Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cuts out when clutch is pressed 1.4 Ford Fiesta 2007

jrobinson

Hi all,

I have been experiencing an intermittent engine problem.  Sometimes when I come to a junction or leave the clutch in the engine cuts out.  It starts again first time and I can continue with my journey.  Sometimes it'll happen several times in a row or just once.  It is fairly random.  I'm not sure if this is related (I presume so however) but when I accelerate the revs go very high and then drop back to normal and the car seems seems underpowered (takes a long time to get up to 70mph on a motorway).

Any thoughts on what the problem could be or a solution perhaps?

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

J.

Bit of an update: Not sure if this is related but I went to start the car this morning and it would start.  I can hear a single click.  All other electrics seem to work but headlights did seem dimmer.  This has happened twice before and eventually it just started by itself.  Not sure if this is related to the cold and snow overnight.  I'm getting a battery charger this afternoon so hopefully I'll at least get it started. Then I can try to start solving the other issues.

J.

Update: This morning, I reinstalled the battery which I charged up yesterday.  Same problem, just getting a single click which I presume means that the fault must be the starter or electrics to the starter.  

One anomaly is that during one random attempt to start the car, I got rapid clicking for a second or two which seems very odd (To someone who knows next to nothing about cars/engines).

I'm trying to get my brother to drop off a jack today so I get to the starter and try to give it a gentle persuading.  Hopefully, one step closure to locating the problem.

J.

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Have you tested the voltage of the battery?  It might be beyond charging.

Hi Tom, I tested it yesterday before charging and it read 12.25v.

7 minutes ago, jrobinson said:

Hi Tom, I tested it yesterday before charging and it read 12.25v.

And how about after?  That rapid solenoid clicking is almost always a battery fault rather than a starter fault.  Have you checked the thick battery cables to the starter and gearbox, and made sure the terminals themselves are tight?

Regarding the revs rising suddenly but taking a while to reach 70mph, that sounds like a slipping clutch but not relevant for starting of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

And how about after?  That rapid solenoid clicking is almost always a battery fault rather than a starter fault.  Have you checked the thick battery cables to the starter and gearbox, and made sure the terminals themselves are tight?

Regarding the revs rising suddenly but taking a while to reach 70mph, that sounds like a slipping clutch but not relevant for starting of course.

It's showing 13v not that I have charged it.  Just to clarify, I only heard the rapid clicking for a second in between loads of attempted starts.  Every other attempt either side was met me a single click.

Thanks for the advice on the revs.  If I sort out this startup problem, I'll move on to your suggestion of slipping clutch.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, jrobinson said:

It's showing 13v not that I have charged it.  Just to clarify, I only heard the rapid clicking for a second in between loads of attempted starts.  Every other attempt either side was met me a single click.

Thanks for the advice on the revs.  If I sort out this startup problem, I'll move on to your suggestion of slipping clutch.

Btw, the 13v was right after charging.  I've just checked  now and its down to 12.48v.  Does this imply that I need a new battery?

I would always leave it for 30 minutes after completing charging before I measured the battery volts, but what does it drop to with your headlights on ?  Open circuit voltage is not a good indication of battery condition, as it does not give any information into the internal resistance or capacity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

I would always leave it for 30 minutes after completing charging before I measured the battery volts, but what does it drop to with your headlights on ?  Open circuit voltage is not a good indication of battery condition, as it does not give any information into the internal resistance or capacity.

Would you believe it, I went out to test the voltage with the headlights on and it started this time! I drove it around the block to see how it ran and all was fine.  Parked it up and now it won't start again! haha.  Anyway, I took the reading and it's measuring 11.48 with headlights on.

My Fiesta  - a short journey yesterday, first time in a week. Calcium battery.

O/C = 12.4V

Ignition on = 12.2V (but car not started.)

Dip Headlamps = 12V

12.25V is probably about 45% charge depending on temperature.

https://www.powerprobetek.com/knowledge/beginning-basic-part-1/

It seems that this problem was starter motor related as the car does start now that I have changed it.  I still need to sort out all the other problems with it to get it tiptop again. Thanks for the help on this.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Final update just to help people experiencing similar problems.  It looks like I had a dodgy starter motor and I needed a fuel filter replacement.  Once I changed the fuel filter the car regained its power and is not running well again. 

Thanks for all the help.

J.

• Like 2