Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St-Line MK8 suspension knocking

drezito

Hello, I have a 2019 Fiesta St-Line MK8.

A few months after buying it I noticed a knocking noise coming from the right side of the car on uneven roads and in high bumps, even on low speed.

Went to the dealer and they found both the right side front and rear shock absorbers losing oil. Replaced them but a knocking noise remained on the front.  The sway bar links were tightened. Also dind't solve. Lastly the suspension arm from the right front was also replaced. Nothing solved the problem under warranty.

The chief mechanic told me Ford was not allowing any more interventions because too many things were tried without success so I'd have to wait from a engineer from the Tecnhinal Department to come to identify the origin. Another cars on the dealer had the noise also in the same conditions, all of them St-Line. The chief mechanic agreed that the knocking is not normal and must be defect and probably after the enginneer visit Ford will launch a recall for that matter. Also told me he suspected that the silent blocks for the Fiesta needed to be more thick and could be the source of the noise.

However the engineer never showed up because of the "pandemic". An excuse for cleaning their hands. Instead, they tested a car somewhere that supposedly has the same knocking and concluded that the knocking is not an anomaly, but a characteristic of the St-Line models.

I can't accept such conclusion from a supposed engineer that never entered my car. The chief mechanic told me that i dind't agreed that is not an anomaly, because no one would buy a car with that noise. But since Ford doens't recognize it as problem, he can't contine to make interventions to try to solve it. I also tried in other Ford workshops without success, either they don't hear it, or they try the same things other tried, without solving it.

I would like to know if anyone has had the knocking noise that I report and how got it fixed. It's such a shame for Ford...

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and both Ford and an independent mechanic could not trace the problem.

The independent mechanic assured me it was the drop links which I replaced with no improvement.

If the problem is unique to the ST Line and the only difference with the ST Line is the revised suspension, why does it only occur on the right of the car?

the problem occurs at lower speeds over a sharp bump or those plastic type speed humps. I can repeat the noise every time in certain locations.

I have noticed that that it is harder to replicate with a second passenger in the car which suggests the noise is affected by suspension that is loaded differently.

Let me know if you resolve yours.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Covert19 said:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and both Ford and an independent mechanic could not trace the problem.

The independent mechanic assured me it was the drop links which I replaced with no improvement.

If the problem is unique to the ST Line and the only difference with the ST Line is the revised suspension, why does it only occur on the right of the car?

the problem occurs at lower speeds over a sharp bump or those plastic type speed humps. I can repeat the noise every time in certain locations.

I have noticed that that it is harder to replicate with a second passenger in the car which suggests the noise is affected by suspension that is loaded differently.

Let me know if you resolve yours.

Hi, we have exactly the same questions, and even the mechanics can't answer them.

No one can explain what exactly the right side of car has different from the left that could cause this. But the noise can't be normal.

In my case the noise happens also with passengers and even with the car loaded with cargo. But I noticed something unusual. Near where I live there is a sharp bump where the noise occurs everytime. The left part of that bump has collapsed, making the road even and if I pass throw it with the left tyres on the flat part, and only the right part of the car goes over the bump, then no noise at all. For this I have no plausable explanation.

Ford continues to claim it's not an anomaly but can't explain why it happens. I think it's something expensive and they don't want to acknowledge a problem that effects lots of cars when they still have warranty.

I have a friend trying in another dealer where they are still trying to find the problem.

What kind of reparations did they try on your fiesta?

They claimed they couldn't hear anything until I took them on a test drive myself. they wanted the car back for a few days which I can't be without.

I can feel the noise being transmitted through the accelerator pedal as a vibration when I hear it.

I don't have the time to deal with a main dealer so I have tried to resolve it myself. We have a ramp at work and I have not found anything unusual whilst examining the underside and the suspension.

I will check the right engine mount this weekend.

I agree that they know what the issue is but don't want to admit it due to a possible recall.

