Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1st service , ok to go to independent garage?

shaz4473

HI, my mums Fiesta is coming up for 2 years old, purchased from new.  Can anyone advise if it is preferable to go to the local Ford garage where the car was bought from to get the service in case of any warranty issues down the line or can she go to an independent garage without it having any negative impact on any future warranty claim?????

Doesn’t have to be the supplying garage or a ford dealer, as long as it’s done with genuine parts and to the ford service schedule it’ll be fine, keep the receipts.

• Like 2

great, thanks for letting me know.  First time servicing a new car in years so appreciate being kept informed here 🙂

Can anyone help with what price a 2 year Fiesta service might cost?  I can't find any prices online for Ford servicing and wondered it is standard at any Ford garage?

Personally I would go to the the dealer for this one.  They'll plug in and update any modules which an Indy can't do.  And they'll also update the digital service record.

Also check if theres any warranty work needed as they can confirm that at the time.  (Door seals, broken edge protectors, faulty Speakers etc).

Prices seem to have disappeared since I last checked (unless they just don't show on mobile) but I'm sure it was around £230.  It's not standard, each franchise can choose their prices.

Currently there's a £30 off voucher code if you book online via Ford.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting approximate price, handy to have this info ahead.  I went online to Ford but unfortunately they don't show the dealer nearest to me as an option for online booking.  I might get in touch to ask if they will honour a discount to save me changing my booking to another garage - if you don't ask you don't get 🙂

• Like 1

I agree with Tom.   I'd definitely go to your original garage for your first service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shaz4473 said:

Can anyone help with what price a 2 year Fiesta service might cost?  I can't find any prices online for Ford servicing and wondered it is standard at any Ford garage?

I paid £225 last year for my 1st (2nd year) service, Ford Main dealer  - In the "old" days you'd have had a service in the first year so you saved on that, and you won't need one next year either - stick with Ford dealer its worth it for peace of mind at least while its under warrenty.

My 2 year service last year was about £210, plus, as mentioned already, you get the breakdown cover which can be worthwhile.

On the current extended service schedule, it's the only service actually required during the 3 year warranty, so I'd tend to go with the dealer also. Ford do recommend a "convenience check" at 12 months, though it's not mandatory. You do get the breakdown cover with it, though.

I've generally stuck with my local Ford dealer for Ford servicing anyway, it's a small family owned dealership, not part of one of the big groups.

With other makes I've used the main dealer during warranty, then made the decision as to whether to stick with them if happy with the service, or move to my village garage, if not. 

Just had a look at our local Perry's ( Where we got our Focus from) there annual service is currently at £242 inc vat for the 1st and 2nd year services but jumps up to £347 inc vat for the 3rd year and repeats the same price cycle every 3yrs. 

Our 2nd yr service is due next month but won't be going to Perry's .

Thanks very much for all the input here.  I must admit I have not had good experiences with the local Ford garages in the past and have been using an independent garage very happily who uses genuine Ford parts on the last car, owned up to 12 years old from new which came with 3 yr service plan.    Now moved to a new car I was wary about getting the 1st service done elsewhere other than the Ford garage as I know although they should not if it came down to a goodwill gesture of warranty at any point they would hold it against you if you had not used them for any service.

The local Ford dealer it is on this occassion.

Once the car is past it's warranty cover age then back to the independent I go.  I know if really comes down to the team of staff in each individual dealership how your experience can be.

Today called and they confirmed that the service will cost £237.40.  After receiving the price I mentioned the Ford discount offer and the service manager has agreed to honour it 🙂  I did not mention it at the beginning in case it case they quoted me the £237.40 and said the discount was included!  I know I am very untrusting but I used to work for the garage trade for many years so know that unfortunately they are not keen to give out discounts if they don't have to!

All advice has been greatly appreciated 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Of course! Some independant garages are great.

A lot of dealerships tend to get more money out of you by suggesting that more things need to be replaced when sometimes they don't... Usually fords are pretty reasonable but some other dealers *cough* Land Rover *cough* will try and rob you blind.

I honestly wouldn't worry about taking a car to an independent garage, as long as it is reputable and not some back alley place. Look around on google for locals and check out the reviews. 👍🏼

• Like 2

My car us due mot this month so end of warranty

Had aircon serviced at dealership, but they say its not due a full service now but next year

I do not like to leave my cars two years for a service, so I'm taking it to a trusty local small garage I've used for 25 years, for mot and a service, it had its 2nd year 18000 mile service at dealers last Feb

But will be going to my regular local from now on, they listen to issues and fully investigate them, you get more a one on one

I'd agree 2nd service under warranty definitely use ford for that, but then I'd be off down the road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HRF1T2020 said:

My car us due mot this month so end of warranty

Had aircon serviced at dealership, but they say its not due a full service now but next year

I do not like to leave my cars two years for a service, so I'm taking it to a trusty local small garage I've used for 25 years, for mot and a service, it had its 2nd year 18000 mile service at dealers last Feb

But will be going to my regular local from now on, they listen to issues and fully investigate them, you get more a one on one

I'd agree 2nd service under warranty definitely use ford for that, but then I'd be off down the road.

