Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faraday Pouch

Bobr

I have been using a Faraday Pouch since my last car was stolen.   This morning I tried to unlock the car with the key still in the pouch and, to my amazement, the car unlocked.   The pouch is no longer working.   Have ordered a new one but be warned, they can stop working.

• Like 1

That is strange. I would imagine pouches are strong enough to not get ripped or damaged, so not be effective. Can you see anything strange on the inside of it? Have you recently changed the battery of the key-fob, maybe that's giving a stronger signal.

It's pretty common.  Just the action of removing and replacing the key causes the fabric to break down over time, if it goes in a pocket or a bag that'll happen even more quickly.

I'm just glad mine will come with sleepy keys so I don't have to worry about relay theft...though I'll still worry about someone breaking in for the fob!

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's pretty common.  Just the action of removing and replacing the key causes the fabric to break down over time, if it goes in a pocket or a bag that'll happen even more quickly.

I'm just glad mine will come with sleepy keys so I don't have to worry about relay theft...though I'll still worry about someone breaking in for the fob!

I saw a review of a new fiesta (JCTR's Fiesta Hybrid) that after 10 mins or so the key de-activates and goes to sleep. It re-activates with movement. Mine and obviously Bob's doesn't do that.

I didn't realise pouches can wear out with use. I wonder if RIF protective wallets can do the same. I have a cheap foil cover for my debit card in my wallet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jim H said:

That is strange. I would imagine pouches are strong enough to not get ripped or damaged, so not be effective. Can you see anything strange on the inside of it? Have you recently changed the battery of the key-fob, maybe that's giving a stronger signal.

No Jim, no sign of damage and I haven't changed the battery.   I have a Faraday box for my spare key and the key will be in that until the new pouch arrives.

9 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I saw a review of a new fiesta (JCTR's Fiesta Hybrid) that after 10 mins or so the key de-activates and goes to sleep. It re-activates with movement. Mine and obviously Bob's doesn't do that.

I didn't realise pouches can wear out with use. I wonder if RIF protective wallets can do the same. I have a cheap foil cover for my debit card in my wallet.

Mine doesn't do kit Jim.   My wallet acts as a Faraday pouch for credit / debit cards.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Yes, the sleepy keys only came out around the end of 2019 I believe.  Not a cheap retrofit for older cars unfortunately.

Any soft material will wear over time so I'd expect your wallet to do the same.  I've never really thought about my cards though...someone would have to be pretty bold to swipe a card reader across my back pocket! 

• Thanks 1

I've seen you can retro-fit sleepy keys to normal fobs, I posted a vid on Bob's stolen fiesta thread. However, it is/was quite expensive. As for cards, I have a pouch for one card in my wallet, it feels and looks like thick aluminium foil. I only have one card with a chip in it. I very rarely use my credit card, so it stays at home. I'd imagine wallets and key-fob pouches use as you say softer material which could wear out. I have had mine for 3 or 4 years, so will test the effectiveness next time I use my card.

I would certainly seriously conceder a protected wallet (or pouches), especially as there is talk of raising the contactless limit to £100. I know there is a pandemic on and you shouldn't be that close to anyone, but still.

Here's a pic of what I've got. The card is pulled out slightly to show it better.

IMG-20210202-152446066.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim H said:

I've seen you can retro-fit sleepy keys to normal fobs, I posted a vid on Bob's stolen fiesta thread. However, it is/was quite expensive. As for cards, I have a pouch for one card in my wallet, it feels and looks like thick aluminium foil. I only have one card with a chip in it. I very rarely use my credit card, so it stays at home. I'd imagine wallets and key-fob pouches use as you say softer material which could wear out. I have had mine for 3 or 4 years, so will test the effectiveness next time I use my card.

I would certainly seriously conceder a protected wallet (or pouches), especially as there is talk of raising the contactless limit to £100. I know there is a pandemic on and you shouldn't be that close to anyone, but still.

Here's a pic of what I've got. The card is pulled out slightly to show it better.

IMG-20210202-152446066.jpg

Ah I see, will be interesting to know if that's worn at all or if it's still working now.

Interestingly, I also found out the Tesco Clubcard is contactless now.  I've been scanning the QR code on the laser but inadvertently tapped it on the card reader a couple of weeks back instead of my bank card.  Only realised when it said 'all of your Clubcard points add up!'... :biggrin:

I was tempted to get a Tesco club card as I used to go to Tesco after work. I now don't go to Tesco anymore, but If I restarted I will get one, as most of discount offers are Club card holders only now.

I don't think my Love2shop voucher card or Shell points card is contactless, but may have to check. RAC and Library card certainly isn't. Not used them in 10/15 years.

Hang on, I think we may be going :offtopic: :oops: Sorry Bob.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Bought a new Faraday Pouch on 2nd February.   Just found that it no longer works.   It's lasted three months.   I've ordered a leather one to see if that will last a bit longer.   Just as well I check it regularly.

The silver foil one still works for cards after at least 5 years of owning it. I'm very surprised your pouch has worn out after only 3 or so months. You could argue over the life expectancy of it, but probably not worth it. Hopefully the leather one will last much longer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Five months later and, even though it's never been in my pocket, the leather one is no longer working.   The Faraday Box that I bought for the spares is fine.   I'm buying another box; not going to bother with the pouches as they are completely unreliable.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club