Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Missing owners manual and service history booklet

Caltor

I have recently bought a 19 plate Fiesta Active X from Cazoo. I have just noticed though that there isn’t an owners manual or service history booklet. There is a sheet of paper in the info pack to say they’ve done a service recently, but that’s it. Is that normal on Fiestas these days or should I be chasing Cazoo for an owners manual and service booklet like I had on my previous (2016) one?

If you download the Ford Pass app and put in your cars details it will have a full owners manual, and it may have the service details -

• Like 2

Definitely chase it, new cars still have them. Should have both especially the service book. What good is a new car if you can't sit and read the 2 inch thick owners manual!? its the best bit! 

• Like 1

Without he service book you can't prove that the car has been properly serviced when you come to sell it.

Just now, Bobr said:

Without he service book you can't prove that the car has been properly serviced when you come to sell it.

Yeah I would very likely not go ahead with a sale if there was no service book, and to be honest an owners manual aswell 

28 minutes ago, FezMan said:

Yeah I would very likely not go ahead with a sale if there was no service book, and to be honest an owners manual aswell 

I agree. I would never buy a car that had no service book.

Thanks for the input everyone. It comes with a service History of sorts but it's basically just 2 x A4 printed pieces of paper. I'll attach the photos. Looks like it was done a bit late too in terms of mileage and age. I'm guessing Cazoo weren't sure if it had already been done so just did one when they got it.

Just had phone call from from and she is going to chase it up, but sounds like they will just email through the same info that I already have, so I won't have a booklet to be stamped in future. When I traded in my last car though, it did say invoices were acceptable as proof of service history. Am I OK with what I have and just keeping invoices for future services or do I need an official booklet really? My concern is would I have trouble if I ever came to trade-in or just handing it back to the finance company at end of PCP period? Should I ask for a discount with this being missing? I'm still in my 7 day return period so I could send it back, but it is a great car for a great price and then I would be without a vehicle 😞

Sorry for all the questions - I'm stressing out!

IMG_4702.JPEG

IMG_4701.JPEG

29 minutes ago, Caltor said:

Thanks for the input everyone. It comes with a Service History of sorts but it's basically just 2 x A4 printed pieces of paper. I'll attach the photos. Looks like it was done a bit late too in terms of mileage and age. I'm guessing Cazoo weren't sure if it had already been done so just did one when they got it.

Just had phone call from from and she is going to chase it up, but sounds like they will just email through the same info that I already have, so I won't have a booklet to be stamped in future. When I traded in my last car though, it did say invoices were acceptable as proof of service history. Am I OK with what I have and just keeping invoices for future services or do I need an official booklet really? My concern is would I have trouble if I ever came to trade-in or just handing it back to the finance company at end of PCP period? Should I ask for a discount with this being missing? I'm still in my 7 day return period so I could send it back, but it is a great car for a great price and then I would be without a vehicle 😞

Sorry for all the questions - I'm stressing out!

IMG_4702.JPEG

IMG_4701.JPEG

Off the top of my head im not to sure if a service book is asked for etc when it comes to a sale, as ive always just had it. The cars nearly new so your services would still be done by Ford, so im not sure what they do in the case that a vehicle doesn't have a service book, I think they might just get a new one at the time but it won't have the previous service history and stamps in there.

I remember on an old fiesta I had I took It in for a service and they just replaced my current service book with a new one and put all the stamps from the previous into the new one, simply as the book had become worn.

If cazoo can't get you an actual fully stamped service book id maybe contact your local ford garage and see if they can give you one, im not sure if they will be able to add the stamps to it but its worth asking.

But like Bob has also said, when it comes to selling you will potentially lose buyers simply due to not having a book. 

Was the whole offside replaced?  Seems a little excessive during a service... :biggrin: 

If this is a 1.0 EcoBoost then the servicing is only every 2 years/18k miles - but they'll need an oil change before that which seems to be roughly 18 months from what I've seen on here.

