Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2017 Powershift, is it reliable?

Hi all,

Im in a position to buy a car which I would like to use atleast for 5 years or longer and I narrowed down the selection for Ford Mondeo hatchback edition.

Checking the current market for it in Hungary, the difference is small between manual or automatic clutch.

The issue is that I don't really understand much about cars, and as I read Ford some controversy with dry automatic clutches, so I'm wondering does anyone have some experience with the above mentioned?

For example I'm wondering about these two Powershift and manual options:

1. Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Trend 2016/08 116 000 km for around 11 000 €

2. Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium Powershift 2017/04 152 000 km for around 14 000 €

Any suggestions or advices would be much appreciated, thanks.

The DRY Powershift, manufactured by Getrag were used in the lower powered Fords like Fiesta and were the type that cost Ford vaste amount of money in claims, mainly USA where they like autos - this trans is designated the 6DCT250. This trans was also used in some Citroen and Renault smaller engine vehs.

The larger engine Fords like Mondeo and Focus STs use the WET clutch 6DCT450 which is far more reliable. It is also used in numerous Volvo models

To ensure a fairly reliable life time the 6DCT450 must have a transmission oil and filter change every 37,500 miles or 3 years whichever occurs first. If purchasing a used veh you need to see actual invoice proof that this has been done. If no proof highly recommend do not buy vehicle.

Mondeo Mk5 petrol versions use a normal torque converter type trans called the 6F35 mid range manufactured by Ford USA in a joint effort with General Motors.

I could not have put it better than @TrevorB 

If you have Facebook then feel free to join the Mk5 group i admin.

Mondeo group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/?ref=share

@TrevorB I'm just getting those files together for you. 

I have the early Powershift model (2010). I got the car at 45000 miles and was a bit nervous about Powershift reputation. The service book recorded that the oil and filter had been changed at 37500 but not by Ford. I had a trust issue with this so I had Ford carry out the service and I have kept it up to date since. I have had no problems with the Powershift. I like the way that it drives and I am now at 85000 miles. I think that the original problems relate to the dry Powershift gearboxes in the lower power / smaller Fords.

I also have a 2010 power shift car which I bought in 2015 with 79000 on the clock with full service history and a receipt for £1600 for a replacement clutch due to a missed oil and filter change had  the oil and filter changed three years after the clutch replacement even though it only had 13000 miles between the rebuild and the three year time interval. Had it done by my friendly main dealer mechanic for £120 , money well spent me thinks the car now has 92800 on the clock and the box preforms faultlessly. The oil and filter change transforms the box so avoid the 37000 / 3 year service at your peril.