Do Not Sell My Personal Information

battery replacement

newby3

hello all

my focus is 8 years old. last Saturday I had problem starting the car (when turning the key, warning lights on, but engine not starting). After I tried a couple of times eventually it started. I guess it was probably due to a flat battery cos I had not used the car for the past 2 weeks and it was very cold on the day. Since then it worked fine for the past 2 days. This is the 1st time I had come across this problem since I bought it in 2015. 

My question is, do I need to change the battery? what is the lifespan of a battery? I got mixed answers from google. 

Many thanks

I would say that battery life varies depending on usage. Some batteries last over 10 years and some don't. Your best option is to get it to a garage you trust and have it tested (I personally won't go anywhere near Halfrauds or Kwik Fit as from experience they will tell you that you need a new one regardless and will charge you over £100 for the privilege). If it does need changing then try a local motor factors or look online as they are usually cheaper than Euro car parts too.

1 hour ago, newby3 said:

hello all

my focus is 8 years old. last Saturday I had problem starting the car (when turning the key, warning lights on, but engine not starting). After I tried a couple of times eventually it started. I guess it was probably due to a flat battery cos I had not used the car for the past 2 weeks and it was very cold on the day. Since then it worked fine for the past 2 days. This is the 1st time I had come across this problem since I bought it in 2015. 

My question is, do I need to change the battery? what is the lifespan of a battery? I got mixed answers from google. 

Many thanks

On balance I would start thinking about buying a new battery.However the best thing you can do is invest in a smart charge battery charger.I can recommend buying a CTEK MXS 5 where you can recondition, charge and in these times of infrequent car use trickle charge if you have off road parking👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Thank you for your replies. I had the car fully serviced 2 weeks ago at a local garage and they didn't mention anything about the battery. I would assume they should have checked battery and electrics when doing the service? Will also have a look at the charger.

2 hours ago, newby3 said:

Thank you for your replies. I had the car fully serviced 2 weeks ago at a local garage and they didn't mention anything about the battery. I would assume they should have checked battery and electrics when doing the service? Will also have a look at the charger.

Unfortunately when a car has been serviced you can’t assume anything.A healthy battery is a battery that is always fully charged and should extend it’s life👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newby3 said:

Nope....It's like going to the doctors if you're not feeling well....they will check your temperature, blood pressure etc but the following week you might get an in-growing toe nail or a migraine.....If the problem wasn't present when you initially got checked then the doctor will not pick up on it !!

A bit of a left-field analogy I know, but I think you'll get the gist of it ??

• Like 3

5 hours ago, williamweb said:

I can recommend buying a CTEK MXS 5 where you can recondition, charge and in these times of infrequent car use trickle charge

I have one of these. Their 'Recondition' setting is a bit misleading. In the instructions it simply says this mode is designed to produce controlled gassing to mix up the electrolyte. It can't recover a failing battery. Mine also failed to detect a failing battery with a shorted cell.

Other members on here have spoken favourably of a Maypole charger but I have no experience of them.

27 minutes ago, mjt said:

I have one of these. Their 'Recondition' setting is a bit misleading. In the instructions it simply says this mode is designed to produce controlled gassing to mix up the electrolyte. It can't recover a failing battery. Mine also failed to detect a failing battery with a shorted cell.

Other members on here have spoken favourably of a Maypole charger but I have no experience of them.

It is recommended that the reconditioned mode is used only once a year which is what I am doing and charging when required.In December when the cold weather is nearly upon us I gave my battery a full charge up.Then a trickle charge throughout January.I’m really happy I bought this piece of kit and therefore recommend as said before👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, williamweb said:

.I’m really happy I bought this piece of kit and therefore recommend as said before

Yes, also got one of these which I bought in lockdown 1 and have used to give my car a regular charge when it's been stood outside  for weeks. 

Also have a Noco Genius 5 which I use in the same way on my Mrs's car (which is lucky enough to fit in our tiny garage) and that seems to do an equally good job.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, also got one of these which I bought in lockdown 1 and have used to give my car a regular charge when it's been stood outside  for weeks. 

Also have a Noco Genius 5 which I use in the same way on my Mrs's car (which is lucky enough to fit in our tiny garage) and that seems to do an equally good job.

I’m not sure if it was you but it was said ,some were having trouble with the button and reported a fault moving through the various modes.I haven’t experienced this so far👍

1 hour ago, williamweb said:

I’m not sure if it was you but it was said ,some were having trouble with the button and reported a fault moving through the various modes.I haven’t experienced this so far👍

Yes, I think I spotted that comment in a couple of reviews of the CTEK and probably mentioned it in another thread. No problems with the one I have - but not had the need to use other than normal mode anyway so haven't had to use the mode button again after selecting that setting.

(I didn't plan to buy a CTEK and a Noco, btw - slight problem with the finger on the touchscreen there!😃 That said, as things have turned out, it's been quite useful having a charger available for each car.)