Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front end knock over rough roads

Fiesta 35

I appreciate that it's a wide subject area to consider, but my 2011 Fiesta 1.4 has suddenly developed a heavy knocking at the driver's side front corner when going over rough road. It has only been used about once a week over short distances during the pandemic and there was no noise whatsoever before that. I can't see anything adrift under the bonnet. The car has only done 52,000 miles and is well maintained and in excellent condition.

You'll not find a bump related knocking noise by looking under the bonnet. You need to get the wheels off and have a feel around for excess play in things like wishbone, anti roll bar, drop links, snapped spring etc.

could be a cracked spring as said, recently happend in my zetec s 1.6 2012, same side, front drivers. jack up that side of the car and have a look at the spring behind the wheel you might be able to see if its the bottom thats cracked.

Thanks Guys,

I have had the wheel off and can't see or feel any break in the spring, or any breaks or movement in other components. This has led me to look at earlier forum topics on the same problem, and it seems that there were substantial suspension spring problems with earlier models ( around 2005 to 2008). Has anyone any knowledge of this being an ongoing problem after those dates please? 

I will be contacting my main Ford dealer for repair quote and would appreciate any information I can gather before I do so.

Hi Neil 

I would just your car up one side at a time will be fine just to that the wheel is 2cm off the ground then get a helper to put a bar or shovel under the wheel and leaver it up and down while you look under the car with a torch. Pay attention to the ball joint, suspension bushes and anti roll bar drop links also bushes which are further in on the subframe.

5 hours ago, Fiesta 35 said:

Thanks Guys,

I have had the wheel off and can't see or feel any break in the spring, or any breaks or movement in other components. This has led me to look at earlier forum topics on the same problem, and it seems that there were substantial suspension spring problems with earlier models ( around 2005 to 2008). Has anyone any knowledge of this being an ongoing problem after those dates please? 

I will be contacting my main Ford dealer for repair quote and would appreciate any information I can gather before I do so.

2005-2008 would be a mk6.5, yours is a mk7 which isn't the same.

I know wishbone bushes are pretty common for going on Fords in general so I'd be starting there.

Having said that, if you're just going to take it to the main dealer to get fixed rather than doing it yourself I'd stop here. There's no point you taking it to the dealer saying "My wishbone bushes are shot" as they will always do their own diagnosis (after all, got to find a way to charge you as much as possible).

Drop links.  Either loose or gone.   I had one where just the top nut had got loose and it made the most awful knocking.  You can't tell when you jack up as the weight of the hanging axle keeps it tight.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club