble it and have another try. The two screw fixings, top and bottom, seem to be holding the mudflap secure but it's obvious to the eye that it needs tightening up in the middle. I've not attempted to put this fixing on the second mudflap.

So, a few questions:

First, has anyone successfully used this fixing? If so, could you tell me how.

Second, is there anyway to undo this fixing. I fear it is a one-time use job.

Third, does anyone have a spare fixing I could buy off them? I doubt that the part would be available as a spare from Ford.

Thanks,

Ian

Is it the bit with the tab you are somehow meant to fold over and apply the clip to? It was tricky (I left the wheel on), but possible. Would suggest pliers if possible and removing the wheel if convenient.

I assume you mean the middle fixing of the front mudflaps, as the middle fixing of the rears have a clip+bolt type arrangement.

The plastic tab of the mudflap itself needs to be folded over, and this clamp goes over this folded piece.

If you look at the plastic L-Shaped retainer provided with the mudlfaps, it has 2 slats on the topmost edge in which the toothed U-shaped metal clamp gets squeezed into with pliers, over the plastic tab of the mudflap that i mentioned.

As for removing one that has been clamped, then I'm not sure. I've never tried it but I guess the toothed edges will make this very difficult.

Can the mudlflap be removed with no screws attached having just the central clamp fitted? Its worth a go. It might be much easier then to separate the clamp

I bought a set of genuine front mudflaps from FordOnlineParts.co.uk (excellent service, highly recommended) and decided today was the day to fit them.

All went well until the time came to put on the middle fixing - sorry, but only those who have done this job will know what I mean. Anyway, the instructions were less than clear when it came to this task and, to put it bluntly, I made a pig's ear of it. The part just slid off the mudflap and the pressure I was exerting to clip the two parts of the fixing together drove them together so firmly that I can't disaasemble it and have another try. The two screw fixings, top and bottom, seem to be holding the mudflap secure but it's obvious to the eye that it needs tightening up in the middle. I've not attempted to put this fixing on the second mudflap.

So, a few questions:

Third, does anyone have a spare fixing I could buy off them? I doubt that the part would be available as a spare from Ford.

Thanks,

Ian

When I fit new Ford mudflaps to the front I could not fathom it out either. And because I did not want any metal clip cutting through to the metal I just said sod it and left them off. The top and bottom fixings secure them in place fine as far as I'm concerned. But it looks like hawker fathomed it OK :unsure:

When I fit new Ford mudflaps to the front I could not fathom it out either. And because I did not want any metal clip cutting through to the metal I just said sod it and left them off. The top and bottom fixings secure them in place fine as far as I'm concerned. But it looks like hawker fathomed it OK :unsure:

Yeah, it's not all that clear that the plastic tab folds over. Then getting the toothy thing on top as well ... strong hands required or a decent tool!

When i fitted mine,i fixed the 2 screws in loosely,

I then folded the plastic tab back to protect the wing...screwed the 2 remaing screws up...then put the metal clip on with a pair of waterpump pliers

Slid into the plastic toothed bracket with ease...also left the wheels on..just turned them accordingly.

It's harder on the rear flaps to be honest, as there's no turning available. Never heard of waterpump pliers described as that (I googled them - never knew their real name!), but you learn something new every day. I used brute force and put the metal clips on by hand (and it hurt a tad).

As for removing one that has been clamped, then I'm not sure. I've never tried it but I guess the toothed edges will make this very difficult.

Can the mudlflap be removed with no screws attached having just the central clamp fitted? Its worth a go. It might be much easier then to separate the clamp

I don't think so but I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who had problems with these mudflaps.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for your replies.

took 15 minutes i put the clip on halfway first onto the flap then used a pair of pliers to put the pressure on the clip and then pushed the flap into it and it all popped in nicely on one of them i had to tap the back of the clip with the pliers to get it to push on

Thanks for your replies.