You'll already lose potential buyers by the fact it hasn't been serviced at a Ford dealer.  I wouldn't be happy with that piece of paper as 'service history' myself though!  If you download the Ford Pass app, you'll probably find that it hasn't got any Ford service history at all as it wouldn't have been due yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If this is a 1.0 EcoBoost then the servicing is only every 2 years/18k miles - but they'll need an oil change before that which seems to be roughly 18 months from what I've seen on here.

Although true the car should still have a service book with it from Ford, with a 'pre-delivery inspection and service record' stamp in there with the car having something like 3 miles on the clock.

The car would then be serviced again when sold if bought from a dealer regardless of mileage/age (correct me if im wrong on this part, I bought my car 3 days short of it being 18 months so im not sure if it was serviced due to being 18 months or because id bought it)

• Like 2

Yes, as mentioned service officially every 2 years so won't have had one yet. I had an oil change on mine at 12 months but this was not recorded in the book because it wasn't classed as an official service action, though I do have the dealer invoice, of course.

As Ben says above though, PDI etc should have been entered in service book on new vehicle delivery.

I thought Ford were doing a digital service record nowadays? If so a dealer ought to be able to print a history for you.

Owners manuals can be accessed online through the Ford website owners area.

I've never yet sold or traded in a car without being asked for the documents, so it looks like a point to watch out for if dealing with Cazoo or similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FezMan said:

The car would then be serviced again when sold if bought from a dealer regardless of mileage/age (correct me if im wrong on this part, I bought my car 3 days short of it being 18 months so im not sure if it was serviced due to being 18 months or because id bought it)

Probably had the 'oil inspection' light on if it was around 18 months old.  There's no requirement for them to service it before a sale.  Just make the 'approved used' visual checks.

You and Roger are both right about the service book and having a PDI in there.  I was just saying that it wasn't 'late' to the service since the new service intervals. :smile: 

• Like 2

Ah I didn't realise the service interval was 2 years, I foolishly assumed it would be 12 months. No service history in FordPass but that's not surprising given it wouldn't be due yet anyway. That's good then, so if I can get the dealer to give me a new service book (or buy a blank one for £6 off ebay) on 1st service, all I will be missing is the PDI in it. Maybe the dealer will even fill that in, if they have the details on record...?

It would mean getting it serviced again soon though as it's done 16,346 miles and the "first one" is due 18,000 / March 2021.

I'm defo going to ask for money off if that's the case though. Cazoo buyers beware. Check the service history on your purchase!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Caltor said:

Ah I didn't realise the service interval was 2 years, I foolishly assumed it would be 12 months. No service history in FordPass but that's not surprising given it wouldn't be due yet anyway. That's good then, so if I can get the dealer to give me a new service book (or buy a blank one for £6 off ebay) on 1st service, all I will be missing is the PDI in it. Maybe the dealer will even fill that in, if they have the details on record...?

It would mean getting it serviced again soon though as it's done 16,346 miles and the "first one" is due 18,000 / March 2021.

I'm defo going to ask for money off if that's the case though. Cazoo buyers beware. Check the service history on your purchase!

It's up to you really.  The 2nd year service costs £255...so is it worth that when it's just had a service?  You could call this one the 'first' service and then just service it again in 2 years time (or when the oil inspection comes up...if Cazoo even reset that lol).  It depends how soon you're likely to sell, and how much you trust Cazoo's service I guess.  Although non-dealer history will put buyers off, the amount of depreciation between now and then may mean the cost of an extra service just isn't worth it.

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

I agree. I would never buy a car that had no service book.

Some new cars (non-Ford) don't come with a service book from new. Our Skoda does not, which I was surprised at when we bought it. According to the dealer the service history is kept on a database by them. This is fine if you only get your car serviced at a dealer or someone with access to it. However if you (like us) use a small independent or family run garage who does not have computer access to the database, then not much can be done. The only way is to keep all receipts in a folder yourself.

3 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Some new cars (non-Ford) don't come with a service book from new. Our Skoda does not, which I was surprised at when we bought it. According to the dealer the service history is kept on a database by them. This is fine if you only get your car serviced at a dealer or someone with access to it. However if you (like us) use a small independent or family run garage who does not have computer access to the database, then not much can be done. The only way is to keep all receipts in a folder yourself.