IMG_0729.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, Covert19 said:

They claimed they couldn't hear anything until I took them on a test drive myself. they wanted the car back for a few days which I can't be without.

I can feel the noise being transmitted through the accelerator pedal as a vibration when I hear it.

I don't have the time to deal with a main dealer so I have tried to resolve it myself. We have a ramp at work and I have not found anything unusual whilst examining the underside and the suspension.

I will check the right engine mount this weekend.

I agree that they know what the issue is but don't want to admit it due to a possible recall.

IMG_0729.JPG

They never hear by themselves.
When I left my car the 1st time they said everything was ok with the suspension. Then I asked to go test drive the car with someone and the chief mechanic found from just driving that the shock absorbers were dead.
How can someone trust in them? It seems they don't have mechanics anymore...just people that replace parts

Anyway have you found out anything unusual under the car?

I had the exact same problem. I had my brakes changed at 30,000 on the mk8 (2018) and this stopped. Worth considering folks.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:40 PM, drezito said:

They never hear by themselves.
When I left my car the 1st time they said everything was ok with the suspension. Then I asked to go test drive the car with someone and the chief mechanic found from just driving that the shock absorbers were dead.
How can someone trust in them? It seems they don't have mechanics anymore...just people that replace parts

Anyway have you found out anything unusual under the car?

Nothing yet. I got a work colleague to drive the car today and he could hear it easily. He didn't think it was a suspension related issue and we work in a motorsport industry.

I will check the brakes.

front engine mount ( the hydraulic mount ) can make this noise on bumps and potholes , its located in the front right , so it could be the source of the knock, nearly every mk8 fiesta here in Egypt has this knock, the dealer insists that this noise is due to the nature of the mount as it is hydraulic and acts like a shock absorber, they say that this is according to Ford,  refusing to change any mount unless its leaking oil !!

18 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

front engine mount ( the hydraulic mount ) can make this noise on bumps and potholes , its located in the front right , so it could be the source of the knock, nearly every mk8 fiesta here in Egypt has this knock, the dealer insists that this noise is due to the nature of the mount as it is hydraulic and acts like a shock absorber, they say that this is according to Ford,  refusing to change any mount unless its leaking oil !!

Interesting...I have a friend that is getting his engine mount replaced because of this issue...but in my case the dealer says that does not know what is the source and that Ford says it is normal. It's of very bad taste to know that they are aware of the origin of the problem and refuse to change it.

They should put it in the brochure.

”Comes with unique knocking sound that will grow on you”

I hired a Titanium model for a month and it never did the same thing.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Covert19 said:

They should put it in the brochure.

”Comes with unique knocking sound that will grow on you”

I hired a Titanium model for a month and it never did the same thing.

🤣yes they should! That way I hadn't had so many sleepless nights. They told me it's a thing only of the ST-Line's...

Mine is back at workshop. Water infiltration under the glove box and the steering wheel rattles 😤. They say that the water enters through the windshield. The car is one year and half and only 7500 miles!!! I'm so disappointed with this problems that undermine my confidence in the brand.

• 3 months later...

I have a titanium that has been doing this since I picked it up brand new on 31 March 2021.  Having an argument with ford now as I want the car replaced.  Doesn’t sound safe and how can they assure me it is when they don’t know what it is.  Technician from Dunton has had the car out and recorded the noise and chief technician at local dealership has been out and heard it too.  Not acceptable that a brand new car has this fault and I am expected to live with it.  Good to know I am not alone though and I can confirm it’s not just ST line.  Got rid of a 2018 Zetec and that was fine so just don’t know 

I got a March 2021 built stlx and it knocks on right side over certain bumps. Noticed it as soon as I picked it up.

My out going 2018 stl was as quiet as a church mouse.

I suspect the radiator mounts as the top sways a good inch in and out. Might also be the coolant expansion tank as that’s just balanced there..!

