Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St-Line MK8 suspension knocking

drezito

1 hour ago, DvxPT said:

Here's a little video showing the origin of the noise.

And here's another one showing the problem:

Interesting! There is no metallic sound from the skirt on my car (Being an ST Line the skirt is different) that  I can make from the outside; I can feel a fixing of some sort inside both skirts which feels like a twist nut inside a sleeve (moulded to the skirt) but they are both the same. Your noise (from inside the car) is very similar to the noise I get, but it does not occur during turning, only as earlier described. Eager to hear how things go when you get the car back!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the car came back from the shop yesterday. They fixed the side skirt, they also checked the charriot (don't know if it's the same word that English people use for this part) and saw that it was unleveled, but the noise it's still there. 

It's not as aggressive as before, but it's still there and it's driving me nuts. I suspect that it could really be suspension related. (sway bars) 

Really disappointed with the car, I will probably have to sell it and get a new one. It was my first proper car and my idea was keeping it for a long time, but now I only want to get rid of it. 

I saw someone saying that it could be the brake disks that could be warped or even the pads that could be moving inside its casing.

I really don't know what to check anymore. 

10 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Well, the car came back from the shop yesterday. They fixed the side skirt, they also checked the charriot (don't know if it's the same word that English people use for this part) and saw that it was unleveled, but the noise it's still there. 

It's not as aggressive as before, but it's still there and it's driving me nuts. I suspect that it could really be suspension related. (sway bars) 

Really disappointed with the car, I will probably have to sell it and get a new one. It was my first proper car and my idea was keeping it for a long time, but now I only want to get rid of it. 

I saw someone saying that it could be the brake disks that could be warped or even the pads that could be moving inside its casing.

I really don't know what to check anymore. 

Sorry to hear that. I don't think it is the brake pads (totally different sound - I have experienced it on a previous car, after the pads were changed, shims were not seated correctly). I am still 'investigating'. I have noticed that the left front wheel only (that is, if the left wheel hits a suitable dip) the noise is there, (Or both wheels) but NOT right wheel(s) only.

I went to the dealership yesterday and talked with the chief engineer. He said that when the car was there 2 months ago, they had put the car on a elevator and started rocking the car to replicate the motion that triggers the noise, and he said that thy could feel the vibration in the front rail of the chassis. 

If there is in fact a structural problem in the chassis, and since I bought the car 3 months ago, that would be a reason for returning the car and have it replaced for another one right? 

I don't think that anyone would accept having a car in those conditions. Even more if it was recently purchased. 

It is very very difficult to get a car replaced... they probably have to find a definitive fault. Did the engineer state there is a structural issue with the chassis? Or did he say there is a noise or vibration coming from it or travelling through it?

I am not sure you would get a used car replaced for a noise or vibration through the chassis unless it is a fault which could be deemed dangerous or make the car non roadworthy. Did you not report it or hear it in the first few days of owning and driving the car?

I think you may have a fight on your hands.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

It is very very difficult to get a car replaced... they probably have to find a definitive fault. Did the engineer state there is a structural issue with the chassis? Or did he say there is a noise or vibration coming from it or travelling through it?

I am not sure you would get a used car replaced for a noise or vibration through the chassis unless it is a fault which could be deemed dangerous or make the car non roadworthy. Did you not report it or hear it in the first few days of owning and driving the car?

I think you may have a fight on your hands.

Good luck.

I reported it about 2 weeks after I received the car. I really didn't noticed anything when I did the test drive, then again, driving the car for the first time for about 30 minutes, with the salesman there, it would have been difficult to hear the noise. The engineer only mentioned it when I talked to him and i said that it could be something in the chassis that is crooked. After that he told me what they have noticed when they were searching for the noise. The thing is, if there is indeed something loose or crooked in the chassis, it may be not a problem now, but 5 years from now, it may become one, because there is a weak spot there. I don't think that anyone would want a car like that. 

Quite correct, I wouldn't want a car that makes a noise constantly while driving it.

If the engineer thinks the chassis is "crooked" then he either needs to find the exact issue and do something about it especially if yourself and them think the car could become unsafe. From what you have said at this point it is all ifs, possibilities and maybes after seemingly a long time of trying. You have said the dealer or yourself have found the issue on several occasions with a loose insulation panel (or something similar), the sideskirts making the noise and tightening and loosening a bolt somewhere to no avail.

It will be difficult to pinpoint the problem as the things you thought were the issue have not cured the fault and as previously stated, I would doubt the dealer would offer you a replacement car for an unknown noise. 

Has the car been in an accident?

I hope you get a positive outcome as things like this are frustrating but very often don't go away.

Good luck.

Well, when I checked the car, it had a loose grille, exactly on the side that is making the noise, when I went to the dealership to fix it, they put the grille back in place, and I remember someone there saying that it would only come loose with a hit. 

