Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car classification with new engine?

I have a query about how a car would be classified when a new engine is transplanted into the Shell.
So say the car was a 1.3 focus and the donor car had a 2.0 engine inside and was not a focus.

Would the dvla need to be contacted to reclassify the car to a 2.0 version of the focus? Would it just be classified at a 2.0 or a modified version of the 1.3?

For insurance purposes they would need to be notified, but again would the owner tell them the car has been modified or could you just say a 2.0 car had been purchased. A modified car would surely cost more because it is modified rather than having the 2.0 engine as a standard feature.

The DVLA only really care about the engine size fitted and the emissions it puts out. Whether that engine comes from a Fiesta, Focus or a even spitfire, it doesn't matter.

So yes, if you did somehow manage to shoehorn a 27.0L V12 into the engine bay of your Focus, then it would be registered as a 27L, 12 cylinder engine with the DVLA.

Changing your log book details used to take months before covid, I'd dread to think how long it would take now.

52 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The DVLA only really care about the engine size fitted and the emissions it puts out. Whether that engine comes from a Fiesta, Focus or a even spitfire, it doesn't matter.

So yes, if you did somehow manage to shoehorn a 27.0L V12 into the engine bay of your Focus, then it would be registered as a 27L, 12 cylinder engine with the DVLA.

Changing your log book details used to take months before covid, I'd dread to think how long it would take now.

Can you imagine having a spitfire engine in a car😁 People talk about cars so fast that they fly, in that instance it would be literal.😆

5 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

Can you imagine having a spitfire engine in a car😁 People talk about cars so fast that they fly, in that instance it would be literal.😆

It was actually done in the 70's . It was shoehorned into a US bodyshell (can't remember which model). The owner used to take it to car shows around the country. Absolutel monster but stayed on the ground.

35 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

It was actually done in the 70's . It was shoehorned into a US bodyshell (can't remember which model). The owner used to take it to car shows around the country. Absolutel monster but stayed on the ground.

Its surprising it did stay on the ground, you see those drag racing cars with insane sized engines running thousands of bhp that “take off” and do wheelies.

1 hour ago, Nismex said:

I've always wanted to see what the Chrysler Turbine feels like to drive. Apparently according to Jay, it's smooth!

I have actually seen that car in real life! My Uncle use to work (now retired) for GM in Detroit and on a visit in the 70s, this was one of the show cars in the lobby of their headquarters. Ironically, as part of his job he was entitled to pretty much any new GM car he wished every 12 weeks, however, unlike me, he was not a 'petrolhead' and could care less about what he drove! (He was a Chief Research Scientist)