I doubt very much it’s suspension related as that’s a different type of knock, more of a clonk which this isn’t (this is more of a hollow rattle).

I might experiment with packing the bits I suspect and will report back..

Otherwise I may take it back to TrustFord to have a look, but my experience of dealers looking for causes of noise isn’t great..

5 hours ago, Smartd00d said:

I got a March 2021 built stlx and it knocks on right side over certain bumps. Noticed it as soon as I picked it up.

My out going 2018 stl was as quiet as a church mouse.

I suspect the radiator mounts as the top sways a good inch in and out. Might also be the coolant expansion tank as that’s just balanced there..!

I doubt very much it’s suspension related as that’s a different type of knock, more of a clonk which this isn’t (this is more of a hollow rattle).

I might experiment with packing the bits I suspect and will report back..

Otherwise I may take it back to TrustFord to have a look, but my experience of dealers looking for causes of noise isn’t great..

I have a friend with an ST-Line in the same situation. The dealer in his area was more serious than mine and took the whole car apart looking for the source of the noise. I can say that they spent more than 3 months with the car: all suspension elements replaced, engine mounts, etc, even the dashboard was disassembled to see if there was something loose inside.
Conclusion: the dealer, after trying everything and more, couldn't find out.

Recently, my friend complained to Ford, who promptly said that the dealer shouldn't have done all of those interventions, since the noise is characteristic due to the right side suspension arm being longer than the left one.

In my case they didn't give me any justification, just said it wasn't an anomaly and that it was a noise exclusive to ST-Lines due to the lower suspension and the 17 inches rims. However, this friend of mine tested other versions (Titanium, Active, etc.) with the same knocking, so it's clearly also a problem of other Fiesta models.

I don't want to take away your hopes but I've been at this for almost 2 years now and honestly I've had enough of trying to fight to get the problem fixed when there is no solution from Ford.
Whatever this problem is has to be solved out of warranty.
In my view it is certain suspension elements that need stronger (reinforced) parts and Ford under warranty will never replace stock material with a better one.

What a depressing thread! Sure shows Ford still lacks in build quality doesn't it :bash:

• 3 weeks later...

HI all

Just wondering if anyone who's posted has any updates on their issue? I've have the same noise in my STL since picking it up in February. Due to one thing and another, I only got round to booking it into dealer last week; I had found this thread beforehand which was of course interesting! Dealer had vehicle, however I've just dropped it back off as technichan did say last week they could hear the noise on test drives, their car (same model) didn't have the noise but they'd need it back to spend longer trying to identify source, so, it's now in for a couple of days.

In my case, I didn't think the noise was a concern as I had not secured the jack and brace (having quickly moved it from my precious car and flung it in), it was when I got round to sorting that when things started sounding 'off!'.

From my own experience, as other have mentioned, it is a very specific sound (as if something is loose and knocking), a little too high pitched for suspension related; seems to be right hand side but I am not 100 % sure whether 'front' or 'side' as the noise does seem to travel.

The noise only manifests in the following situations

Low speed*, over any 'sharp' drop/edge and particularly bits in the road where cables/trenches have previously been laid and filled in then sink a bit.

I've also noticed the noise when the LEFT wheel encounters a sunken drain cover (it does not need to be sharp edged, or pothole like) 

Although there is no problem on speedbumps (the tarmac/concrete graduated ones), there is a slight noise where these have a 'lip' at the top (e.g. concrete edging**)

* The noise can (Very rarely) occur at speed, presumably when the road conditions are in favour - indeed there is at least one video on Youtube - a review when the car is being accelerated in third gear and the noise can be heard (drivers hands are on the wheel).

