Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Ka with poor steering "feel"

Larry C

Hi all, we have a 2012 Ka 1.2 as a runabout for our eldest son and as it happens more so for me! Decent enough wee thing for what we paid but as it's about mid 90k in mileage it's starting to show it's age and I've already learned a lot regarding how to take it apart to fix things! One big issue with it is the poor steering feel with the electric power steering. I probably need to point out that the other two cars in our family is a brand new Fiesta ST Line which has very good steering feel and also a modified 1973 Mini Clubman which goes without saying has excellent steering feel with no steering assistance. So the Ka feels a bit vague in the dead ahead position, it tends to want to slightly wander. Also when turning it feels slightly disjointed as it were, a bit like driving a site dumper or similar bit of construction plant! It's just gone through an MOT and the tyres are showing even wear so I don't think there's any big problems with the various steering joints, but I probably should get an alignment check to confirm. So do these little cars in general have good steering feel or are they known for not being that great in that department?

• 2 years later...

...in the hope of maybe reviving this post..

I have a 15 reg KA Titanium and am having the same issues as the OP.   The electric power steering feels generally tight and vague.  At speed on the dual carriageway, it doesn't feel as if a steering input will do very much and is quite hard to keep a line, especially on poor road surfaces.  At slower speeds the steering does not want to turn back to straight ahead, so would carry on going round in circles ad infinitum if you didn't correct it.

Garage have checked the power steering and say its all ok and just a "Ka thing" exaggerated by the fat low profile tyres and harder suspension.  I drove a non Titanium Ka of the same type (electric power steering) and it just felt normal and like any other car I've driven.

Any ideas?

13 hours ago, Bigyinuk said:

...in the hope of maybe reviving this post..

I have a 15 reg KA Titanium and am having the same issues as the OP.   The electric power steering feels generally tight and vague.  At speed on the dual carriageway, it doesn't feel as if a steering input will do very much and is quite hard to keep a line, especially on poor road surfaces.  At slower speeds the steering does not want to turn back to straight ahead, so would carry on going round in circles ad infinitum if you didn't correct it.

Garage have checked the power steering and say its all ok and just a "Ka thing" exaggerated by the fat low profile tyres and harder suspension.  I drove a non Titanium Ka of the same type (electric power steering) and it just felt normal and like any other car I've driven.

Any ideas?

As the KA is based on the Fiat 500 I would have a look on that car's Forums.

There are no Ford components, whatsoever on a KA MK2

We've had it to bits and it looks like the actual steering rack as opposed to the powered column.  Steering is really stiff and heavy even with the front wheels fully off the ground.  Plus the nearside rack end is worn bady and clonking (even though it passed the MOT?????).

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club