I even said that the car was already like this when I checked it the first time I went to the dealers.

I have some photos that I took that day, and you can see the loose grille. So yeah, maybe that is going to be my "get out of jail(or fiesta) free card."

I've been going to that dealership since I was a kid. My parents have been buying all their cars for 20+ years in that place. They should have been a little more honest when they sold me the car. 

I also can't understand why I had to wait a full month to receive the car, and it was delayed because "the car was being inspected and reconditioned before delivery" but the car still had the loose grille when I got it. 

When I delivered the car to check the noise the first time, it was there for almost 3 weeks, with no fix. 

I then had to wait for them to have an available elevator for them to check the problem again, and I waited for another month. 

There is a law in my country regarding used car warranty that states that if the used car has a defect, the customer has to alert the dealership, and they have a month to fix the problem. 

If the problem is not fixed in that timeframe, the customer can ask for a partial refund, replace the car for another that is equal in value, or even give up it totally, with the full refund of the money. 

• Like 1

Well, I took the car again to the dealership, and they had 5 guys checking the car at the same time. 

They found that the problem is in the top strut mounts. waiting for them to be replaced next week. 

I have brought the car back so I can use it in the weekend. 

The weird this is that the car doesn't make any noise anymore.🤔

Good to know they think they have found the issue. At least they don't think it's a chassis issue any longer.

Good luck.🤞

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

So after 5 (!) attempts by Trust Ford in Epsom to resolve the noise, it’s still there.

The frustrating thing is that a test drive with a Master Tech (!?), and the salesman with me pointing out the noise and then both agreeing it’s a problem still hasn’t stopped them giving a verdict of no fault found.

Within minutes of having the car back it’s making the noise over sharp bumps and dips (but not over man holes and uneven surface!).

Has anyone had any more success or ideas about this problem that Ford just don’t seem to even acknowledge let alone have the skills to be able to fix?

The car is a 21 plate on a 38 month finance agreement (Options), which started in June. Problem was notified to the dealership within the 1st week of ownership. Another dealer has also failed to diagnose the problem. The car (like all my 10 or so new Fords over the last 20 or so years), was purchased on the Ford Privilege scheme. 

What would be your next move if you were me?

The wife had a Mk8 when they very first came out. (2nd customer at the dealership). Cut a long story short, Satnav never ever worked as it should have, kept losing signal and blacking the screen out. Dealer couldn't fix nor could Ford and they tried everything. Stopping the car, turning engine off, open driver door, close door, start engine cleared the fault until a random time later.... this wasn't a solution if on a motorway.

Is your car financed via Ford Credit? If so go through them. We struck a very good deal to keep the car as we could manage without Satnav. We were also prepared to hand the car back and walk away from it if necessary (with a deposit refund). Ford didn't want this so we came to a very good agreement / compensation package.

We also had a very good relationship with the dealership over the past few years and they fought our corner with Ford also.

Your difficulty may be that Ford don't acknowledge the problem you have nor will the dealer or techs at more than one dealership. You have to have the dealer on your side backing up your issue.

If it is a rattle or vibration that they don't have service Bulletins for or it is a known issue you may struggle.

Good luck, you will probably need it.

Thanks Mavroz, yes Ford MC or Ford Finance were on the list so I’ll see what they say.

Interestingly this morning, it tipped down last night and the noise was significantly reduced probably down to the car being wet and dampening the sound. It wasn’t driven in the rain so only the bodywork or drainage channels must have got wet as it stood there. Does make me think it’s panels, front light, side skirt or mirror perhaps.. hmmm…

A poster suggests that it is strut top mountings. From my experience with lots of cars, I would give that serious consideration. VW could never find it on the Up! but that is what it felt like. It would be at a slightly different angle to that on the left, camber on the road is usually about half a degree more on the kerb side.

Strut suspension often lifts the car when turning and it is not unusual for the top mounts to be noisy as they carry a lot of weight.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smartd00d said:

Thanks Mavroz, yes Ford MC or Ford Finance were on the list so I’ll see what they say.

Interestingly this morning, it tipped down last night and the noise was significantly reduced probably down to the car being wet and dampening the sound. It wasn’t driven in the rain so only the bodywork or drainage channels must have got wet as it stood there. Does make me think it’s panels, front light, side skirt or mirror perhaps.. hmmm…

If you are going down the finance route to complain, we proved the new car we took delivery of was not fit for purpose.... the satnav had an unfixable fault. I am not sure where they will sit with a rattle or vibration / noise. Give them a try but prepare for a fight and wait.

My car was making the clicking sound when turning,but I also found that when I turned the car really slow when parking, it made a thumping sound from the suspension, and that made clear that the problem was in the right top strut mount. 

