Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unable To Change Gears

Sage9142

Hi All, 

I’m new to this group so there may already be answers upon this site fir what I’m about to ask if so would be appreciated to point me in the right direction. 

Very occasionally over the last week my Fiesta Black Edition refuses to go into any gear while driving, there seems to be no pattern of events for this just springs up out the blue, today it decided to do it and I couldn’t not put it into any gear had to slowly pull over and decided to turn car on and off which then cause the car to vibrate when putting in first so repeated this process after and it worked and all gears were fluid and fine for the remainder of the journey. Has any one else experienced anything like this before or is it a big warning that a large bill maybe coming my way if I don’t get it looked at immediately, like I said it’s not every journey it’s happened twice in the last week and has never done it before since owning the car for over 6 months  

thank you for your help and like I said please point me in the right direction if this has been answered before 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dezwez said:

welcome 

Thank you mate 

Sounds like my car just one month ago. And it got worst and the. Simply the gear wont go in. Mine in concrete was the 2nd gear. And going down from 3rd to 2nd it wouldn't go. It seems its the synchros gearbox, as the ib5 gearbox are made of chocolate and yes the repair costs a kidney. So im considering conversion to ib6 but its hell confusing for me. Otherwise cheaper option is getting a second hand gearbox... and replacing it. 
i hope its nothing as serious as i said but it just reminded me of my situation and its a very common fault 😞

5 hours ago, axesuso said:

Sounds like my car just one month ago. And it got worst and the. Simply the gear wont go in. Mine in concrete was the 2nd gear. And going down from 3rd to 2nd it wouldn't go. It seems its the synchros gearbox, as the ib5 gearbox are made of chocolate and yes the repair costs a kidney. So im considering conversion to ib6 but its hell confusing for me. Otherwise cheaper option is getting a second hand gearbox... and replacing it. 
i hope its nothing as serious as i said but it just reminded me of my situation and its a very common fault 😞

Best start saving the Pennies to be on the safe side then, got a mate to have a look at it later today after work and I’ll see what he has to say thank you for your comment least I know I’m not the only one 

4 hours ago, Chaz84 said:

Have you had a look to see if it’s the slave cylinder

I haven’t no mate  but my mate is looking at it tonight so will be something I will ask him to check thank you for your comment 

Some time the links at the front need cleaned out and fresh lube. But it could be the slave cylinder any way will need to take it off not to bad a job tbh as long as you have plenty of jack and stands

2 hours ago, Chaz84 said:

Some time the links at the front need cleaned out and fresh lube. But it could be the slave cylinder any way will need to take it off not to bad a job tbh as long as you have plenty of jack and stands

Sound mate thanks for the advice and the help 

Hi Sage9142,

Have a read of my thread the other day - 

Check the shift arm by taking it off and cleaning it as then you may find pitting/score marks on it. If so, slap a load of grease on all the connection points and then tighten it all back up.

All the best.

If anyone looking where to find the gearbox points on a ib5 box there just behind a plastic cover the pops off it’s a 10 min job easy to apply plenty of copper lube

2 hours ago, craigjoshuamuscat said:

Hi Sage9142,

Have a read of my thread the other day - 

Check the shift arm by taking it off and cleaning it as then you may find pitting/score marks on it. If so, slap a load of grease on all the connection points and then tighten it all back up.

All the best.

Cheers mate after speaking to mechanic he seems to think it’s the clutch itself rather than the gearbox so he said play it by here and see how it goes so looking a possibility to get clutch replaced 

22 hours ago, Sage9142 said:

Cheers mate after speaking to mechanic he seems to think it’s the clutch itself rather than the gearbox so he said play it by here and see how it goes so looking a possibility to get clutch replaced 

Bro i really hope its the clutch as in my case we thought the same and i just played it on the clutch. Although the clutch was quite worn out it wasnt the problem. After mounting the new clutch, the gearbox gave more symptoms like more gears wouldnt enter at all and the 2nd starting crunching... now im looking for a second hand gearbox 😞

i hope you have more luck than me

Out of interest how many miles has your car done? and it may be worth checking the gearbox oil level and or having a look for leaks around the driveshaft seats just for piece of mind.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club