Do Not Sell My Personal Information

alternator failed

mama_bear

so driving home yesterday and had a few gremlins with my focus 2010 1.8 petrol zetec s focus, I believe the alternator to be at fault, anyone changed one and how much of a pain is it going to be or dose anyone know of any links to a how to i could watch all the ones I've seen have been a totally different setup to my car.

cheers x

Have you actually tested the alternator to see if it's at fault? Replacing random bits willy nilly in the hope it fixes your problem gets very expensive

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Have you actually tested the alternator to see if it's at fault? Replacing random bits willy nilly in the hope it fixes your problem gets very expensive

Yes put a drop tester on battery and checked charge out put and also tested with a multi meter and I'm getting 12.4 volts with a steady drop which would suggest that the alternator is not working unless anyone can suggest something else 

Just now, mama_bear

Yes put a drop tester on battery and checked charge out put and also tested with a multi meter and I'm getting 12.4 volts with a steady drop which would suggest that the alternator is not working unless anyone can suggest something else 

Could just be a matter of the auxiliary belt is worn or has completely come off :)

before buying anything, make sure you can see a belt on there and actually moving on the alternator. Failing that, replacing the alternator ain’t too bad.

second hand, your talking about £30/40 for the alternator. New would be about £60/70

and labour, about 1 or 2 hours. So about £150ish maybe less.

Just now, Monks600
Just now, mama_bear

Could just be a matter of the auxiliary belt is worn or has completely come off :)

before buying anything, make sure you can see a belt on there and actually moving on the alternator. Failing that, replacing the alternator ain’t too bad.

second hand, your talking about £30/40 for the alternator. New would be about £60/70

£150 ish all in that is! Parts and labour, Sorry!

1 hour ago, mama_bear said:

If that voltage is with the engine running then yes that would indicate a bad alternator. At 12.4c and dropping I'm surprised you can still start the engine tbh.

Should be over 14v when engine running and stay around that figure when you put a load on (radio, lights, heated windscreen, fan on full etc.).

1 hour ago, Monks600 said:

Could just be a matter of the auxiliary belt is worn or has completely come off 🙂

Could you put a link up for the alternator please as the cheapest 1 I can find is £120 

At £70 you're only going to get some cheap crap from eurocarparts or eBay that won't last 2 minutes. Spend a bit more and get either a Denso or genuine Ford. A denso should be around £150 ish.

• Like 1