Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3.5 centre console

Mollymoodoo

Hi all

Is it possible to swap a MK3 centre console for a MK3.5 centre console?. They look to be similar and the handbrake in the same place etc.

I have a titanium x with parking sensors and auto park. I have found a switch with start/stop, auto park and another switch for the sensors, is this going to be a case of unplugging it from the pre facelift switch and plugging it into the facelift switch without any pin changes or plug changes?

Also will the climate control units just swap over?

Your heater control panel should just be plug and play, but you might need to do some work on the stop start and parking aid plug. I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I still have the pin diagram for the facelift switch.

• Like 1

That would be brilliant thank you. I don't suppose you know much about the heated seats as well do you as they seem to become part of the climate control loom.

If you have heated seats now with the switches down at the cup holder, you will have to reroute the wires up to the climate module. I'll have a look at the diagrams I made and see if I can find the pin numbers. 

• Like 1

Nathan, I am also interested in fitting the MK3.5 console and I have the heated seats in the Focus pre-facelift near the cup holder.

Do these connectors just fit straight in to the MK3.5 heater control which now houses the heated seat buttons? Also the 12v socket is up front as well instead of between the heated seat rotary control in the pre-facelift...

My heated seats currently have 1 to 5 rotary switch, but I believe the MK3.5 only has levels 1 - 3, is that correct? What does that map to compared to the 1 - 5 settings?

Also does the SYNC front fascia still screw in the same place with the new console/AC unit in the way?

Thanks

James

I'm not 100% sure if the heated seats will work with the facelift climate controls. I'll have to dig out the drawings I made. It's possible that the facelift heated seats are connected to and controlled by the Can Bus system. The Sync Fascia just screws in as normal.

• Like 1

Thanks. On that note does anyone have a wiring diagram for the MK3.5 2014+ facelift?

58 minutes ago, JPW said:

On that note does anyone have a wiring diagram for the MK3.5 2014+ facelift?

I'd appreciate a copy if you find one. I had to pay for an hour to look at it on the Etis website. 

• Like 1

Will do. I believe Luke Anderson also retrofitted the MK3.5 console and he had heated seats?

So here are a couple of screen shots that I took of from the Etis website (not sure if I'm allowed to share them on here but I guess the moderators will block if its a problem). The heated seats are connections 21 vref, 22 RH seat and 23 LH seat. I'm pretty sure this is on the Blue plug. What I'm not sure about, and maybe @JW1982 can answer this, does the switch control the heat levels, or is it done at the seat module? Also, it would be good to hear from @Luke_Anderson to see if he had to splice the wires into the climate module. 391365355_HeatedSeats.thumb.jpg.5e074dc97deaca5de9f073029d46f2d3.jpg

2074529924_HvacControl.thumb.jpg.ae100221278dd040f5e2f5874b2078e8.jpg

• Like 1

On the current pre facelift switch, the rotary dial uses a different resistance value which is then sent to the seat module itself, which then sets the amount of heat to the elements.

I've just paid for the etis 1 hour access too and downloaded all the relevant diagrams. It looks like both HVAC connectors (blue and black) are wired totally different than the pre facelift, but from what I can see all the same circuits are there, just different pin numbers, so looks like quite a lot of changes but doable!

• Like 1

Hi all! Sorry i’ve been a bit quiet lately, you can indeed swap over to the 3.5 centre console, I have a titanium x and have everything working as it should. There is a lot of wiring changes that need to be made to get it all to work properly. The most important thing however is that you need to have a 3.5 level bcm in order for the front and rear window demisters to work. I was lucky in that my car was new enough to just be firmware updated. If you can’t firmware update the bcm then you have 2 choices. You can either fit a facelift bcm and have it coded to your car or you can retain the original demister buttons and find somewhere to locate them.  

• Thanks 1

Hi @Luke_Anderson, thanks for stepping in and hope you're well!

How did you determine / come to find that the demisters are not compatible? The wiring circuits look the same, so was re-pinning them not enough to make work?

I'm guessing you originally had the automated climate control panel like below:

1414-060918-12410305-PTIMG.jpg

So it's the bottom two left buttons that are not compatible with the pre-facelift BCM?

What determines whether the BCM software can be upgraded or not - is there a specific part number / version of the current BCM?

Do your pre-facelift heated seats work on the new climate control panel (the one with the 1-3 heat settings) even though your original car had the 1-5 rotary dial control near the cup holders? Does this require the BCM upgrade also?

I fear swapping to a facelift MK3.5 BCM might break a load of other stuff in the car... how to tell?!