** Ironically the road which leads to my street contains several 'noise instigators' (even more ironically the overall state of the road is terrible but the noise only occurs at specific points:

1) A small (1/2 inch') pothole that barely is felt with the right wheel (normally I avoid it, however testing means I deliberately drove over it several times) produces the noise

2) Speedbumps: Two on the road: they both have what is concrete 2" Kerbing at the 'high point' - the tarmac is then sloped away to road level: on these ramps, the traffic has flattened the tarmac slightly leading to a half inch or so lip to the concrete retainer: this will cause a slight knock (the sharp edge?)

3) 'Dips' in the road. An mentioned earlier 'sunken' bits of road seem to be the main catalyst. Oddly enough there are two sections, again right next to where I stay - which are practically invisible unless you know where to look - and the 'down' and 'up' are four feet apart (not a small 12 or six inch gap) - the drop is about 2 inches, not acute but 'dipped'. The 'clunk' can be heard going in - and out ' of the dip(s) - so when the nose drops and then rises it makes the noise: Speed 10-18mph or so. If you speed up a bit you can avoid the noise!

Since I can literally look up this road from the house, (and can say there were no issues with any previous vehicles - last was a 68 plate Fiesta Zetec ) I can see the road (at those points) does make cars 'dip then rise' noticeably.

I am also reasonably sure that the REAR wheels also can produce the noise (But slightly less so) - not all the time however - does this mean they do, or that sometimes, whatever is causing the noise is 'rebounding'? (this is distinct from the very obvious noise when the front wheels dip)

My Mk8 2019 Zetec does this, I've had the car in the workshop 6 times with this issue, I opened a complaint with Ford UK & Ford Credit which came back as "characteristics of the vehicle" they have given me a £200 ford voucher for my inconvenience and closed the case.

They claim it's all hatchbacks that use the ST Line design (Zetec, titanium, ST line, basic etc) suffer with this fault but the Active shapes don't suffer with it

Never had an engineer visit and the dealer blames me for the knocking...

I've also had a blown Aircon pipe & failed audio unit (behind the sync 3 screen) 

I personally think someone has made an error at the design stage and it's an issue with a chassis leg inside the body but how would they prove that?

Honestly this has been the worst car I've ever owned this was my first new vehicle and my first experience of PCP AND MY FIRST FORD!

Just thought add my story to the ever increasing amount of complaints

On 7/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, zebbers025 said:

HI all

Just wondering if anyone who's posted has any updates on their issue? I've have the same noise in my STL since picking it up in February. Due to one thing and another, I only got round to booking it into dealer last week; I had found this thread beforehand which was of course interesting! Dealer had vehicle, however I've just dropped it back off as technichan did say last week they could hear the noise on test drives, their car (same model) didn't have the noise but they'd need it back to spend longer trying to identify source, so, it's now in for a couple of days.

In my case, I didn't think the noise was a concern as I had not secured the jack and brace (having quickly moved it from my precious car and flung it in), it was when I got round to sorting that when things started sounding 'off!'.

From my own experience, as other have mentioned, it is a very specific sound (as if something is loose and knocking), a little too high pitched for suspension related; seems to be right hand side but I am not 100 % sure whether 'front' or 'side' as the noise does seem to travel.

The noise only manifests in the following situations

Low speed*, over any 'sharp' drop/edge and particularly bits in the road where cables/trenches have previously been laid and filled in then sink a bit.

I've also noticed the noise when the LEFT wheel encounters a sunken drain cover (it does not need to be sharp edged, or pothole like) 

Although there is no problem on speedbumps (the tarmac/concrete graduated ones), there is a slight noise where these have a 'lip' at the top (e.g. concrete edging**)

* The noise can (Very rarely) occur at speed, presumably when the road conditions are in favour - indeed there is at least one video on Youtube - a review when the car is being accelerated in third gear and the noise can be heard (drivers hands are on the wheel).

