Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rusted rear carrier bracket bolts

Hello peeps, me again with the third instalment of this question...it seems although it was not really a ford specific question and pertained to a general nature I was wrong to post it in general chat. Welllllll........I shall ask again and hope it isn't deleted a third time. 

I have attained a rear disc setup for a drum to disc conversion on my fiesta. The carrier bolts are literally rusted onto the rear hub and they will not budge even with WD40 soaked for hours and using a gowaxee impact driver, maybe the driver isn't powerful enough, but it never gave much hassle removing things before. Does any one have any information, tips and tricks to remove these bolts. It seems silly taking the hubs to a garage just to remove bolts so I can start the restoration process.

Any help would be much appreciated, I will say thanks in advance and hope that some one can help.👍

P.S does anyone know what size the rear wheel bearing securing nut size is? I know the front is a 32 socket but that seems to be loose.

Getting extra leverage makes a massive difference as long as you have a strong enough six point socket and the car is secured so that it can't roll off its axle stands.

I have a few different sized lenghts of scaffolding tube and some old box spanners that I often use to extend the length of my large breaker bar or spanners where there is room to do so. With the longest one on it will either loosen the bolt, break the socket or damage the bolt. A bit of heat helps as well.

You do need to be careful though in case the car rolls of its axle stands.

4 hours ago, Tizer said:

Getting extra leverage makes a massive difference as long as you have a strong enough six point socket and the car is secured so that it can't roll off its axle stands.

I have a few different sized lenghts of scaffolding tube and some old box spanners that I often use to extend the length of my large breaker bar or spanners where there is room to do so. With the longest one on it will either loosen the bolt, break the socket or damage the bolt. A bit of heat helps as well.

You do need to be careful though in case the car rolls of its axle stands.

Unfortunately it may have been easier if the hub was on the car, it is not, it is part of a kit from breakers yard that is being dismantled to clean up.

I did get the four bolts off eventually. Used the breaker bar while the hub was clamped into my work table, manage to get three bolts off with relative ease after tapping the breaker bar with the lump hammer, and surprise, surprise the last bolt was the one that was really, really stuck. I actually broke two of the socket adaptors trying to remove it. Then the bolt head started to round slightly, and the #13 kept slipping even though it was a decent 6 point set. I eventually sorted the issue out by getting my 12 point socket set out, and using a lump hammer to force a #12 socket onto the end of the bolt, then using the breaker bar. It came off, with many cries of joy, however now I need to find another bolt from somewhere as the heads knackered big time.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Think the rear hub nut is 30mm on these.

Thanks for the info I thought it may be a 29 or 30.

1 hour ago, FiestaForever said:

Unfortunately it may have been easier if the hub was on the car, it is not, it is part of a kit from breakers yard that is being dismantled to clean up.

I did get the four bolts off eventually. Used the breaker bar while the hub was clamped into my work table, manage to get three bolts off with relative ease after tapping the breaker bar with the lump hammer, and surprise, surprise the last bolt was the one that was really, really stuck. I actually broke two of the socket adaptors trying to remove it. Then the bolt head started to round slightly, and the #13 kept slipping even though it was a decent 6 point set. I eventually sorted the issue out by getting my 12 point socket set out, and using a lump hammer to force a #12 socket onto the end of the bolt, then using the breaker bar. It came off, with many cries of joy, however now I need to find another bolt from somewhere as the heads knackered big time.

Thanks for the info I thought it may be a 29 or 30.

That is a nightmare. You can buy new ones but they are not that cheap.

The good news is if the old ones had thread locking compound you can use the broken one to clean the threads out by taking a hacksaw and making 4 cuts at right angles to the thread as far up as you can to turn it into a Cleaning Tap. You might need to file the rough bits off after making the cuts. Personally If there was thread locking compound on the old bolts I would not fit new bolts without doing that. That method works great for Spark Plugs as well even though they don't have locking compound. 

As for the Hub Nut size, a cheap digital Vernier Calliper is a good tool to have in your toolkit. I'm always surprised by the number of times I use mine on the car as well as the house. 

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

That is a nightmare. You can buy new ones but they are not that cheap.

The good news is if the old ones had thread locking compound you can use the broken one to clean the threads out by taking a hacksaw and making 4 cuts at right angles to the thread as far up as you can to turn it into a Cleaning Tap. You might need to file the rough bits off after making the cuts. Personally If there was thread locking compound on the old bolts I would not fit new bolts without doing that. That method works great for Spark Plugs as well even though they don't have locking compound. 

As for the Hub Nut size, a cheap digital Vernier Calliper is a good tool to have in your toolkit. I'm always surprised by the number of times I use mine on the car as well as the house. 

I had recently bought a front hub bolt from a ford garage, as while I was installing some shock absorbers one of them rolled down a nearby drain. It cost over £5 for one bolt, was thoroughly shocked at how high the price was for one bolt alone.

On some cars they're also stretch bolts for the hub (meaning you have to replace them everytime). I'm not 100% sure if yours is without looking on autodata.

I gave up doing jobs at home without a vice for this reason. Its weird the amount of times I've gone "if only I had a vice to clamp this in to undo this stupidly tight bolt".

6 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

On some cars they're also stretch bolts for the hub (meaning you have to replace them everytime). I'm not 100% sure if yours is without looking on autodata.

I gave up doing jobs at home without a vice for this reason. Its weird the amount of times I've gone "if only I had a vice to clamp this in to undo this stupidly tight bolt".

Work benches are things that cannot be lived without, is one of the single best investments for diy. Has lasted some time too but sadly the wood surface will need replacing as it is mow started to warp due to moisture in the shed.

37 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

Work benches are things that cannot be lives without, is one of the single best investments for diy. Has lasted some time too but sadly the wood surface will meed replacing as it is mow started to warp due to moisture in the shed.

1. I know what you mean, this wooden one of mine has warped due to moisture in my shed. Going to buy a plastic one next time

71OquME6ynL._AC_UY218_.jpg