Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox issue (or driver)

R121RPD

Hi everyone, please bare with me with this one. So I have a 1ltr fiesta Zetec S 65 plate. The usual 5 speed gearbox etc. Im not sure if it's a fault on my behalf or if there is a fault with my gear box. When I'm doing the usual driving around town it shifts absolutely fine. But when I get onto a road that needs abit more speed, going from second to third it feels like my 2nd gear gets stuck like the clutch hasent let go (although it's fully pressed) I could only think this could be a fault on my behalf if I try shift to quickly, or if I try shift when my engine speed is too high. As said above, usually town driving is absolutely fine. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

shifting at any RPM is fine in terms of actually changing to a different gear, this may sound stupid, but are you sure your pressing the pedal in all the way when you shift

10 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

shifting at any RPM is fine in terms of actually changing to a different gear, this may sound stupid, but are you sure your pressing the pedal in all the way when you shift

I'm fairly certain I am, when I next need to go out I will ensure I am, and if the problem persists I will let you know. Could explain why its intermittent, never had the issue before haha!

Thanks 

37 minutes ago, Lewie226 said:

When you say the clutch hasn’t let go are you saying it’s slipping

Noo I don't think so, when intry shift from 2nd to 3rd, it's almost as if the gear stick gets stuck between the two gears

1 hour ago, R121RPD said:

Noo I don't think so, when intry shift from 2nd to 3rd, it's almost as if the gear stick gets stuck between the two gears

That would be 'dragging', the opposite of slipping.

However it sounds like a worn gearbox synchro in this case.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, R121RPD said:

Hi everyone, please bare with me with this one. So I have a 1ltr fiesta Zetec S 65 plate. The usual 5 speed gearbox etc. Im not sure if it's a fault on my behalf or if there is a fault with my gear box. When I'm doing the usual driving around town it shifts absolutely fine. But when I get onto a road that needs abit more speed, going from second to third it feels like my 2nd gear gets stuck like the clutch hasent let go (although it's fully pressed) I could only think this could be a fault on my behalf if I try shift to quickly, or if I try shift when my engine speed is too high. As said above, usually town driving is absolutely fine. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I had a similar issue - 

Mine only surfaced when the gearbox got up to operating temperature. Learn from my mistake and get a mechanic to check the shift arm by taking it off, cleaning it and greasing it.

If it is the synchros, have you any idea how much it'll cost? Hope it is a simple, cheap fix anyhow.

1 hour ago, craigjoshuamuscat said:

If it is the synchros, have you any idea how much it'll cost? Hope it is a simple, cheap fix anyhow.

Would require a gearbox strip to replace a worn synchro, so not a cheap fix.  Most people would just put up with it.

Reason I suggest synchro in this case is because it's only the one gear, and 2nd to 3rd is usually the most aggressive shift in a petrol so wears quickest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @TomsFocus thanks for the heads up, have had this checked l, and while he greased the selector etc he did agree with you on the synchro, and quoted a rather hefty bill for repair, so I will stick with it.

Thank you for helping, really appreciated

• Like 1

double declutching may help prevent further ware to the syncro

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club