Some cars manufactured schedule can sometimes be a two year service but it's good that you would rather have a yearly service, shows you look after your car. 👍🏼

If it was me, I'd rather have yearly services but I check my oil and water regularly. It doesn't take much time to do and it's a good way of checking if your car is running okay.

• Like 2

I use Formula 1 auto Centre near me, I have a 2019 Focus 1.5 TDCi, they do a good job

8 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I use Formula 1 auto Centre near me, I have a 2019 Focus 1.5 TDCi, they do a good job

Trouble with any franchise is that it's down to the individual branch.  I used to use my local regularly until the staff changed and it went downhill immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Trouble with any franchise is that it's down to the individual branch.  I used to use my local regularly until the staff changed and it went downhill immediately.

Yes, it's a similar story with dealer groups as well. My local Audi, VW, Skoda, SEAT, Land Rover, Vauxhall dealerships all had good reputations,at one time, now they don't!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys I was wondering if you could help, I have a service booked at an independent garage, however, I dont have a log book or anything to log services on other than my ford pass app, however, to be able to log the service on the app it has to be done directly from Ford. I contacted my dealership and they said it must be them who does it (dont believe this - as it cancels out independent garages from earning) but how else would I be able to prove my car has been serviced? Any help or guidance is appreciated, not had good service experiences with dealerships in the past and feel that it is far too expensive to be paying £200+ for a service when another garage can do it for £150 and complete the exact same thing. Thanks 

It looks as if access for independents is possible. Below from the Parkers website. Your garage should give you an invoice showing work completed, parts and materials used etc anyway.

Can independent garages update my car’s service history?

Yes, they can. Provided the garage is registered with the Independent Garage Association (IGA), they can upload information onto the manufacturer’s secure centralised database. This means they can continue maintaining the record, even if the garage isn’t affiliated with the dealership or brand directly. You can find out which garages are registered with the IGA here.

The process can be arduous for garages, as each manufacturer has its own portal. For example, the VW Group uses a platform called ErWin, while Ford uses a programme called Etis. However, in November 2020, Digital-Servicebook was introduced to the UK market with the aim of streamlining the process. It’s a one-stop portal covering all manufacturers for independent garages to use in order to mitigate the need to log in separately to each car maker’s system

© 1962-2023 Bauer Media Group

Bauer Media Group consists of: Bauer Consumer Media Ltd, Company number: 01176085; Bauer Radio Ltd, Company Number: 1394141; H Bauer Publishing, Company Number: LP003328 Registered Office: Media House, Peterborough Business Park, Lynch Wood, Peterborough. All registered in England and Wales. VAT no 918 5617 01 H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA (Ref No. 845898) For the broking of Personal Contract Hire agreements H Bauer Publishing Limited is an introducer appointed representative of ZenAuto Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tine said:

Hi Guys I was wondering if you could help, I have a service booked at an independent garage, however, I dont have a log book or anything to log services on other than my ford pass app, however, to be able to log the service on the app it has to be done directly from Ford. I contacted my dealership and they said it must be them who does it (dont believe this - as it cancels out independent garages from earning) but how else would I be able to prove my car has been serviced? Any help or guidance is appreciated, not had good service experiences with dealerships in the past and feel that it is far too expensive to be paying £200+ for a service when another garage can do it for £150 and complete the exact same thing. Thanks 

In my opinion it totally depends upon your relationship and plans with your dealer.

Was the car new, is it on a PCP where your car will be traded for a new one every two to three years? If so like us we have built up loyalty with the dealer as they have with us. We have our services done there and it always shows at trade in time when negotiating on prices and extras etc is done. It works for us but may not for others. We have a very good relationship with the dealership and believe they have always treat us fairly and well and value our custom. For an extra 50 quid it would be a no brained for me to have the dealer perform the service, again purely for loyalty, warranty issues blah blah.

The same could also be said if a person keeps a car past the 3 Yr warranty period and something goes wrong shortly after. You have more chance of the dealer fighting your corner with Ford to get work done gratis or at discount prices...

The choice is purely the car owners decision. 👍🏻

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tine said:

If you're still under warranty I'd go the Ford dealer route, if your engine seizes in a few months, Ford will blame the wrong oil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tine said:

I have a service booked at an independent garage

I see from your post on another thread that the "independent" is in fact Halfords.

I'd tend to agree with the other guys and stick with Ford for the sake of £50, especially as the car is still under warranty and (assuming your dealer participates) you also get 12 months breakdown assistance thrown in.