Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Fiesta St-line X 2nd gear problem

GaryM72

I’ve had our 2018 Fiesta St-line X for a couple of months, bought it with 13k on the clock and it drove like a dream.

Recently there’s been an issue where on occasion when selecting 2nd gear it engages then jumps out again. It may do it 2 or. 3 times on a journey or not at all. I thought it may have been me so I ensured the clutch was fully engaged and the gear positively selected but still the same crunching and slipping out of gear. It’s also happened when my wife has driven it.

I’m going to contact Ford as there’s still 6 months of warranty remaining but in the meantime has anybody else experienced the same issue?

Thanks in advance. 

18 hours ago, GaryM72 said:

has anybody else experienced the same issue?

No, not on mine.

Edit: just to add to that. It's not the slickest gearchange I've ever had on a Ford. Some members on here have reported the same, while others say their changes are good, so individual cars seem to vary. Not seen any mention of the sort of issues described on the Mk 8, though.

16 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

No, not on mine.

Edit: just to add to that. It's not the slickest gearchange I've ever had on a Ford. Some members on here have reported the same, while others say their changes are good, so individual cars seem to vary. Not seen any mention of the sort of issues described on the Mk 8, though.

Thanks. It’s booked in with Ford in a weeks time so we’ll see. 
It’s not a case of just being a clunky gear change, it physically engages gear then instantly half drops out causing a gear grinding noise. I then have to take it out of gear and try again.  

1 hour ago, GaryM72 said:

It’s booked in with Ford in a weeks time so we’ll see. 

Will be interested to see the outcome. Hope yours is still under warranty!😃

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Will be interested to see the outcome. Hope yours is still under warranty!😃

4ish months left👍

• Like 1

There have been some posts on the facebook owners groups where gearboxes have gone and had to be replaced

• 2 weeks later...

My car was booked in at the beginning of this week and the fault was diagnosed as a second gear synchro issue so gearbox and and repairs in process. It’s a good job it’s still under warranty!! Hopefully pick up on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Glad you're getting it sorted under warranty, Gary.

I hope this does not mean that the problem with eating synchros that afflicted the Mk 7.5 is now coming up on the Mk 8!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, just reading this I have a mk8 fiesta st line, and I am having this exact issue with first gear as of today, my Ford is on lease and not sure if the warranty is still valid. How much roughly do you think it would’ve costed you

• 5 months later...

Same here 2018 car now I guess out of warranty bought for my son keeps slipping out of second and grinding 30 k miles 

do I have any come back 

2 hours ago, Kev g said:

Same here 2018 car now I guess out of warranty bought for my son keeps slipping out of second and grinding 30 k miles 

do I have any come back 

Out of warranty so I would say no.

• 4 months later...

I am having the same issue on my 2018 Fiesta Active, jumping out if 2nd gear, only 20k miles. Surely if this is happening to all of these cars of similar age there is some sort of manufacturing fault? 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, Mavroz said:

Out of warranty so I would say no.

It seems that there are a few of us with 2018 Fiestas all having thr same issue with jumping out of 2nd gear.  Seem like a manufacturing fault to me. Mine has only done 20k miles shouldn't be having gear box problems 😒 

1 hour ago, Chrissy_Dillard said:

It seems that there are a few of us with 2018 Fiestas all having thr same issue with jumping out of 2nd gear.  Seem like a manufacturing fault to me. Mine has only done 20k miles shouldn't be having gear box problems 😒 

Contact the dealership, you won't know the outcome until you ask. They may help out (through Ford) although the car is out of warranty if you have been loyal with them such as having services and mot's there. 

For ford to act it would take more than a few with the issues. Would need hundreds worldwide. Gearbox and clutch issues will always be put down to the way the car is and has been driven...

You never know, ask the question, they will either say yes, no or more than likely offer to pay a percentage of the overall cost of fixing the issue.

Good luck.