I just spoke to a Ford dealer and the guy on Parts counter said new set of manuals cost £60 and take about 3 weeks to come. He did say though that they don't really bother with stamping a book these days and just upload it to the Ford ETIS system. So I guess it would be a case of using Ford dealers for servicing or keeping the receipts/invoices. I won't have a record of the PDI but it obviously must have been done.

5 minutes ago, Caltor said:

I just spoke to a Ford dealer and the guy on Parts counter said new set of manuals cost £60 and take about 3 weeks to come. He did say though that they don't really bother with stamping a book these days and just upload it to the Ford ETIS system. So I guess it would be a case of using Ford dealers for servicing or keeping the receipts/invoices. I won't have a record of the PDI but it obviously must have been done.

£60 for a book pack!? :shocking:  

Just now, TomsFocus said:

£60 for a book pack!? :shocking:  

I know!  He reckons they are made to order in Germany but they don't sell many (surprise surprise)😆. I think you can get a set for under £25 on eBay. Worryingly you can also buy a stamped blank service book...😱

10 minutes ago, Jim H said:

The problem with this is that there's no invoice for the customer to see what's been done.  All you can see through the online system is the date, location and very brief 'service completed' or 'MOT completed'.  My Golf has the online record, but also comes with a service book fortunately. 

I don't understand why paper invoices aren't uploaded as PDF (without owners address for data protection) in the same way bank statements are for paperless accounts.

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

The problem with this is that there's no invoice for the customer to see what's been done.  All you can see through the online system is the date, location and very brief 'service completed' or 'MOT completed'.  My Golf has the online record, but also comes with a service book fortunately. 

I don't understand why paper invoices aren't uploaded as PDF (without owners address for data protection) in the same way bank statements are for paperless accounts.

Useful info, thanks. If I decide to keep it I will probably buy a blank service book for about £6 off eBay for the dealer to stamp (or at least record the service) and make sure I keep all invoices/receipts even if I get it serviced at a Ford dealer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caltor said:

I know!  He reckons they are made to order in Germany but they don't sell many (surprise surprise)😆. I think you can get a set for under £25 on ebay. Worryingly you can also buy a stamped blank service book...😱

Fair point, I suppose they make 'just' enough for all the new cars so rarely sell any after sale...still seems a lot for a bit of paper!  They don't even come in a premium leather case like my VW ones did!! :laugh: 

You can buy the generic brand stamps as well as the books, I had a couple myself!  Nothing dodgy, I used to do all my own servicing and the books just looked better with a stamp alongside the date and mileage.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You can buy the generic brand stamps as well as the books, I had a couple myself!  Nothing dodgy, I used to do all my own servicing and the books just looked better with a stamp alongside the date and mileage.

That's fair enough. This however looks dodgy to me. Although it is cited as only to be used if you have lost your service history book.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-SERVICE-BOOK-STAMPED-BRAND-NEW-AND-GENUINE-FOR-ALL-PETROL-DIESEL/363270014796?hash=item549494874c:g:7TgAAOSwwH5ffJtV

2 minutes ago, Caltor said:

That's fair enough. This however looks dodgy to me. Although it is cited as only to be used if you have lost your service history book.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-SERVICE-BOOK-STAMPED-BRAND-NEW-AND-GENUINE-FOR-ALL-PETROL-DIESEL/363270014796?hash=item549494874c:g:7TgAAOSwwH5ffJtV

Yes that is dodgy...  It's like the classic car ringer packs that people sell with a VIN and logbook from a car that's disintegrated in a shed.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Caltor said:

I just spoke to a Ford dealer and the guy on Parts counter said new set of manuals cost £60 and take about 3 weeks to come. 

Crikey! service book for the Mrs's old Ka went astray and our dealer just produced another foc and filled it in and stamped it on the spot. Said they kept a supply behind the desk for such eventualities. No doubt things are different these days!😃