Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6Tdci could it be head gasket :-(

RPW

Hi all

First post so please be gentle

Mk3 2012 1.6tdci with 100800 on the clock. All been fine up until this afternoon.

After a quick wash I took it for a spin, as you do & after about 100m it started to cough & splutter, like it was only running on 3. Thought it might of just been a bit of water getting in somewhere it shouldn't. But when I got back home I noticed no coolant in the header tank & it was now running like a right pig.

Topped the coolant up, checked the oil on the dip-stick & removed the oil filler cap (very small amount of mayo on the cap). It took around 5L of water before it was on min in the header tank. Tried to start the car & it just wouldn't have it.

Striped the rocker cover off & all was ok, apart from a little mayo near the oil filler cap, bit of oil in the top boost hose, bit of mayo in the air box to turbo hose.

Cleaned all that lot up, put it all back together & it started, but was running really rough, little bit of (possible) white smoke out the back. Drove it from back of my house to the front (around 70-100m) & the header tank was empty within that short drive. 

I'm not that up to date with these modern engines any more, but I'm ok with the basic stuff. 

Few bit's I've seen online are suggesting it could be the EGR valve, letting coolant water into the engine or head gasket.

Anyone got any ideas????

Thanks in advance      

A small amount of emulsified oil (what you're referring to as mayo) is pretty normal if the cars been used for short journeys (or not at recently). Condensation builds up and mixes with the oil, it'll stay there if you don't get the engine hot enough.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Some ideas Here

Thanks for that, had a read through. But don't quite cover the issues I'm having with mine

5 litres of water is an alarming amount to have gone through the engine in such a short space of time.  That should have easily bent a rod.  

It's also strange for so much to disappear if it was a high up fault such as an EGR cooler or headgasket.  Seems much more likely to be a burst lower rad hose or possibly a cracked engine block.  Rough running could be from false temp readings.

I'd roll it out today onto some dry ground/cardboard, fill it up and see if you can see any leaks at all, both with the engine off and then on if nothing obvious.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

5 litres of water is an alarming amount to have gone through the engine in such a short space of time.  That should have easily bent a rod.  

It's also strange for so much to disappear if it was a high up fault such as an EGR cooler or headgasket.  Seems much more likely to be a burst lower rad hose or possibly a cracked engine block.  Rough running could be from false temp readings.

I'd roll it out today onto some dry ground/cardboard, fill it up and see if you can see any leaks at all, both with the engine off and then on if nothing obvious.

Had my man out this morning.

Seems there has been a small oil/ diesel leak dripping down the back of the lump onto a coolant hose. 

That hose must of slit, dumped all the coolant, engine got hot & popped the head gasket.

Cylinder 1 was full of water this morning.

So it's now a full on strip down, skim the head & rebuild.

Can wait to spend loads of money 😞 

• Sad 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club