Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Security Nut/Key Damaged Part 2

byronwells

Alright guys

I am still having major issues.. After Kwik Fit came out two weeks ago and only told me that I need to replace the actual security key which two days ago I received from Mcgard (Or however you pronounce it).  Once received I tried it on one security wheel nut and it gripped fine, so thought everything was ok..  So called Halfords on the drive tyre fitters out today and guess what another blasted issue...   

The actual wheel nut on the flat/damage tyre alloy is also damaged (which Kwik Fit never told me about). So they can't remove the tyre.. I need to buy a whole brand new set.. But I need to some how be able to remove this damaged nut/bolt from the actual alloy..  AA won't help me until I get the service done on my car, but because of the flat tyre I can't drive it anywhere to get fixed

25 minutes ago, byronwells said:

Alright guys

I am still having major issues.. After Kwik Fit came out two weeks ago and only told me that I need to replace the actual security key which two days ago I received from Mcgard (Or however you pronounce it).  Once received I tried it on one security wheel nut and it gripped fine, so thought everything was ok..  So called Halfords on the drive tyre fitters out today and guess what another blasted issue...   

The actual wheel nut on the flat/damage tyre alloy is also damaged (which Kwik Fit never told me about). So they can't remove the tyre.. I need to buy a whole brand new set.. But I need to some how be able to remove this damaged nut/bolt from the actual alloy..  AA won't help me until I get the service done on my car, but because of the flat tyre I can't drive it anywhere to get fixed

So looks like you are going to have to ring around and find a garage that is confident that they can remove the nut👍

Dread to think how much more it's going to cost me

They're not hard to remove once you've done a few. Any local indie garage should be able to remove all 4 of them.

Once they're off just fit normal wheel nuts, nobody steals wheels nowadays. 

1 minute ago, Luke4efc said:

They're not hard to remove once you've done a few. Any local indie garage should be able to remove all 4 of them.

Once they're off just fit normal wheel nuts, nobody steals wheels nowadays. 

i know very stupid idea lol   Of having security wheel nuts on alloys 🙂

Wow I have just been quoted £60 to remove the damage wheel nut that uses the security key bit... Just to remove one...  To me that seems well over priced just for the one removal....  I am never going to get a part worn tyre ever again, it cost me £30 to get it fitted by a local garage and they have really screwed me over.. Never again! Because it's going to cost me way more money, to remove the damaged nut and then replace the whole lot...

Most tyre places can remove damaged wheel nuts/ locks by forcing a socket over the top then using an air gun - try ringing a couple of local ones

2077991044_DamagedWheelNut.thumb.JPG.5c13a585367b477e9bd955c3f7357ce1.JPG

I have been able to remove the other 3 security nuts/bolts from the other 3 alloys without no issues..  The above picture is of the damage security nut that currently can not be removed

That's a spinning collar nut which is why you can't just bash a socket over it - it's specifically designed to avoid thieves doing that lol.

However, I have had luck with these in the past.  Get a long socket bar, place it over the key and put a small amount of tension on it, just enough so that it doesn't slip, and then hit the knuckle of the bar with a heavy lump hammer repeatedly while holding that little tension on it.  After a few hits you may notice it starts to loosen.  

If that doesn't work, you can have a nut welded to it and then just remove with a normal socket - shouldn't cost much at a garage, but there is a risk of spiking electrics so I'd leave that as a last resort.

That type are easy to unscrew with an air chisel. I've had some nuts my massive nut runner wouldn't budge that I still managed to chisel off.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club