Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 front struts

F0CUE

Is it common for the front struts or mounts to go in the mk3? I get a slight clunk every so often that sounds really close so I'm assuming the strut or mount and if the mount it would explain the steering wheel sound when parking. 

You sure it's not a broken spring ??

I had to change the nearside front spring on my daughter's MK III about 6 months ago and having compressed the spring then removed the top nut and went to pull the top bearing off the dust cover only for the top bearing to pull apart in my hands resulting in the tiny ball-bearings flying everywhere. Suffice to say I then had to purchase a new top mount as well 🙄

3 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

You sure it's not a broken spring ??

I had to change the nearside front spring on my daughter's MK III about 6 months ago and having compressed the spring then removed the top nut and went to pull the top bearing off the dust cover only for the top bearing to pull apart in my hands resulting in the tiny ball-bearings flying everywhere. Suffice to say I then had to purchase a new top mount as well 🙄

You have me worried now 😂 but I would imagine it would be more so noisy with a broken front spring but I'll check this weekend if I get the chance to do the oil change this weekend if the weather permits it. 

I had a spring snap on my MK3 last year. It snapped on the last coil so quite near to where the spring is seated. I had a clunk every now and then but other than that, it was not obvious at all that it had snapped and I think it was a good 3-4 weeks before I realised it was the spring!

I had the same fun with the top mount bearing coming apart too!

• Like 2

I've done several front coil springs.

After  watched the video showing the mechanic spraying the small diameter ball bearings around the floor, I decided it was best not to copy his method.

It's easy to avoid.

Once you have the spring compressed and the top nut loose and off, just ease the complete top bearing assembly away from the spring by levering it off the spring with a screw driver.

It's fiddly but better than the alternative.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

I tried that first but couldn't get the screwdriver in so just tried pulling it up by hand.....won't be doing that again 🙄

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club