** Ironically the road which leads to my street contains several 'noise instigators' (even more ironically the overall state of the road is terrible but the noise only occurs at specific points:

1) A small (1/2 inch') pothole that barely is felt with the right wheel (normally I avoid it, however testing means I deliberately drove over it several times) produces the noise

2) Speedbumps: Two on the road: they both have what is concrete 2" Kerbing at the 'high point' - the tarmac is then sloped away to road level: on these ramps, the traffic has flattened the tarmac slightly leading to a half inch or so lip to the concrete retainer: this will cause a slight knock (the sharp edge?)

3) 'Dips' in the road. An mentioned earlier 'sunken' bits of road seem to be the main catalyst. Oddly enough there are two sections, again right next to where I stay - which are practically invisible unless you know where to look - and the 'down' and 'up' are four feet apart (not a small 12 or six inch gap) - the drop is about 2 inches, not acute but 'dipped'. The 'clunk' can be heard going in - and out ' of the dip(s) - so when the nose drops and then rises it makes the noise: Speed 10-18mph or so. If you speed up a bit you can avoid the noise!

Since I can literally look up this road from the house, (and can say there were no issues with any previous vehicles - last was a 68 plate Fiesta Zetec ) I can see the road (at those points) does make cars 'dip then rise' noticeably.

I am also reasonably sure that the REAR wheels also can produce the noise (But slightly less so) - not all the time however - does this mean they do, or that sometimes, whatever is causing the noise is 'rebounding'? (this is distinct from the very obvious noise when the front wheels dip)

Hi,

You have made a good analysis. I agree with most of the things you said. You touched on an important point that I was also wondering about, which is the fact that the noise can be produced by the rear wheels.

I don't have much to add, my bad experience is described in this thread and from the moment Ford claimed characteristic the dealer stopped caring. They even sent me a registered letter claiming that it's not an anomaly (and basically saying that I complain too much and that they would no longer see my car to solve this issue).

11 hours ago, SeanS123 said:

My Mk8 2019 Zetec does this, I've had the car in the workshop 6 times with this issue, I opened a complaint with Ford UK & Ford Credit which came back as "characteristics of the vehicle" they have given me a £200 ford voucher for my inconvenience and closed the case.

They claim it's all hatchbacks that use the ST Line design (Zetec, titanium, ST line, basic etc) suffer with this fault but the Active shapes don't suffer with it

Never had an engineer visit and the dealer blames me for the knocking...

I've also had a blown Aircon pipe & failed audio unit (behind the sync 3 screen) 

I personally think someone has made an error at the design stage and it's an issue with a chassis leg inside the body but how would they prove that?

Honestly this has been the worst car I've ever owned this was my first new vehicle and my first experience of PCP AND MY FIRST FORD!

Just thought add my story to the ever increasing amount of complaints

We share the story. My first new Ford and first new car which is a source of constant disappointments because of problems that intensify or new that arise and that Ford keeps ignoring.

Ford has treated me with poor ethics, far gone are the times when car brands cared about customer feedback and took complaints seriously. And even farther gone are the times when the official dealerships of the brands had technicians and mechanics of excellence while today we have people who do nothing but replace parts that their chiefs tells them to, not knowing what they are for and not taking any care with the customers' cars.

Their approach with this situation was embarrassing. Going from "there is a clear problem, we are identifying it", to "an engineer from the factory has to come to check it out" to "no engineer is coming and the noise is characteristic", it was a clear disrespect to me and today they no longer have my trust to buy any more cars. In fact, not even for maintenance.

It took them 6 months to tell me it's normal (with me calling and sending emails every month insisting both with the dealer and the customer service department). For me, it took them 6 months to decide how they were going to convince customers that they didn't make cars with defects that they don't plan to have them fixed.

I truly hope that afeter a few years we will not discover structural problems in our cars that could endanger our safety because of this issue.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, drezito said:

Hi,

You have made a good analysis. I agree with most of the things you said. You touched on an important point that I was also wondering about, which is the fact that the noise can be produced by the rear wheels.

