Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 2013 TDCI 1.5 Diesel - Water issue

Scotty1984

Hi folks I do 500 miles a fortnight in my 13 plate fiesta diesel 155cc, over the last few months I’ve noticed every fortnight my water level goes from maximum to minimum so I’ve been topping it up to the maximum mark, I have looked and can’t find any signs of leaks, it would be great if anyone has any ideas where this water may be going before I take it to a garage to check, thank you.

23 minutes ago, Scotty1984 said:

Hi folks I do 500 miles a fortnight in my 13 plate fiesta diesel 155cc, over the last few months I’ve noticed every fortnight my water level goes from maximum to minimum so I’ve been topping it up to the maximum mark, I have looked and can’t find any signs of leaks, it would be great if anyone has any ideas where this water may be going before I take it to a garage to check, thank you.

It sounds like it only leaks under pressure, when the engine is hot. A garage will probably do a pressure test on the water system if there isn’t a obvious leak . A leaking heater matrix could go unnoticed, only by checking if the carpet under the dashboard in the centre console area for dampness to see if it’s leaking .     I’m assuming you have already checked the seal on the header tank cap , to make sure water isn’t leaking out of the overflow.  I would run the engine and wait until the engine has reached running temperature with the cooling fan cutting in and out, then see if there are any leaks dripping onto the ground. 

43 minutes ago, Scotty1984 said:

I should also add , if you do get the water temperature to engine running  temperature . Be careful not to release the water header cap , because it will be under pressure and you could get scolded.

28 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

I should also add , if you do get the water temperature to engine running  temperature . Be careful not to release the water header cap , because it will be under pressure and you could get scolded.

Thanks mate really appreciate your help, ill speak with my old man as he's an retired mechanic / fitter on trucks so he knows what he is doing.

7 minutes ago, Scotty1984 said:

Thanks mate really appreciate your help, ill speak with my old man as he's an retired mechanic / fitter on trucks so he knows what he is doing.

👍

8 hours ago, Scotty1984 said:

Check the plastic thermostat housing, they are known to crack and from personal experience the escaping coolant isn't something you spot straight away. Evidently it's was a common problem on my 2014 TDCi Fiesta 7.5

13 hours ago, Aldridge Andy said:

Check the plastic thermostat housing, they are known to crack and from personal experience the escaping coolant isn't something you spot straight away. Evidently it's was a common problem on my 2014 TDCi Fiesta 7.5

I will check that bud thanks