Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking out the competitors.

Alex.S

I bough my MK4 used a few months ago, after doing loads of research based on my requirements (somewhere to put a full-sized spare, towing capaicity etc.)

I rapidly found the following

Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan - have switched or are in process of switching to Hybrid, so cars a bigger than I want, and towing capaicity is of no use.

Volvo - the ideal V40 gone out of production, and nothing new enough now available.

Vauxhall - Astra would have vbeen ideal, but boot floor flat presumably for hybrid batteries, so no chance of carrying spare.

Focus - edge over Astra in that it has a (shallow) well that can be adapted.

Hybrids IMHO u/s, technology not mature enought yet and too expensive. How much will replacement batteries cost 5 years down the line?

• Like 1

The 155 mild hybrid automatic,  same engine in the Titanium Vignale as the ST Line Vignale. I thought at least. Anyone any idea why the emissions from the ST Line are slightly higher? 

3C0B191D-A2E2-435E-8BE2-E9FBC5F2C20E.png

11 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

The 155 mild hybrid automatic,  same engine in the Titanium Vignale as the ST Line Vignale. I thought at least. Anyone any idea why the emissions from the ST Line are slightly higher? 

It might have wider tyres and I think the ST Line cars sit a little lower to the ground and it might be slightly less aerodynamic but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference unless the Gear Ratios are different too.

Are the 0 - 60 times and Torque the same?

50 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Does the extra trim = more weight?

53 minutes ago, Tizer said:

unless the Gear Ratios are different too.

Are the 0 - 60 times and Torque the same?

Gear ratios seems plausible. I don’t know times or torque. 

26 minutes ago, RMurphy195 said:

Does the extra trim = more weight?

Maybe the ST Line has multi link suspension  🙏🙏🙏

8 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Gear ratios seems plausible. I don’t know times or torque. 

Maybe the ST Line has multi link suspension  🙏🙏🙏

You mean a few bits of angle iron fastened together with tie wraps 😲

11 hours ago, Tizer said:

It might have wider tyres

This.  The STLV has 18s, the TV has 17s.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This.  The STLV has 18s, the TV has 17s.

It was the same with my version of the Mk4, the co2 emissions differed depending on the Tyre size.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tizer said:

It was the same with my version of the Mk4, the co2 emissions differed depending on the Tyre size.

Yeah, it's been the same with VAG group cars for a while as well.  Even 10 years ago, to get a 2.0 TDI in the £30 tax band you had to choose a spec with the correct sized wheels.  An extra inch of rim could push it into the £110 tax band!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

An extra inch of rim could push it into the

😲 Bring back Angus for the missing caption round on Have I got news for you 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, it's been the same with VAG group cars for a while as well.  Even 10 years ago, to get a 2.0 TDI in the £30 tax band you had to choose a spec with the correct sized wheels.  An extra inch of rim could push it into the £110 tax band!

My Mondeo with an extra inch would have put it the higher tax band. From£20 to £30. Dodged a bullet by choosing 16in rim model.😂😂😂

• Haha 1

These 155bhp engine focus are group 18 insurance. There’s an interesting EV from Peugeot on MB , e-208, small car tho .  136bhp …£300 more than the focus ap . £1.4k 

I’ve not watched a review yet but group 28 insurance, makes no difference to me financially, must be a bit of a hot hatch 🧐 what I’ve read of it it is fully loaded. Claiming 350km range 🤷‍♂️ 

Didn’t think I’d watch all of this 👇 

Possibly another contender for you, Alex.  The new 308 has been added to MB today.  Top model is a 1.6 turbo petrol plug in hybrid with 225bhp.  AP is eye watering at over £4k.  But it does come in a fantastic shade of green!!

peugeot_308phev_0321.thumb.jpg.bac5893845ee5b37c842b0ef950f34b9.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, TomsFocus said:

Possibly another contender for you, Alex.  The new 308 has been added to MB today.  Top model is a 1.6 turbo petrol plug in hybrid with 225bhp.  AP is eye watering at over £4k.  But it does come in a fantastic shade of green!!

peugeot_308phev_0321.thumb.jpg.bac5893845ee5b37c842b0ef950f34b9.jpg

Thanks Tom, I was hoping they’d add the 308. Yeah £4k isn’t realistic at the moment but lead times (not sure about Peugeot) at up to a year I’d have plenty time to pay it up! It looks great but not in green ! I’m a Rangers fan! Btw afaik BMW and mini have withdrawn completely from MB . And ford have added the 4.5 focus . St line Vignale £1.3k or titanium Vignale for the same amount. 🧐 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Thanks Tom, I was hoping they’d add the 308. Yeah £4k isn’t realistic at the moment but lead times (not sure about Peugeot) at up to a year I’d have plenty time to pay it up! It looks great but not in green ! I’m a Rangers fan! Btw afaik BMW and mini have withdrawn completely from MB . And ford have added the 4.5 focus . St line Vignale £1.3k or titanium Vignale for the same amount. 🧐 

I believe BMW & Mini will be returning next quarter but that has made a big dent in the numbers!  Mate has a Mini on the scheme currently and is hoping to replace with another, probably electric next time.

