Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket air filter for a tdci

Sully04

So I’m looking at getting an aftermarket air filter but I’ve heard you need an oil catch can and EGR blank to go with it, are those necessary? Cheers

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you want a different air filter? From my experience, it may give a bit more induction noise, but no extra performance. On my previous car (Skoda Fabia vRS diesel) I changed my dirty-ish paper one to a K&N panel whilst on a rolling road. I gained a massive 1.1BHP (0.5%). I'm not sure if a Fiesta will be the same.

However, if you do decide it is still worth buying one, then a panel filter will simply fit inside your existing filter housing. A cone filter normally replaces the airbox and fit's to the Mass Airflow Meter, I don't think you need to change any pipes, but might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you want a different air filter? From my experience, it may give a bit more induction noise, but no extra performance. On my previous car (Skoda Fabia vRS diesel) I changed my dirty-ish paper one to a K&N panel whilst on a rolling road. I gained a massive 1.1BHP (0.5%). I'm not sure if a Fiesta will be the same.

However, if you do decide it is still worth buying one, then a panel filter will simply fit inside your existing filter housing. A cone filter normally replaces the airbox and fit's to the Mass Airflow Meter, I don't think you need to change any pipes, but might be wrong.

I’m not going for any big performance upgrades yet but I was hoping I could hear the turbo more and aren’t induction kits good for your engine allowing it to breath more? 

I think I may have gained the same swapping the dirty paper element for a clean standard item.

Please bear in mind that on a turbodiesel you have to add fuel to make more power, not air because the amount of air is fixed by the ECU using the boost control solenoid in conjunction with the MAP sensor. This can only be changed with a remap. In saying that, I know of plenty of modified diesel owners running standard paper filters.

Induction kits are best suited for petrol engines.

Before you ask or attempt it. Do not fit a Dump valve. The way a diesel works, a dump valve won't work at all. 

5 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Before you ask or attempt it. Do not fit a Dump valve. The way a diesel works, a dump valve won't work at all. 

Haha no way😂 I definitely know dump valves aren’t for diesels unless you get an electric one lol