Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change light

ted rowe

I have a 2017 Edge Titanium - it has done 17400 miles. Recently the 'change oil soon light ' has appeared. I purchased it last year from a ford dealership and asked

many times if the oil had been changed - as i could find no record in service book etc. Can anyone tell me if the oil service is re-set when changed or does this warning come on regardless every 18000 miles (as i have been told by the dealer)

Many thanks Ted

The service intervals are every two years or 18,000 miles, but it is not fixed at that. It all depends on how it’s driven and what kind of journeys you do. Lots of short journeys will degrade the oil sooner than a few long journeys. I think my change oil soon warning came on at about 16000. It varies from car to car and driver to driver. It gets reset by the dealer at service completion. 

21 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

The service intervals are every two years or 18,000 miles, but it is not fixed at that. It all depends on how it’s driven and what kind of journeys you do. Lots of short journeys will degrade the oil sooner than a few long journeys. I think my change oil soon warning came on at about 16000. It varies from car to car and driver to driver. It gets reset by the dealer at service completion. 

Many thanks for your reply Ian - but i am in dispute about these oil change issues. The service book records a 'service Feb 2019 ' at around 10000 miles and although I cannot find any record i was led to believe it 'may' have been done in Feb 2020 also. 

Can you please tell me if the oil was changed at 10000  miles would the 'change oil soon' still come on as i got close to 18000 miles (17400). i always believed that it was reset at service as you say - but my dealer is telling me the warning would still come on regardless at 18000 - 36000 - or 2 years etc...whatever comes first. 

I have a horrible feeling that it has not been changed for over 3 years - in fact closer to 4.

many thanks Ted

Our Focus was serviced at the 1yr point last march (8000 Miles iirc).

It now has 10880 miles on the clock and is not due till march fir its next service but has already had an oil change in between and the oil life stands at 56% as of today so as Edge of reason says it does depend on how the car is driven. 

As for how to prove If the oil has been changed at its service intervals then that's the same for most people....trusting the garage. 

Personally I'd of changed the oil and filter to be on the safe side and ti keep my mind at rest.

You could contact Ford direct.  All work should be centrally logged.

The oil service light is dynamic and doesn't correspond to the service intervals.   My car is 20 months old, 8700 miles, and oil life is at 16%.     If it wasn't for lockdown I'd never make it to 2yrs before needing an oil change.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ted rowe said:

Can you please tell me if the oil was changed at 10000  miles would the 'change oil soon' still come on as i got close to 18000 miles (17400). i always believed that it was reset at service as you say - but my dealer is telling me the warning would still come on regardless at 18000 - 36000 - or 2 years etc...whatever comes first. 

It was a simple question, surely deserves a simple answer? If that's what the dealer said, he is wrong. Once reset, the oil life countdown will begin again from 100%, whichever comes first - another 18000 miles, another 2 years, or something else determined by driving conditions. Usually for average mileage drivers it's more or less a 2 year countdown. As for proving the oil was changed, I'm afraid for all practical purposes you'll have to take their word for it. I'd change it anyway, for peace of mind, and then check yourself that the countdown has been reset to 100%. Don't forget that the oil might have been changed, but the counter not reset, and that's why it's come up now. Best to get the oil changed and check for yourself.

Understand Colin - and i did ask the question several times as been getting an awful noise on very cold starts - even tried to check with a previous dealer who looked after the car for its first 3 years - they could not (or would not) say!  Maybe i am just too much of a stickler for oil changes ...too long in the tooth to change now !

Many thanks to you and all for the replies - booked in Wednesday for full service and MOT

Thanks again  - take care Ted

It is quite possible of course that the car received an oil change at 10,000 miles, but the service indicator or oil life indicator wouldn’t register it needing done. Therefore nothing to reset. This would mean the countdown would still be running from new and at 18,000 would flag up (or earlier depending on journey history). Unfortunately the difference in the oil visually between 7 or 8,000 miles or 18,000 miles would be minimal. Without being able to measure the viscosity at each mileage and comparing, they would probably both look black and neither would be golden like new oil. 