They haven't been replaced yet but I don't have the clicking sound then I turned the car at any situation, and now I only have the noise when turning to park the car.

Going to change the mounts on November 4th.

Try and see if you have the noise when parking the car, but you have to do it almost in slow motion. It looks like something is blocking the car from turning, but it's only 1 or 2 seconds. 

If the mounts are not properly tightened, they can move from their socket and make the noise, that is more pronounced in slow turns, but only clicking when turning the car in a normal driving situation. 

I also think that the symptoms are not 100% the same as other users, but it depends on how much play you have in the top strut mounts. 

That's why some Fiestas have the noise only on bumps, others only when turning, and some have the 2 types of noise. 

Hope this helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone, this is Umut from İstanbul. I just bought a 2020 fiesta 1.0 99bhp auto ( style trim, more or less basic version ) as second hand with just 5000 mile on clock. I had this exact same metallic sound under some specific road conditions and at the right side of the car absolutely. Visited official service centers and they talk exact  same trash, nature of design, longer right side arms from wheelbox?, not an anomaly, too much road imperfection compared to Europe for the car to deal with bla bla bla. But funny part is like almost all of you guys/gals know, it is coming under some specific situations and those are not mostly deep potholes. There is also uneven bonet installation in my case, right side being very close to the body. I really dont beleive it is absorbers or very obvious mechanical parts but cant prove anything. If anyone figured out anything that really worked, please, please, please let me know. 

• Like 1

hi again. pardon my English in advance as subject is kind of above my language skills. But wanted to give an update.

As a last time, i decided to try a very well rated private garage. Before going there i even shared this forum topic and my previous service feedbacks to prepare him about the issue.

Anyway, he sat on passenger seat, i drove for some time and what usually he heard was some normal suspension noises and some rattles 😁. Although while driving to the service i heard that devil noise in many instances, with him i felt almost embarrassed like i was making up some non existent issue. Just before arriving to service, driving over white strips which are painted on tarmac to warn drivers to slow down, that voice strongly came from right side and he said that this is not normal. Because those white paint strips are very thin and those hardly  can push absorbers to their limit or anything.

So we parked, he told me to leave the car for one day and i asked him to check the bonnet which is not installed in an truely aligned manner. He checked but said that almost all Ford models in recent years have the same issue. I insisted him to check if it can make a noise in some vertical movements by pushing the lower body parts it is adjasent to. He didnt think so but wanted to try to apply a simple isolation material which is normally used for window, door heat isolation (like https://www.hepsiburada.com/acord-kapi-ve-pencere-fitili-5-60-metre-yapiskanli-pm-HB000001ODP5 ). It was applied to side line of bonnet and he wanted me to try.

I drove like 1 hr and my initial impression is that half or more of harsh metal clunking, crash whatever noise from right side has vanished. In some more high surge moves of car - it doesnt need to be pothole as you know - noise still is there but i am positive that in most cases i dont hear. To be sure, after driving to another city tomorrow - 150 km away from İstanbul, i will listen and again write my observation.

Good morning. 

My problem with the noise in the front right side of my mk8 fiesta was something in the bodywork that was clinking and making the noise when turning. They didn't explain more about the issue, but I'll try to talk with the dealer's engineer next time, and will post here. It may be of help. 

I'm my case, I have had the left suspension and the top strut mounts changed, and now I'm waiting for the right suspension part to arrive to get that changed also, because my car makes a click noise when turning slowly when I'm parking the car. 

hi again, so per my broader observation about the effect of bonnet isolation, i suspect it is the root cause. probably i was very willing to fix it very much but no. So after more forum reading, i came along with this https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/looking-at-passenger-side-engine-mounts.26013/    . my next move will be this 

• 4 weeks later...

after a month of agony, i have tried one more thing about bonnet. I have put a pile of fabric - ordinary dryer fabric, folded like 2 -3 times-  under hinge at the right side, expecting to push any gap of hinge mechanism or tighten bonnet somehow. For last two days, in 90% locations of my everyday commute where  i normally hear the knocking noise, i didnt or i am going mad. I will continue to listen and write here how it goes for forum people who are in pain like me.

• 6 months later...

Well finally this week my personal struggle with knocking was finally resolved.

After a year of persistence with the dealership and the sublime involvement of the Ford Relationship Centre, the problem was found to be a defective lower engine mount!

It was replaced under warranty and the car runs up and down road bumps just like it should for a 2021 MY Fiesta: quietly and without and drama.

I can’t actually believe it but FRC were fantastic and ultimately managed the issue to a successful conclusion for me and they even offered a monetary goodwill gesture off their own backs, which is very commendable too.

Trust Ford Epsom have bought themselves one last chance with me too after actually solving the problem..

• Like 2

Nice to hear a happy end 👍