Sorry for the questions!

Thanks again Luke,

James

I was unlucky with my BCM as it couldn't be updated. Mind you in retrospect, I didn't originally have the climate controls I just had the twisted knobs, so thinking about it now, i think i would have had to rip the dash apart and fit a different blower assembly. I was fighting a losing battle so I gave up. 

2 hours ago, JPW said:

I've just paid for the etis 1 hour access too

Its crap how on the Etis version you have to scroll through the different pages for the same module. It would be great, if someone could come up with a facelift pdf wiring diagram, just like the non-facelift. I guess Ford are not satisfied with ripping you off on parts!!!

Blimey that's a lot of replies. 🙂 thank you all so far for your advice.

So by the looks of it there is a lot to do and I have no clue about following wiring diagrams.

If someone was happy to point out the pin swaps I would be happy to pay them as obviously there is time and paying for the diagrams.

I will go and look into how to update my BCM which should be doable as I have the same spec and year of vehicle as Luke.

Right, I have gathered as much info as I have to hand regarding this. Firstly -

BCM

This is what I started with 

9SAAAgCyxuA-240.jpg.a7debfd20979bdd38faf8d85c8188054.jpg

i6AAAgIaxuA-240.jpg.6e1e1117ba8713975d47fed6b468417c.jpg

I can only comment on my experience so my advise is that if your software / hardware varies from mine then I do not know if it will work. These are the files that I flashed

GV6T-14C097-AA.vbf

GV6T-14C094-AE.vbf

GV6T-14C095-AE.vbf

GV6T-14C403-AD.vbf

I currently do not have links for these files. 

This is how it looked after - 

PCAAAgOpxuA-240.jpg.0dc40a86521341db6b838e512ca94ea4.jpg

The reason behind needing this is because of the way the climate control sends its commands to the rest of the car this is done over can-bus as opposed to lin-bus so without a facelift level bcm then the demisters will not work unless you keep your original ones connected and find somewhere to locate them.

Centre Console Upgrade

Stupidly I didn't take any pictures of the process, however the general jist is remove all the old, small bit of trimming required to the lower dash and sides to get the new to fit. If you have the Z handbrake then you will need to also change the short section of the handbrake cable. I've attached a picture of roughly what you will need.

04f53c8a-f4ff-4bf4-b0ff-7a08d145a16e.thumb.JPG.f7209b47c46032847a540edcbdf9389b.JPG 

Make sure you get the centre console rear bracket as that is different from your current one.

You will need to make your own loom for the centre console for the 12v outlets and the usb in the arm rest, its best just to rework your current one. 

The park assist, start/stop, and front sensor buttons have a different plug to your current ones, the colours match up though so its a case of extending the wires to reach and then splicing on the new plug. 

The climate controls require much more work i've made an excel sheet to try and make it as simple as possible - 

1038911684_Screenshot2021-02-07at17_25_13.thumb.png.0c057b727a7aa94228d65a3b5025b10b.png 

Do all this and you will have a fully functioning centre console upgrade!

• Like 1

That's Brilliant, cheers Luke I will take a good look tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes 🙂

Thanks Luke!

Do the original blue and black connectors physically fit in the new climate unit without modification?

On your spreadsheet I'm a little muddled over the heated seats bit. I get 22 and 23 but for pin 9 and 21 of the blue connector I'm not following? Can't the power cable that currently goes to the heated seat control be used for 21? (yellow wire)

Also, on the black connector, when you say join to pin1, you mean they're all the same circuit (just splice pin 1 in to those other pins?). Are they not available in the pre-facelift black connector?

How do the heated seats perform on the new 3 setting control instead of 1-5?

Thanks

Yeah the plugs themselves are the same. I’m not to sure why the wiring is that way but I think it’s to do with the way it’s controlled from the bcm. You simply cut the wire and then both of the ends go to the climate module. And yes, all the powers get joined and go to pin one on the black connector. As far as the seats go essentially you have 5-3-1 settings from your old controls. 

Is the old gear gaiter big enough to be used on the new surround. I'm thinking of undoing just the leather bit and attaching it to the facelift chrome piece that clips in. All the surrounds for sale with the usb socket still there have no gaiter as below 🙂

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Luke. Can you clarify what needs changing on the handbrake? In the pre-facelift, I have this one:

image.thumb.png.382e58ad3eea99a78bb384af8f3200ae.png

I still don't understand the pin 9 / 21 for seat power...

Why do we need to tap in to the interior temp sensor pin 1 at all?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club