The £4k AP doesn't look so bad compared to the Astra PHEV...£6,500 AP for that!! 

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I believe BMW & Mini will be returning next quarter but that has made a big dent in the numbers!  Mate has a Mini on the scheme currently and is hoping to replace with another, probably electric next time.

The £4k AP doesn't look so bad compared to the Astra PHEV...£6,500 AP for that!! 

Thing is £6.5k ap then 3 years of payments…talking about £15k in total and you own nothing at the end of the lease apart from £600 good condition bonus. 
theres 2 308s I like the look of. The GT at £3.5k or preferably the GT Premium at £4k. Realistically it’ll probably be a focus for just over a grand. 

The Astra must have a flux capacitor for that money! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Thing is £6.5k ap then 3 years of payments…talking about £15k in total and you own nothing at the end of the lease apart from £600 good condition bonus. 
theres 2 308s I like the look of. The GT at £3.5k or preferably the GT Premium at £4k. Realistically it’ll probably be a focus for just over a grand. 

The Astra must have a flux capacitor for that money! 

Never really understood the ins and outs of leasing etc but what happens to the upfront £6.5k if you decide to renew or not at the end of the deal ?

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Never really understood the ins and outs of leasing etc but what happens to the upfront £6.5k if you decide to renew or not at the end of the deal ?

The £6.5k advance payment you don’t get back! 6.5 is stupid , the same car last year would be a third of that. If you cancel early they reimburse you pro rata .

This is motability we’re taking David , it’s the first lease I’ve had even though been eligible for 20+ years. I’m sure a normal car lease would be much more complicated and costly. So 9 grand over the 3 years and Advance payment (optional) , if you want a high spec car gotta pay an AP. Which have all tripled as of 1st January. 

4 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

The £6.5k advance payment you don’t get back! 6.5 is stupid , the same car last year would be a third of that. If you cancel early they reimburse you pro rata .

This is motability we’re taking David , it’s the first lease I’ve had even though been eligible for 20+ years. I’m sure a normal car lease would be much more complicated and costly. So 9 grand over the 3 years and Advance payment (optional) , if you want a high spec car gotta pay an AP. Which have all tripled as of 1st January. 

Thanks for the clarification. That's a lot of upfront cash to walk away from. 

I understood it was motability but presumed it would more or less mirror leasing/HP if you get my drift.

30 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Realistically it’ll probably be a focus for just over a grand. 

How much longer have you got left now?  I wouldn't be surprised if the Focus AP rises in Q2 so always good to have a second choice just in case.

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

Thanks for the clarification. That's a lot of upfront cash to walk away from. 

I understood it was motability but presumed it would more or less mirror leasing/HP if you get my drift.

The big difference with Motability is that everyone pays the same monthly payments.  So if you need a bigger car or a higher spec or an automatic, then the advance payment changes considerably.  You also have to pay for any optional extras or adaptions upfront as well, whereas with a normal lease you'd spread that across the monthlies.

On top of that, many of us are always at risk of losing the eligibility at the next assessment...which could mean the 3 year lease is cut short, but still having paid the AP & options upfront.

Definitely more to think about than just being 'given a free car' as some of the papers would have you believe.  Even if I am eligible this time, I may still be more secure using the money to pay for an alternative lease/finance scheme instead of MB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The big difference with Motability is that everyone pays the same monthly payments.  So if you need a bigger car or a higher spec or an automatic, then the advance payment changes considerably.  You also have to pay for any optional extras or adaptions upfront as well, whereas with a normal lease you'd spread that across the monthlies.

On top of that, many of us are always at risk of losing the eligibility at the next assessment...which could mean the 3 year lease is cut short, but still having paid the AP & options upfront.

Definitely more to think about than just being 'given a free car' as some of the papers would have you believe.  Even if I am eligible this time, I may still be more secure using the money to pay for an alternative lease/finance scheme instead of MB.

If I've read that correctly @TomsFocus the your saying you could take out a 3yr deal via MB but it could be revoked after a year once you have coughed up the AP ? 

1 hour ago, Wino said:

If I've read that correctly @TomsFocus the your saying you could take out a 3yr deal via MB but it could be revoked after a year once you have coughed up the AP ? 

Yep!!  And with the current build waits being 6-12 months...you could only have the car a few months in very unfortunate (and hopefully quite rare) circumstances.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How much longer have you got left now?  I wouldn't be surprised if the Focus AP rises in Q2 so always good to have a second choice just in case.

Due to order Q3 (starts July 1st)  date for ordering is July 3rd. There’s nothing I can do about the date. Could go either way re APs. 

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Yep!!  And with the current build waits being 6-12 months...you could only have the car a few months in very unfortunate (and hopefully quite rare) circumstances.

Apparently if you lose your award they give back some of the AP.