Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine code any difference JTBD & JQMA?

Simmo8

Hi all, I recently changed my engine in my Ford focus 1.6 petrol ecoboost. My original engine was a JTBD but the engine that has been fitted is a JQMA. Does anybody know if there is any difference in the engines?

Everything looked exactly the same and all wiring went back perfectly to all sensors etc. However the engine spins over fine but will not fire up. It has compression there is fuel coming through the injectors and it has a spark at all spark plugs. It has even been in to Ford and they couldn't suss it out as no fault codes come up. Any thoughts would be greatly received. Many thanks.

Engine code JTDB is a 182 HP Focus MK3 engine with a compression ratio of 10 ± 0.3:1.

Engine code JQMA is a 150 HP Kuga MK2 engine with a compression ratio of 10 ± 0.3:1.

Based on the specifications these engines may look identical. However during production of the 1.6 ECOboost engine Ford performed many changes (both hardware and software) which in many cases did not affect the engine code. At some point Ford even changed the design of the cylinder head. In every Ford model this engine did have a different engine code. This makes it very difficult to determine whether 2 different engine codes are actually identical or not. The only way to determine whether these engines are identical or not is by performing a full part by part comparison based on the VIN numbers of the Focus MK3 and the Kuga MK2 donor vehicle.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Engine code JTDB is a 182 HP Focus MK3 engine with a compression ratio of 10 ± 0.3:1.

Engine code JQMA is a 150 HP Kuga MK2 engine with a compression ratio of 10 ± 0.3:1.

Based on the specifications these engines may look identical. However during production of the 1.6 ECOboost engine Ford performed many changes (both hardware and software) which in many cases did not affect the engine code. At some point Ford even changed the design of the cylinder head. In every Ford model this engine did have a different engine code. This makes it very difficult to determine whether 2 different engine codes are actually identical or not. The only way to determine whether these engines are identical or not is by performing a full part by part comparison based on the VIN numbers of the Focus MK3 and the Kuga MK2 donor vehicle.

Many thanks for your excellent in depth help on my situation.

In your opinion would you still expect the engine to start though, or could the software in the vehicle not be compatible?

My original engine being a 182 and the engine i have now being a 150. Would that mean that even if I did get it running it would be under powered or is the power determined by the ecu etc?

Apart form the engine code 150 HP and 182 HP 1.6 ECOboost engines are technically identical. The power output of the engine fully depends on the PCM software.

In my opinion the new engine should fire up and run even if the engine is not identical. I know cases where an incorrect 1.6 ECOboost engine was installed. These engines fired up and run very rough and resulted in engine damage pretty quick.

Personally I would start with a full part by part comparison based on the VIN numbers of the Focus MK3 and the Kuga MK2 donor vehicle.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club