• Like 1

Of course another theory could be that it received an interim check. As the service interval is every two years, some dealers, including mine, offer an interim check. This is not an oil change but just a general check between full services to ensure all is well. It also allows the dealer to give a further year of Ford breakdown insurance. I’m not sure how it’s recorded in the service book other than a stamp, but if it was carried out by a Ford dealer, there will be a centrally recorded computer record that any Ford dealer should be able to view. 

• Like 2

Many thanks again Ian - and i have put many of these things to the dealer and they have told me they would do a diagnostic as long as i paid for it - £60 - (and if anything under warranty is wrong they would put it right). The oil change business got me thinking again with the sub zero weather arriving as at times it sounds awful on start up like its being hit with a hammer for a second or two!....

Must say apart from these niggling oil worries i have, the vehicle starts and runs really well.

Thanks again for all the replies - Ted

On 2/8/2021 at 9:15 AM, ted rowe said:

they have told me they would do a diagnostic as long as i paid for it - £60

Not sure what they can do other than an oil analysis ... but it would just be cheaper and piece of mind to just change the oil and oil filter and then you know where you are!

Hi All

Just to throw a bit of possible confusion into the topic.

I am coming up for 36K mileage (currently 35.6), Edge has had regular scheduled services as per Fmc every 2 years. Next service not due until Aug 2022 (54K)

Though very much doubt that I will hit that mileage. by time service becomes due. Interim check due roughly Aug this year.

And have had interim checks done, every other year in between scheduled services. Only had to top up oil slightly once by about 1/2 pint.

Fmc have never informed me of oil light having to be reset at any service that I have had done (not documented in any service reports that I have, as far as I can see).

Have never had my oil change light come on, must admit, sometimes I wonder if it actually works, but, when I turn on ignition to start, oil light illuminates so I know it works.

Stay safe

Happy motoring

Dave

2 hours ago, DavesEdge said:

Have never had my oil change light come on, must admit, sometimes I wonder if it actually works, but, when I turn on ignition to start, oil light illuminates so I know it works.

Just for clarity ... the oil light that comes on at start is a 'Low oil pressure' warning. The oil change warning is a 'message' that pops up just like the seatbelt or doos open warnings. They are 2 separate things.

7 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Just for clarity ... the oil light that comes on at start is a 'Low oil pressure' warning. The oil change warning is a 'message' that pops up just like the seatbelt or doos open warnings. They are 2 separate things.

Hi All 

Oops, totally forgot about the low pressure switch at start.

Stay safe 

Happy motoring 

Dave 

May I just ask, I have looked at the oil percentage area on the dash in settings but when I go into it it just stares 'Oil' at the top and 'Hold OK to reset' at the bottom.

Where is the actual percentage reading? Am I missing something.

oil quality percentage is in the Ford Pass App.  I think it only works with modem equipped vehicles. 

Ok that would explain it, however it is giving me an option to reset.

Reset what if it does not work ?

Think I will just reset and see what happens.

Thanks

I think the reset will only be relevant if you do your own servicing. I assume it prevents a warning on the dash. I get mine reset by the garage as I think resetting on the dash won’t clear any codes stored by the car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased the question has answered concerns for others as well. I had the service and MOT and the noise at cold-start is still there but much improved on what it was. And even though vehicle has only done 17500 miles i was advised to have the 4 year (36k) gearbox service £300 - with some veiled reminder that warranty companies would not look favourably in the future if the service interval was not recognised.

Can i also ask at what % of wear do you guys change your brake discs?....and ball park figures on price fitted please?

Thanks again for the info 

Ted

• 4 weeks later...

You got away light on gearbox service if you had the powershift auto I have just paid £540 for gearbox oil and filter change on a 2017 Ford Edge sport at ford dealers 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club