Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cutting off at high speed

usmanzar

Hi guys. My ford smax diesel 210 bhp has been cutting off power completely at high speed and under load I.e. engine turns off completely. Its been very scary as it has happened me over taking cars on fast lane with my kids at the back. Any one knows what could have been causing it? There is no engine management light on afterwards. Once pulled over. I put the car into park and it restarts like nothing happened. No fault codes were recorded.

Screenshot_20210214-004005_Gallery.jpg

Hi

Possible high pressure fuel pump can't keep up with fuel demand. Usually car must goes in limp mode, reduced power but not cutting off completley. 

After diagnostic should be an error code stored in memory.

Is a spung in the high pressure fuel pump which somethimes snaps a coil and pump is not maintaining pressure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, Costi said:

Hi

Possible high pressure fuel pump can't keep up with fuel demand. Usually car must goes in limp mode, reduced power but not cutting off completley. 

Is a spung in the high pressure fuel pump which somethimes snaps a coil and pump is not maintaining pressure.

I have had the codes now. Wondering if someone can explain exactly what is wrong with my car.

20210223_173014.jpg

20210223_173032.jpg

20210223_173051.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 11:51 PM, Costi said:

Hi

Mine isn't going into limp mode. It simply cuts out. 

• Sad 1

The code seems to come up fuel pressure regulator if you google it. Think that’s one best left to a competent   Mechanic. 

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I bought also 210hp S-max 2015 and it is doing the same think. 100km/h, 2700rpm and cut off engine. Need to stop, switch off engine and start again. P0087 stored in dtc. Fuel filter replaced, fuel regulator also. Pressure on the injectors is correct. No change after replacement of these parts. I assume, that fuel pressure sensor on the common rail is faulty. Have your fixed now? 

Thank you,

Miroslav Franko

Check the wiring that runs on the top of the engine as our 2.0l 210bhp one cuts out randomly when putting foot right down... lifted engine cover off and found it had been rubbing on engine cover and had 5 wires showing bear copper.... have now repaired them and touch wood the car has been fine and not cut out!

We were getting codes of P02FA and P228C

20220629_160132.jpg

• Like 1

Hello, it looks like the cables are OK, no damage to them. It is strange for me, because with higher speed and more load it is running without issue. Just around 100km/h. 

Hello, 

Pressure sensor on the common rail did not help also. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, new fuel pump did not help. It looks like petrol instead of diesel was put in. It looks like whole fuel system is damaged. Metal debris also found inside. I have returned vehicle. 

• 8 months later...

Hi, did you sort this problem? We are also getting this pro lem when towing caravan, so when the car is under load with caravan and car with children in it..... 🫣

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, shez83 said:

Hi, did you sort this problem? We are also getting this pro lem when towing caravan, so when the car is under load with caravan and car with children in it..... 🫣

Hi, did you sort this problem? I have the same one

On 2/24/2021 at 8:52 PM, usmanzar said:

Mine isn't going into limp mode. It simply cuts out. 

Hi, did you sort this problem?

On 2/14/2021 at 12:42 AM, usmanzar said:

Hi guys. My ford smax diesel 210 bhp has been cutting off power completely at high speed and under load I.e. engine turns off completely. Its been very scary as it has happened me over taking cars on fast lane with my kids at the back. Any one knows what could have been causing it? There is no engine management light on afterwards. Once pulled over. I put the car into park and it restarts like nothing happened. No fault codes were recorded.

Screenshot_20210214-004005_Gallery.jpg

Hi there, I hope you got this sorted? I have the same issue, with the same spec car. 

Contacted Ford Ho to see what their records show on this fault.

Unfortunately no🙁

On 7/3/2022 at 1:16 PM, Craigo1986 said:

Check the wiring that runs on the top of the engine as our 2.0l 210bhp one cuts out randomly when putting foot right down... lifted engine cover off and found it had been rubbing on engine cover and had 5 wires showing bear copper.... have now repaired them and touch wood the car has been fine and not cut out!

We were getting codes of P02FA and P228C

20220629_160132.jpg

Can someone explain exactly where this cable connection is located.I've been looking for it for a long time today but i couldn't find it.Thanks 

Its the main loom that runs accross the top of the engine to the injectors.. if you look where the engine cover is the loom rubs on it on the left hand side as you look at it

several times it puts me in very dangerous situations, it only happens when i accelerate fast on the freeway

Colleague had similar problem on Mondeo 2.0 TDI, cutting out no faults found.

Main dealer had the car in numerous times and could not diagnose the fault. Eventually traced to faulty injector that was overfuelling.

Injectors replaced problem fixed.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:41 PM, Toni S MAX said:

Hi, did you sort this problem? I have the same one

Hi, no still have the problem, now happening more often 😔 have been told to get the injectors tested but that's approx £300 and then £1000 to replace which wouldn't be as bad if it would definitely fix the problem.....

• 7 months later...

Hi. Have you solved the problem? I had this too with an 2015 2.0 tdci Galaxy. I replaced the gas tank fuel pump, but the P0087 code didnt disapeared.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club