Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace low quality engine parts?

Blaufish

Hi,

I'm new here. I recently picked up a 1.0 Ecoboost MK3.5 with 50K miles on it. I was wondering if there were some parts on the engine that are prone to failure that are usually replaced with better ones?

I'm not necessarily looking at improving power, just reliability and comfort (hood bonnet gas struts, LED's, etc.), if possible.

7 hours ago, Blaufish said:

I'm not necessarily looking at improving power, just reliability and comfort (hood bonnet gas struts, LED's, etc.), if possible.

No one ever had a standard bonnet arm break on them, so pretty reliable! Bonnet gas strut kits can be bought for less than £100 and are quite easy to fit. Your LED request is too wide ranging. Is it interior lights? Side lights? Indicators? Headlights? LEDs are getting to be quite a mature technology, but still, as a replacement for standard 'halogen' headlights, there are no definitive ones, and alot of debate over which, if any are any good. Use the 'search' function to read some ongoing LED threads to see what's going on, and welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

No one ever had a standard bonnet arm break on them, so pretty reliable! Bonnet gas strut kits can be bought for less than £100 and are quite easy to fit. Your LED request is too wide ranging. Is it interior lights? Side lights? Indicators? Headlights? LEDs are getting to be quite a mature technology, but still, as a replacement for standard 'halogen' headlights, there are no definitive ones, and alot of debate over which, if any are any good. Use the 'search' function to read some ongoing LED threads to see what's going on, and welcome to the forum.

As far as LED’s I checked some posts on puddle lights, interior, etc. That’s pretty straight forward. For the dipped beams (reflectors) I run Osram cool blue’s as I did on my previous cars, they’re pretty good IMO. I just don’t get the whole H15 thing so I want to LED-ify that. I’ve found a decent looking kit on eBay for 30 bucks but I’m not sure if any of those China LEDs are worth it.

LED’s are not my main concern though, nor are bonnet struts, that should be easy to do.

My main concern are engine parts. I’ve read about that plastic turbo hose and I have the rubber one so that’s good.

I’m reading about the recirc valve not being the best, I wonder if I should replace it and whether there are any other unreliable parts like that?

On the 1.0 ECOboost the recirculation valve of the turbocharger is basically a rubber membrane inside a plastic housing. A ruptured membrane is quite common.

Turbosmart produces a metal piston type recirculation valve as a direct replacement. The Turbosmart recirculation valve offers improved reliability and better performance/response of the valve which results in improved driveability.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

On the 1.0 ECOboost the recirculation valve of the turbocharger is basically a rubber membrane inside a plastic housing. A ruptured membrane is quite common.

Turbosmart produces a metal piston type recirculation valve as a direct replacement. The Turbosmart recirculation valve offers improved reliability and better performance/response of the valve which results in improved driveability.

I think I'll do that change although the "stutututu" is kinda annoying. Thanks.

The Turbosmart recirculation valve recirculates internally and does not make any more noise than the original recirculation valve.

Turbosmart also has a 50% internal / 50% external (blow off) valve which does make more sound than the original recirculation valve but these can result in DTC codes (external blow off is detected as an air leak by the PCM).

• Like 1

Thanks JW.

I assume this is what I'm looking for: https://www.airtecmotorsport.com/product/airtec-by-turbosmart-1-0-ecoboost-uprated-recirculating-valve/

I didn't realize they made 2 types of valves for the turbo, and all videos I watched on this were making that annoying noise...

I'm open to any other upgrade suggestions you might have. Thanks again.