Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Pothole damage

Went out this evening in the Fiesta mk8

Dark country road, on bend hit pothole in road front nearside wheel.

Had a quick visual check of chrome alloy wheel, nothing seems to be damaged although was inspecting in dark with a torch. Had a quick look under wheelarch dont think there is any damage to that.

Does anyone have any advice please for getting this checked out, properly as I am determined not to let the council get away with this if indeed there is any damage.

Cheers

Steve

If the wheel has more than cosmetic damage it will be obvious because it will most probably feel like a very badly out of balance tyre.

Other than that it is a case of jacking the car up in the daylight and inspecting or paying someone with the correct equipment to have the whole cars alignment checked as well as a visual check.

1 hour ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Went out this evening in the Fiesta mk8

Dark country road, on bend hit pothole in road front nearside wheel.

Had a quick visual check of chrome alloy wheel, nothing seems to be damaged although was inspecting in dark with a torch. Had a quick look under wheelarch dont think there is any damage to that.

Does anyone have any advice please for getting this checked out, properly as I am determined not to let the council get away with this if indeed there is any damage.

Cheers

Steve

If the pothole has been reported and been outlined with paint then not sure you can claim off the council.If it’s unmarked and no damage to your car report it anyway👍

Good luck with trying to get pothole damage out of the Council. A guy I work with tried this a good while back and he fell down on the part he couldn't prove that it was a "certain" pot hole that caused damage to the wheel on his car....

It isn't an easy process I don't think.

IIRC a " Pothole" has to meet a minimum standard of at least 40mm in depth and be a minimum of 300mm in width and also be unreported to the highways/ council. Proving the latter part is incredibly hard to prove.

It could also be said ( by the council/ highways) that in the present climate was you trip necessary ? 

Good luck.

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Good luck with trying to get pothole damage out of the Council. A guy I work with tried this a good while back and he fell down on the part he couldn't prove that it was a "certain" pot hole that caused damage to the wheel on his car....

It isn't an easy process I don't think.

This is the sort of thing the FordPass journey tracker could be useful for.  It places you on a particular road at a specific time and place.  And could even record the time that the tyre pressure warning light came on as complete proof of severe tyre/rim damage...  I doubt they'll add it as a feature, but the could easily!  

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

This is the sort of thing the FordPass journey tracker could be useful for.  It places you on a particular road at a specific time and place.  And could even record the time that the tyre pressure warning light came on as complete proof of severe tyre/rim damage...  I doubt they'll add it as a feature, but the could easily!  

And a dashcam video of you going over the pothole. Leave the sound on so you can hear the car making a very loud thud or bang and should be a pretty watertight case.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Been on the fixmystreet web site for my council, apparently this pothole was reported  on 27th January, approx 8 days ago.

Been today to take photo have a look

I bet They think putting a bit of white paint around a hole is going to do anything on an unlit country road in the dark will make a difference.

If there is damage to the car, then due to my absolute hate towards councils I will pursue it to the end, small claims if need be!

Booked in at Halfords on Monday for free check

Then on Tuesday at Main Ford dealer for a health check on steering, tyres, wheel etc.

I'm pretty sure no damage, did a quick visual this morning, just a small scuff on side of front tyre, no visible spring or shocker damage or alloy either.

Car handles fine, no noise, steering judder or pulling to one side.

Fingers crossed 🙂20210206_101725.thumb.jpg.80f8d01c346ec04e86313936b849067c.jpg

19 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Thanks guys,

Been on the fixmystreet web site for my council, apparently this pothole was reported  on 27th January, approx 8 days ago.

I bet They think putting a bit of white paint around a hole is going to do anything on an unlit country road in the dark will make a difference.

If there is damage to the car, then due to my absolute hate towards councils I will pursue it to the end, small claims if need be!

Then on Tuesday at Main Ford dealer for a health check on steering, tyres, wheel etc.

I'm pretty sure no damage, did a quick visual this morning, just a small scuff on side of front tyre, no visible spring or shocker damage or alloy either.

From the photo that does look nasty.When I’m biking these size potholes are potentially very dangerous and I’ve been very close to going through hedges.That’s why these days I don’t bike in the dark👍

26 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Thanks guys,

That's certainly an unusually shaped pot hole...  :unsure:  The temptation to paint a pair of balls below it must have been pretty strong...and would've made it considerably more visible. :biggrin: 

Got to say though, it's not really the councils fault, this weather is creating so many, so quickly, and they can't fix them in heavy rain either.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Got to say though, it's not really the councils fault, this weather is creating so many, so quickly, and they can't fix them in heavy rain either

🙂 And it ain't my fault either 🙂 I think if the councils had surfaced the roads properly in the first place we and they wouldn't have this problem, instead they just splash and dash, making sure they still keep enough of our rates to send the Mayor round and about in a chauffeur driven Bentley.  Sorry I hate councils with a true true unhealthy passion 🙂 having been a supplier to almost every council in the UK, and seen how they waste money then try to cover it up.

