Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Temperature Gauge

Mornedup

Hi everyone 

I recently bought a 2014 MK3 Focus with 80k Kilometres on it. The car is great and in really good condition. The only thing I have noticed is the temp gauge shoots up to the halfway point all the time in seconds. Never goes down or up gradually. Even after leaving it all night it goes right to he half way mark the next morning immediately. Is this normal? If not then any recommendations as to how to remedy the issue?

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm not sure on a fix or answer really but: 

I noticed when I changed my instrument cluster to a facelift on my mk2, that the temp gauge would jump to the middle and just sit there instead of slowly increasing. It also didn't match OBD reading.

The answer I got when I asked about it was that it doesn't actually show the real temperature? And that instead it will just show that its cold, warm/drivable or hot. Not sure if that helps. Does the temp gauge match what you get from the OBD? 

I just checked the car again and the temp gauge actually went down. So its probably just like you said, its either hot, cold or ideal, no in-between.

I don't have a OBD reader yet but its on the list. Thanks for your input and your time, appreciate it.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:49 AM, Mornedup said:

I just checked the car again and the temp gauge actually went down. So its probably just like you said, its either hot, cold or ideal, no in-between.

I don't have a OBD reader yet but its on the list. Thanks for your input and your time, appreciate it.

Would still keep an eye on it. Not sure on the mk3 but on mk2 you can get the screen to show the temp, and compare it to the guage. At around 45 degrees, mine jumps to the middle. I've seen it at around 105ish with it still in the middle, and doesn't seem right tbh.IMG_20210209_001408.thumb.jpg.487726e4577cb19ccf9abaf293cdbca1.jpg

The cylinder head temperature shown in the instrument cluster test menu is also a calculated value and not a realtime value. It is just as dependable as the temperature shown on the temperature gauge.

It is completely normal that the cylinder head temperature shown in the instrument cluster test menu is considerably higher than the coolant temperature.

The only way to read a real realtime temperature value is by logging the raw data of the temperature sensor. The temperature value that is communicated to a diagnostic system is also calculated by the PCM and not a realtime value.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club