Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford and Google?

Guy Heaton

Ford are posting all over FB about how they are partnering with Google.

"As part of this new, six-year partnership with Google  — and beginning in 2023 — millions of future Ford vehicles at all price points will be powered by Android, with Google apps and services built-in. 

Read the full blog here: https://bit.ly/2YGhPsD

"

Do not want.

I am actually surprised that it has taken google this long to have a partnership with a manufacturer. 

This makes sense in terms of infotainment, because I bet there are a lot of people like me, when they get in the car they will plug their phone in and just use android auto / apple car play rather than the cars infotainment. 

This would also make sense with the case of navigation as well. Will have to see how it all gets integrated.

This will be my last Ford if the next one only comes running on Android.

1 hour ago, Matthew McGuinness said:

I am actually surprised that it has taken google this long to have a partnership with a manufacturer. 

This makes sense in terms of infotainment, because I bet there are a lot of people like me, when they get in the car they will plug their phone in and just use android auto / apple car play rather than the cars infotainment. 

This would also make sense with the case of navigation as well. Will have to see how it all gets integrated.

I never use Apple play just the car system , I don't see the point.

• Like 1

If it was restricted to nav and streaming I wouldn't mind.  But you know it won't be.  Up on your car's screen: "You're driving past McDonalds,. Why not stop and grab a burger."

I have disabled all Google aspects on my phone.  I use duckduckgo app.  My personal devices are all Linux based.  Not because I am paranoid about the government but so I don't get bombarded with ads for ***** I don't want.

• Like 2

Try this website clickclickclick.click

I was hoping for wireless Apple CarPlay and Auto Android options. Potentially I’ll be changing phone, tablet and music subscription...if I stay with Ford . 778E85C3-BEEF-4452-9EBE-F384F8BAF448.thumb.png.0a476d70aec63bec72c2634f2a81de9e.png

As long as I can switch the screen off and see the time somewhere (which I can't with the Sync 3 version in my car) I really don't care!

Might be more pertinent at present to tell us when they will have an electric "Fiesta" or "Focus" on the market otherwise they won't be selling many cars, with Google or otherwise!😃

It's not the screen or UI that bothers me, it is the fact that there will be a Google operating system always connected communicating back to Google feeding in to their data machine about where I'm going, when I go there, the speed, driving style, temperature, music or radio I listen to, at what volume, etc.

I ditched my Android phone and stopped using Google search after nearly a decade as an avid user, after Google abandoned their "Do no evil" founding principles and are now becoming Facebook 2.0.

At least I can just leave my Android TV disconnected from the internet and not use its smart features, there won't be an option to disconnect the embedded hidden modem on an Android car.

• Like 2

I've a lot of issues with Big Tech right now, but using Android as the base for a car doesn't bother me,
Isn't SYNC run by Microsoft anyway? no reason they couldn't be using our info and selling it onto others already.
As soon as you pair your phone (for calls) they have your number, everything you play and the places you go.

Looks like there won't be a SYNC4 then, they will milk SYNC3 for a couple more years (I'm still on SYNC2 lol)
I'm sure upgrading to the Google system will be much harder (or impossible) than SYNC2 to SYNC3 for example.

I like the idea of Google Maps being native, and others like Waze will be downloaded into the car.
Maybe with Android being open source there might be Custom installs from companies like Mountune or Ford Performance.

Sync 4 is in the Mach E

Sync 1 and 2 are based on Windows CE but are not connected. 

Sync 3 (and 4) is Blackberry QNX. 

My issue is that this will be Android automotive always connected, reliant on and always communicating with google services. 

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Sync 4 is in the Mach E

My issue is that this will be Android automotive always connected reliant on and always communicating with google services. 

I can't imagine they will use SYNC4 on any non-electric cars, too much money on new hardware that will be replaced by Google kit.

Unfortunately that's the way things are right now with tech running our lives, I can't say I like it either,
The way things are going with society they might ban you from using you own car for 'wrong think'.
I'm surprised smart cars aren't already reporting their owners to Police for going 78mph lol.

57 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

I'm surprised smart cars aren't already reporting their owners to Police for going 78mph lol.

They won't let you do 78mph thanks to the active speed limiter... :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1