34 minutes ago, williamweb said:

From the photo that does look nasty.When I’m biking these size potholes are potentially very dangerous and I’ve been very close to going through hedges.That’s why these days I don’t bike in the dark👍

I don't blame you mate, but isn't it bad when you can't go out in the dark because the council didn't do their job properly?

26 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

🙂 And it ain't my fault either 🙂 I think if the councils had surfaced the roads properly in the first place we and they wouldn't have this problem, instead they just splash and dash, making sure they still keep enough of our rates to send the Mayor round and about in a chauffeur driven Bentley.  Sorry I hate councils with a true true unhealthy passion 🙂 having been a supplier to almost every council in the UK, and seen how they waste money then try to cover it up.

I do agree, but it's a difficult cycle to break once they've started short term fixes, and can't build up enough money to fully relay the surface.  There is also a time element as well...when potholes open up on every road, it's much quicker to try and repair many each day then than relay one road while leaving the others peppered for weeks.  I don't really know what the answer is!

I'm sure there's also a problem with the tarmac material itself.  Over summer our council ruined a lovely village road by placing 'straddling' speed humps for a couple of miles along it.  Two have had to be removed because they were too close to a traffic island (excellent planning!) but several others have started crumbling already and leaving sharp edges.  With those, as well as the few 'expected' potholes opening up along that road it's become so much more dangerous than it was before they started the work!! :ermm:

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I do agree, but it's a difficult cycle to break once they've started short term fixes, and can't build up enough money to fully relay the surface.  There is also a time element as well...when potholes open up on every road, it's much quicker to try and repair many each day then than relay one road while leaving the others peppered for weeks.  I don't really know what the answer is!

I'm sure there's also a problem with the tarmac material itself.  Over summer our council ruined a lovely village road by placing 'straddling' speed humps for a couple of miles along it.  Two have had to be removed because they were too close to a traffic island (excellent planning!) but several others have started crumbling already and leaving sharp edges.  With those, as well as the few 'expected' potholes opening up along that road it's become so much more dangerous than it was before they started the work!! :ermm:

It's not the material at fault it's the idiots "upstairs"  thinking they all know better and expecting a first class job done first time in all weathers.

I walked away from 30+ years in Highway reinstatement just before Covid arrived and that was a combination of being asked to do things I wasn't happy with being responsible for. The final straw came on a Thursday afternoon when I turned up at a job fir the Water board and was told to bury a live working Fire Hydrant on a busy industrial estate just to get the job off of the system. Utter madness. 

• Sad 1

Surely it’s about time the boffins discovered a “lay and forget “surface👍

Phew!!!

Just got back from Halfords autocentre who had the Fiesta up on the ramp, checked everything which might have got damaged due to pothole, tyres, alloys  steering, alignment etc..  all ok.

And free of charge too.

Guy says not even tyre got damaged, he says usually alloy or tyre gets damaged but not in this case. 🙂

not been a good 2 weeks one bit for me ( wife was in hospital seriously ill) so this is one thing I didn't want to add to it.

1 hour ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

not been a good 2 weeks one bit for me ( wife was in hospital seriously ill) so this is one thing I didn't want to add to it.

Hope your wife recovers Steve.

Thanks very much Bob, yes she is fine now thanks, but it was a very worrying 5 days starting when she left home in an ambulance unconscious 

Thankyou for your kind concern Bob 🙂

On 2/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, Wino said:

The final straw came on a Thursday afternoon when I turned up at a job fir the Water board and was told to bury a live working Fire Hydrant on a busy industrial estate just to get the job off of the system. Utter

Bit like this one then (which I think I've posted before) - tarmacced over a sunken and damaged manhole. Fortunately I also got away without damage and the subsequent repair after reporting it was done to a good standard.

And may I add best wishes to your Mrs, Steve.

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Bit like this one then (which I think I've posted before) - tarmacced over a sunken and damaged manhole. Fortunately I also got away without damage and the subsequent repair after reporting it was done to a good standard.

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

Haha. Done plenty of those. Its what's known as a " Rapid response " or bodge it n scarper and hope nobody sees you that you know of 😮

These types of temporary repair must be made safe or ar least someone on site within 2 hours and  are allowed to stay in a temporary condition for a maximum of 6 months until the " Owner" will then face big financial penalties depending on what type of road it is on.