Where in Soton are you from if you don't mind my asking?

took 15 minutes i put the clip on halfway first onto the flap then used a pair of pliers to put the pressure on the clip and then pushed the flap into it and it all popped in nicely on one of them i had to tap the back of the clip with the pliers to get it to push on

I guess the process between MKI and II hasn't changed much then - I wonder if the MKI instructions were equally as vague as the MKII? :lol:

I guess the process between MKI and II hasn't changed much then - I wonder if the MKI instructions were equally as vague as the MKII? laugh.gif

wat instructions lol it was a case of offering them into place and seeing that that bolt had to come out there then go through the flap back to its original location the rears went on then had to come off again so that i could do the bolts

Maybush.

Maybush.

Ahh, Bitterne Park here. Tis rare to get people from our neck of the woods around here!

How about this for a potential alternative to that pesky middle fitting:

Remove the mudlap and put some double-sided adhesive tape on the mudflap where it contacts the turned in edge of the wheelarch. Press the mudflap into position and replace up the screws. I reckon that should work ok, what say you?

How about this for a potential alternative to that pesky middle fitting:

Remove the mudlap and put some double-sided adhesive tape on the mudflap where it contacts the turned in edge of the wheelarch. Press the mudflap into position and replace up the screws. I reckon that should work ok, what say you?

What tape would be best? I'd imagine the double-sided tape used for wooden flooring would be good, as it is foamy and a few mm thick. Just be weary as to how long it will stick for and if it will take paint off.

Well, Well! These clips do come apart! My s-i-l managed to undo my clip using circlip pliers. Hooray!

I might invite him to fit them and to bring his circlip pliers with him - just in case. :D

So, a few questions:

Thanks,

Ian

you can buy a fixing off eBay

I would imagine needle nose pliers should get this clip off, especially if they are reverse pliers.

you can buy a fixing off ebay

Do you have a link for it please?

• 8 months later...

Fitted genuine front mudflaps yesterday. To be honest your better off not looking at the instructions, They make it look far more complicated than it is.

Just offer them up, Undo the screw on the underside of the trim and re-fit it through the mudflap and the trim. Then fit the middle and top clips to lip of the wheel arch (I used some mole grips for this as they were super tight, Which is a good thing)

Not sure if I'll bother with the rear flaps, Is there any need with a front wheel drive car? I actually think the front flaps improve the overall look of the car as well.

I fitted new ones front and rear last week, I cut off the middle tab and used the cut off piece to back up the clip behind the wheel arch, I think it is neater and fits better than bending it over.

Regards Brian

I was just looking at some of these on eBay, but can't decide whether to get the full set for front and rear, or just to go with the fronts.

My last car was an Octavia vRS and that only had front mudflaps and looked pretty good. Has anyone got any pics of their Mk.2 Focus with either front or all mudflaps fitted, so I can see what the car looks like with them on, before I make my mind up?

Thanks,

Karlos

I was just looking at some of these on Ebay, but can't decide whether to get the full set for front and rear, or just to go with the fronts.

My last car was an Octavia vRS and that only had front mudflaps and looked pretty good. Has anyone got any pics of their Mk.2 Focus with either front or all mudflaps fitted, so I can see what the car looks like with them on, before I make my mind up?

Thanks,

Karlos

Piccy of mine [fronts only] on this thread did not fit any to the rear, simply because as the rear bumper and lower skirt are made out of no metal material...there is bugger all to rot away.

Piccy of mine [fronts only] on this thread did not fit any to the rear, simply because as the rear bumper and lower skirt are made out of no metal material...there is bugger all to rot away.

Thanks. That's just what I was after. The only reason I was thinking about the rears was to protect what little paintwork is back there from any damage, but at 3 years old and 32000 miles later, the rear bumper seems fine! Plus the fronts might actually keep the side of the car a little cleaner than before!

well I must admit they can look good with mud flaps all round :rolleyes:

I did this thread on reasons for having mud flaps, and what damage they can help prevent Known rust problems on mk2 Focus front wheel arches

On the last page of this thread you will see a nice example of flaps all round on a sea grey Focus.