Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3.5 centre console

Mollymoodoo

Honestly I don’t know, but that’s the way it was advised to do it and it’s worked perfectly ever since. 

the handbrake on the facelift had a longer cable so you will need to change that, just the front section though that goes to the balancer under the car. 

gaitor wise the plastic is also different and that clips into the surround so your best off finding one separately 

• Like 1

Thanks Luke ill find one.  They just know how to charge for them on eBay, robbng gits 🙂

Another question sorry, how do you flash the BCM, I have the files, but wondered if you can do it with Forscan and if so how.

I did mine a while ago and used focccus but I believe that with the new version of forscan that firmware flashing is supported. My only advise is to use a decent cable, the elm27 cable i used originally nearly bricked my bcm as it was so unreliable. I switched to an els27 cable and it is so much more reliable and stable so I would advise using that. 

• Like 1

@Luke_Anderson do you get DTC's for the switch illumination which is now disconnected? Or did upgrading your BCM sort these?

Is there a definitive list/guide on how to flash all the different components in the MK3?

7 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

@Luke_Anderson do you get DTC's for the switch illumination which is now disconnected? Or did upgrading your BCM sort these?

You do get dtcs for them but they don’t cause any problems 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, JPW said:

Is there a definitive list/guide on how to flash all the different components in the MK3?

Not that I’m aware of, if you use forscan it does come up with a list of files that it recommends to flash 

• Like 1

Will upgrading any of the existing modules, BCM or otherwise cause any problems with the fact SYNC is now present? Does it change/reset any settings store that you have to re-enable in Focccus or Forscan?

What is the ELS cable you purchased?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

I did mine a while ago and used focccus but I believe that with the new version of forscan that firmware flashing is supported. My only advise is to use a decent cable, the elm27 cable i used originally nearly bricked my bcm as it was so unreliable. I switched to an els27 cable and it is so much more reliable and stable so I would advise using that. 

I bought a tunnel rat ELM327 and paid extra for an FTD1 chip, I'm hoping it's ok.

Also what colour console did you go for, it's hard to tell in the picture and all I can seem to find is charcoal black 🙂

I'm nearly at a stage to start this, I'm just waiting to see how much my local stealer charge to update the firmware on the BCM as I haven't really got the bottle to attempt it on my own 🙂

I would expect several hundred. Cheaper to go for it yourself, and buy another BCM from eBay for less than £50 if it all goes wrong, which is unlikely...

Best of luck by the way, and if possible be sure to make a note of all the part numbers,  trims and pictures as I think it will help a lot of people!

I don’t think Ford will agree to do it, officially it’s not supported by them so highly doubt they will touch it. Did your existing firmware match mine? 

• Like 1

These are my current versions of the BCM, IPC and ACM. Are they able to be upgraded?

ipc.PNG

bcm.PNG

acm.PNG

On 2/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, JPW said:

These are my current versions of the BCM, IPC and ACM. Are they able to be upgraded?

ipc.PNG

bcm.PNG

acm.PNG

By the looks of it the bcm cannot be upgraded to facelift spec. What year is the car? 

On 2/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, Luke_Anderson said:

I don’t think Ford will agree to do it, officially it’s not supported by them so highly doubt they will touch it. Did your existing firmware match mine? 

Hi

Sorry just seen this. I haven't checked yet as I've not had chance but I may do it this weekend.

Once I've done that and I'm happy I think I will need a better cable like you say and a battery saver type device as it seems to drain a lot of battery doing it. I also could do with a beta copy of Forscan 2.4.2 beta, 2020-09-08 unless itis easy enough to do from Focccus.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, JPW said:

Best of luck by the way, and if possible be sure to make a note of all the part numbers,  trims and pictures as I think it will help a lot of people!

Hi Thank you. I will likely do a write up. I'm just a bit unsure how to update the firmware on the BCM at the moment. Everything else I have, just waiting on the climate controls and a new loom to come. Ones been with Hermes for the past two weeks so I'm not hopeful.

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

By the looks of it the bcm cannot be upgraded to facelift spec. What year is the car? 