I don't have much to add, my bad experience is described in this thread and from the moment Ford claimed characteristic the dealer stopped caring. They even sent me a registered letter claiming that it's not an anomaly (and basically saying that I complain too much and that they would no longer see my car to solve this issue).

My 2018 Zetec Certainly wasn't in any way affected by the noise. I picked my car up from dealer at the beginning of the week; they said that they'd just had another ST line in on a 68 Plate with the same issue, but they simply could not ID the cause, and will be in contact after raising a case with Ford. 

I have given the car a good test (Long run on various road types). As for the main 'knock', when watching various vehicles going over the offending section of road near my house, (I have a head on view (Or rear is the car is heading away), I can see that the although the car dips into the 'groove' in the road, the wheels actually compress upwards - Ironically I have noticed is very easily on VW Golfs (!!) - Zetec FIestas, (Non ST Lines) seem to have a bit of give (The car body can be seen to move a bit).

I have yet to get a good study of how front wheels appear from the outside!

Suffice it to say, having driven over smooth, rough, undulating and cobbled roads at all speeds the noise is only present as previously described. I've even driven on concrete slabbed road with noticeable gaps between each section - ironcally - believe it or not the ST Line is smoother over those gaps than my Zetec was!

What I DID notice was a rattle (like something was loose) over some rough roads TODAY (like a sort of resonance induced) - and it was very noticeable. After a while I drove the same road again and the noise was gone!

So the mystery continues!

• 1 month later...

Hi, anyone any further with this mystery noise?

ive had mine in with TrustFord Epsom twice in the last week and they’ve replaced shocks and tightened radiators, trim etc and still the noise persists.

I think it is not suspension but a component moving over certain undulations and certain short sharp bumps where the car rebounds and something jumps and lands back down causing the noise. It appears to be worse when coasting too and more so when both front wheels are affected.

It sounds like a creak/scrape/knock sound all in one, definitely from the front, towards the right and possibly behind the front cluster, but probably from the engine bay.

It’s all rather annoying…

On 8/23/2021 at 10:02 PM, Smartd00d said:

Hi, anyone any further with this mystery noise?

ive had mine in with TrustFord Epsom twice in the last week and they’ve replaced shocks and tightened radiators, trim etc and still the noise persists.

I think it is not suspension but a component moving over certain undulations and certain short sharp bumps where the car rebounds and something jumps and lands back down causing the noise. It appears to be worse when coasting too and more so when both front wheels are affected.

It sounds like a creak/scrape/knock sound all in one, definitely from the front, towards the right and possibly behind the front cluster, but probably from the engine bay.

It’s all rather annoying…

No Further forward yet! I agree with what you say; I know that suspension knock can happen in very specific scenarios, but this doesn't sound like drop links, broken springs or loose ball joint all of which I've had on various cars over the years. I have been fiddling and cable tied the radiator HP pipe and condenser as they had a lot of play; this has not made any difference so the snips will be out. Something, I am sure is doing precisely what you say, and it is resonating on the body. One thing I have noticed is that it can be triggered by the front left wheel only (but the noise is on the right)

Hello,

From what I know recently Ford has been saying the noise is normal because the right suspension arm is different (larger I think) from the left one.

While that may be the reason, it is not acceptable for Ford to put cars on sale like that and say it is normal without fixing the problem.

On my car the suspension arm was even replaced with no change in the noise. Probably has to be changed to non-Ford parts to fix it.

I can't see how Ford can say it's down to the ST-Line having a bigger suspension component on the right that is causing a knocking sound.

If that were the case all ST-Lines would have a knocking sound. 

I have a 2019 ST-Line 140 with just over 35,000 miles on the clock and I have no knocking sounds.

On a side note I was hoping the Michelin Pilot sport 4's were going to last a bit longer than they did, only got about 28,000 miles out of the front set.

I got about 40,000 out of my previous two sets of Continental sport contacts.

I have now put a set on Conti's on the front and they seem a bit quieter with no noticeable difference to the handling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club