Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight bulb for mk2 2016

Maymod40

I really want to change the bulbs I bought 2 now and they are the wrong ones. One of them LED ones did fit but I could not put the cap back on as the bulb chamber was too small.

1. Are the bulbs H7 bulbs???

2. Is their specific sizes???

I want the xenon look and not the horrible yellow. So what's the best option without messing about. I now looked at these.

Screenshot_20210222-192819_Chrome.jpg

Looks like I am the only one replying in my own topic but haay hoo.... I have now cancelled the philips bulbs as they last 250 hours which is not alot. I kinda need something to last like 2000 hours or a long time.

So if anyone has a good idea of what to get as I wanted better brighter and whiter lights. Please let me know your recommendation if such a thing exists 

Normally when you don’t get a reply, usually means nobody has done this yet or has the info. I can’t help either, my car has the active led’s. 

Anyhow I am updating my thread... i have had a LED conversation done with a controller and it has been fine works well and no errors. Just bare in mind this information which I will copy and paste below.

Brexit 2021 Update

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED Bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED Bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

With no other mention of after-market LEDs in the MOT guidelines, all that is left is for them to check is that the beam pattern is correct and the colour of the light is predominantly white, white with a blue tint or yellow. Any good quality after-market LED Bulbs will meet this criteria.

As long as the beam pattern and the colour of the light is correct – then there is no reason an LED upgrade bulb will fail an MOT.

The conclusion is.... getting a decent pair of led bulbs and trying to get everything into the headlight including the controller or somehow hiding the controller so it's not obvious is the way to go. The MOT inspector could fail you if they want to, so it might be worth just telling them that you had it converted long ago. Their really is not anything to measure the headlights they obviously just test it.

42 minutes ago, Maymod40 said:

Anyhow I am updating my thread... i have had a LED conversation done with a controller and it has been fine works well and no errors. Just bare in mind this information which I will copy and paste below.

Brexit 2021 Update

Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

With no other mention of after-market LEDs in the MOT guidelines, all that is left is for them to check is that the beam pattern is correct and the colour of the light is predominantly white, white with a blue tint or yellow. Any good quality after-market LED bulbs will meet this criteria.

As long as the beam pattern and the colour of the light is correct – then there is no reason an LED upgrade bulb will fail an MOT.

The conclusion is.... getting a decent pair of led bulbs and trying to get everything into the headlight including the controller or somehow hiding the controller so it's not obvious is the way to go. The MOT inspector could fail you if they want to, so it might be worth just telling them that you had it converted long ago. Their really is not anything to measure the headlights they obviously just test it.

There is a peace of equipment that is placed in front of each headlight when an mot is carried out. It measures beam angle and the person carrying out will compare the readings with the sticker on the car. Safest option would be to remove before any mot, so it’s n0t even logged in ant record.  

15 minutes ago, Meta55 said:

There is a peace of equipment that is placed in front of each headlight when an mot is carried out. It measures beam angle and the person carrying out will compare the readings with the sticker on the car. Safest option would be to remove before any mot, so it’s n0t even logged in ant record.  

Ahhh okay I see I just saw the guy look at the front mirror as he rolled it onto the ramp while he tested the lights, so I did not assume anything.

I did tell the guy it came like that and I had bulbs in the car he said its fine and not to worry about it as it tested fine. So I'm guessing as long as the pattern checks out its okay???

That’s good news if they past. Just means you’re not blinding people. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club