Sep 2012 manufacture date. Think it was the last one before Sync 1 as I had BVC. How come it can't be upgraded? I would have thought all the pre-facelift BCMs are the same 🤔

Also, is it a straight swap (physically, same wiring etc) for a facelift BCM or is there actual wiring/pin out changes between the facelift and pre?

The hardware is constantly being revised throughout a cars life, the later pre facelifts were starting to use some parts that were ready for for the facelift so they are able to just be reflashed. 

It is just a straight plug in job 

So, if I wanted to upgrade my BCM, am I looking for a 2013+ (but pre-facelift) still, and then upgrade the software, or should I actually purchase a 2014+ facelift BCM straight off, and just swap like for like (then re-program?)

I thought the wiring was different / updated in the facelift.

What about my IPC? That is 2012 also but does have the quad screen software from factory, I wonder if that can be upgraded to the newer software with the digital speedo (though I believe that has incompatibility with something also?)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I finally found the time to do some work on this. Thanks to @Luke_Anderson for pointing this out and for any advice, I have managed to update my BCM to a later firmware.

As I strive to make things as painless as possible, I first bought one of these. You will need to update the firmware on it. When I plugged it into the car and laptop and opened Forscan it did this automatically for me, I'm not sure if it does this for everyone but there is a manual way of doing it.

771039651_OBDEX.thumb.jpg.f1627da22a8619d6a100f6e7a011708e.jpg231303045_OBDEX1.thumb.jpg.c8d14555dc0e642f6030835e26ea61c7.jpg

I then got in touch with a mod at Forscan and got them to let me have their 2.4.3 version of their software and paid for a years extended license as a way of thanking them, as they seem to put a lot of work in to their software. The extended license also meant I could sit in the range of my Wi-Fi and Forscan could download any files I needed.

Next I bought one of these as it is advisable to put both your car battery and your laptop on charge.

Charger.thumb.jpg.7aac243b8635b35134bf04445dd46cde.jpg

I have to point out at this point that updating the BCM Firmware can stop it working if anything goes wrong and you would be doing this at your own risk. This is just a guide as to how I did it and what hardware I used and am in no way responsible for any one else doing this.

So with battery and laptop on charge, both plugged into an extension lead from the mains, I plugged the reader in and opened Forscan. If you let it do a new scan and the go to the chip, you will find the BCMii Module firmware update. I clicked on that and took a picture of my setting just in case I needed to revert back to them for any reason.

Before.thumb.jpg.e9033ff0e7d4e14f26e8ce5536581290.jpg

Then click download at the bottom. Like I said earlier I was within range of my WI-FI and had a paid extended license so it downloaded the files for me. I'm uncertain whether it will do this or not with out the paid license. If you are out of range of WI-FI I think you can pre download them here

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/PCMReprogram/DSFM_PCMReprogram.asp?swproduct=IDS

But you would have to look into how this works.

After you have the files ready to go then you should run a test, Test run SBL, if this comes back as successful then you are ready to click program.

When you click program Forscan will erase blocks and then load the new ones. This is why you don't want any interruptions, if your car dies, laptop dies or connection is lost through the lead coming unplugged etc, then you are left with an unusable module, I've seen this happen on a Range Rover, it got sorted thanks to some knowledgable people with the correct software to load back in, but bums were twitching. The person I contacted at Forscan said in most cases they can recover your BCM. Any way it worked for me, it took about 2 minutes, I think due to the lead having a very quick transfer rate, something the cheaper ones don't have. Afterwards my settings looked like this.

After.thumb.jpg.af31c1bdbe529bfd593c7d0e5ac8cc75.jpg

Everything still works so it seems to have worked. I will put up a list of what bits I bought for the console swap shortly but I won't actually be doing it until mid May when I have time again.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Okay I have done the upgrade, everything works as should. I haven’t attempted the heated screens yet as I believe there could be an easier way. After 10 mins of comparing PFL wiring diagrams to Fl diagrams, it shows that the rear heated screen is just a pin swap into the hvac module, only thing been different is that of course the MS & HS on the bcm, nothing to do with heated from screen on the schematic, just rear. Any ideas?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club