Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need help rear lights.

Maymod40

Okay when I park up my rear lights work including number plate light light.  At night they do not light up while I am driving around with no back lights, I am not sure what to set the light on I just assumed they where auto like my previous older car.

What do I press or set the dial too

Smax 2016 mk2

Seriously I think my tail lights might be gone how do I check???

I am not sure what to set the dial on and is the tail lights just meant to come on.

Do you have an auto setting on the switch?  Which spec is your S-Max?

The tail lights should be on with either side lights or dipped beam.  The only time they shouldn't be on is during the day if you have DRL's on at the front.

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have an auto setting on the switch?  Which spec is your S-Max?

The tail lights should be on with either side lights or dipped beam.  The only time they shouldn't be on is during the day if you have DRL's on at the front.

Mine is a 2016 2.0 tdci titanium mk2 the dial looks like this and if anyone's generous enough to tell me what everything is would be great.

I have numbered them 1 to 10 and I do know what some of them maybe??? BTW 10 is the middle thing that sticks out but have no clue what it is and 10 is connected to 9 I'm guessing.

The dial does not go to 8 for some reason.

Screenshot_20210220-224006_Chrome.jpg

Are you totally sure that's identical to your switch?  That isn't an auto light switch, but I would expect a Titanium to have auto lights.  (They do on Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo)

1. Off - no lights at all

2. Side lights - (aka parking lights)

3. Dipped beams - this is where you must place the switch when you need the lights on as there is no auto function present

4. Dash brightness increase

5. Dash brightness decrease

6. Rear fog light

7. Front fog lights

8. No function - just a symbol to show that's the light switch

9 & 10. Headlight level adjustment - when the stick pops out, you can lower the headlights from 0-4 depending on how much load is in the back.  The more weight in the boot, the more the front end lifts and can dazzle oncoming drivers - realistically people rarely ever use that.

• Thanks 1

It is not exactly like that the only difference is I have another icon after number 3 which looks more like 8 but this time the dial cam get their.

Sorry I have added a picture where I have added the word "this".

I always have to go from off to this because if I leave it their sometimes the tail lights don't come on so I was trying to find automatic lights.

20210222_185847.jpg

Also while my cars moving the numberplate lights don't come on as I have been told.

11 minutes ago, Maymod40 said:

Sorry I have added a picture where I have added the word "this".

I always have to go from off to this because if I leave it their sometimes the tail lights don't come on so I was trying to find automatic lights.

20210222_185847.jpg

Also while my cars moving the numberplate lights don't come on as I have been told.

That final symbol is the auto lights symbol.

You should be able to leave the switch there permanently and the lights come on and off as needed.

(Except some circumstances such as fog where you'd have to manually switch them on due to sensor limitation)

If the rear lights and plate lights aren't coming on then you have a fault somewhere.  Possibly just a loose plug but could be a wiring fault.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That final symbol is the auto lights symbol.

You should be able to leave the switch there permanently and the lights come on and off as needed.

(Except some circumstances such as fog where you'd have to manually switch them on due to sensor limitation)

If the rear lights and plate lights aren't coming on then you have a fault somewhere.  Possibly just a loose plug but could be a wiring fault.

When I park up the tail lights are on and so are the number plate lights so I know they work.

1 minute ago, Maymod40 said:

When I park up the tail lights are on and so are the number plate lights so I know they work.

Yes, I see what you mean now.  You were leaving the switch 'off' so the lights won't come on.

Just leave the switch on the final 'auto' setting permanently.  There's no need to switch the lights off from auto when you switch the engine off.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, I see what you mean now.  You were leaving the switch 'off' so the lights won't come on.

Just leave the switch on the final 'auto' setting permanently.  There's no need to switch the lights off from auto when you switch the engine off.

Sorry I think I may have not explained properly... I know i put it on that to auto switch to put the lights on and at times I do end up leaving it their but the tail lights don't come on sometimes. Other drivers have told me. But mostly the numberplate light don't come on either when the tail lightsare on. I have seen them work while I was parked up and changed the bulb. For some reason they don't come on and even leaving it on left it on auto. My friend has told me the tail lights are on but not the numberplate are not as he drove behind me when it was dark.

My question is when the tail lights come on the number plate lights should be on too right??? Or is their some kind of switch I need to press as that would be a first.

8 hours ago, Maymod40 said:

My question is when the tail lights come on the number plate lights should be on too right??? Or is their some kind of switch I need to press as that would be a first.

Yes the numberplate lights should always be on when the lights are on, there's no extra switch for them.  Tail lights should always be on with the headlights as well (just not with the DRLs alone).  Something is definitely faulty there. 

Could be a loose connection.  Could be a dodgy bulb, especially if they're LED on the S-Max.  Could be damp or corrosion in the light units.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes the numberplate lights should always be on when the lights are on, there's no extra switch for them.  Tail lights should always be on with the headlights as well (just not with the DRLs alone).  Something is definitely faulty there. 

Could be a loose connection.  Could be a dodgy bulb, especially if they're LED on the S-Max.  Could be damp or corrosion in the light units.

Nah the bulbs not dodgy when I changed it to the argo scillicon bulbs they was working and they come on every now and again.

Anyhow back to Ford it goes.

These are the bulbs...

Screenshot_20210223-172435_eBay.jpg

Infact I take that back they are dodgy bulbs. I can see they are dim as anything inside when they worked before.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club