Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does my mk 2.5 have rain sensing wipers?

Jason87

I have an 11 plate 1.6 tdci sport so end of model year, I think I have auto wipers but they seem to work intermittently. I assume the stalk dial is for the sensitivity? sometimes in the rain they wont come on for ages so I'll need to go to the 2nd level. Is this a common issue?

If you have auto lights then you'll have auto wipers. Also check for the sensor behind the rear view mirror (it'll be fairly obvious if its fitted there as the mirror is standalone otherwise).

The problem with rain sensors is it relays on the rain falling right on the sensor, otherwise it won't trigger.

The 2011 'Sport' was a limited run for the end of the Mk2, it does come with auto wipers.  The switch on the stalk is for sensitivity but I can never remember which way it works, if it doesn't work at one end, try it at the other.

Also if you've had a new screen without a new gel pad, there might be poor contact with the screen which will make the auto setting less effective.

I have a mk2.5 Focus Sport and the sensitivity on the stalk is down for more sensitive and up for less.

I find it more consistent than my mk4 Focus, which seems to be more random in use. 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The 2011 'Sport' was a limited run for the end of the Mk2, it does come with auto wipers.  The switch on the stalk is for sensitivity but I can never remember which way it works, if it doesn't work at one end, try it at the other.

Also if you've had a new screen without a new gel pad, there might be poor contact with the screen which will make the auto setting less effective.

this is what gets most going....  it works the exact opposite what to the intermittent function...  so short delay wipe is not sensitive, long delay is very sensitive

they are all useless on any car its all dependant upon the right type of rain

• Like 1

I remember seeing Jeremy Clarkson demonstrating 'rain sensing' wipers 30 odd years ago on a Dahatsu. Even then, I though who the heck can't operate a switch, my thoughts haven't changed!! LOL 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I remember seeing Jeremy Clarkson demonstrating 'rain sensing' wipers 30 odd years ago on a Dahatsu. Even then, I though who the heck can't operate a switch, my thoughts haven't changed!! LOL 🤣

When you're half way round a bend and an approaching van sends a tidal wave over the screen from an unexpectedly large puddle, the auto wipers immediately equip 'AAAAARGH' mode while you're panicking and flicking the indicator on instead... :tongue:  How often does that happen?  Quite often where I drive strangely! :laugh: 

Yes, they're not 100% perfect due to sensor limitation, but I find them incredibly useful.  I can't stand the constant scraping of intermittent on a screen that's slightly too dry for them, but still wet enough to need them on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the right course is a nice to operate flick wipe, that ends up doing it right all the time

I suppose the ideal operation would be voice activated, 'wipers on now...', or in Tom's case, 'Oh sh*t...!!' 😄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

How did you manage that? :laugh:

The same skill that allows me to operate a wiper switch, as opposed to a 'sensor' LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club