Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery charging

Leej73

Hi guys, I have a 2018 focus  1ltr ecoboost stline, I am looking at charging the battery with a Ctec CT5 stop start charger, my question is can I leave the battery connected  without doing it any harm while charging.

Frequently asked questions

1. Can I leave the charger connected to the battery for a long time?

Yes. CTEK chargers are designed to fully charge a battery and then automatically switch over to long term maintenance. Before leaving the charger unattended for a long time, ensure that the battery is fully charged, as indicated by the green LED.

• Like 1

On the CTEK there is a connector in the output leads, and 2 connection options which plug in to the connector. You can either use crocodile clips to connect to the battery terminals/earth point, or attach the provided eyelet type connectors permanently to the battery and just plug the charger into the connector when you need it.

It's all made clear in the instructions. No need to disconnect the battery when charging and as Rick mentions, you can leave the charger on for maintenance for long periods of inactivity (like lockdowns!😀).

If it's the latest family of CTEK chargers the answer to your question is also yes. Best to connect the negative lead from the charger to the battery earth strap where it connects to the car body rather than direct to the battery negative terminal. Connect the leads, switch on the charger, select the programme, watch the lights.

I just plugged in my CTEK MX5 on to the car battery this morning. I fitted the ring connectors to the battery a while ago so whenever it needs a charge I just connect the charger to it, no faffing about with the crocodile clips ( I keep them for charging batteries off the car).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

I just plugged in my CTEK MX5 on to the car battery this morning. I fitted the ring connectors to the battery a while ago so whenever it needs a charge I just connect the charger to it, no faffing about with the crocodile clips ( I keep them for charging batteries off the car).

I own one as well and you have described the best way👍

• Like 1

Anyone find the ringlets are to small?  It’s ok for the positive but I can’t find anywhere on the chassis for the negative. 

Do you think the battery tray holder would be ok? It seems to go to the chassis eventually

3 minutes ago, Paul9619 said:

Anyone find the ringlets are to small?  It’s ok for the positive but I can’t find anywhere on the chassis for the negative. 

Do you think the battery tray holder would be ok? It seems to go to the chassis eventually

Fasten it to the battery negative terminal👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Fasten it to the battery negative terminal👍

I did read that directly to the terminal is not recommended 

Just now, Paul9619 said:

That’s what the eyelets are for👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frembrit said:

It's certainly a convenient way of doing things, but I wouldn't be happy leaving it like that permanently. Just imagine what would happen if that cable developed a fault, which it will, eventually.

2 hours ago, Paul9619 said:

As I understand it, not attaching a lead direct to the negative terminal, is relative when you are using jump-leads to start a car, and is applicable to the car being started.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Waggy said:

It's certainly a convenient way of doing things, but I wouldn't be happy leaving it like that permanently. Just imagine what would happen if that cable developed a fault, which it will, eventually.

Nope perfectly safe.That’s what it’s designed to do on trickle charge.👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waggy said:

As above, perfectly safe. Ring connectors are clamped, the wires are protected and the connector has a cover (for when not in use). Have a similar set up on my motorbike for the last 13 years too, no problems at all.

What kind of fault do you think would develop? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YOG said:

As I understand it, not attaching a lead direct to the negative terminal, is relative when you are using jump-leads to start a car, and is applicable to the car being started.

It's done that way because the final connection will always create some sort of spark, however small. Best that this is as far away from fuel lines and any hydrogen gas given off by the battery. It's unlikely there will be a problem with modern batteries, but you do not want to take that risk!

1 hour ago, Frembrit said:

As above, perfectly safe. Ring connectors are clamped, the wires are protected and the connector has a cover (for when not in use). Have a similar set up on my motorbike for the last 13 years too, no problems at all.

What kind of fault do you think would develop? 

The insulation will be constantly subjected to vibration, chafing and large variations in temperature. Might also get trapped closing the bonnet, or caught while you're doing some other work. There is no protection at all if the cable leads short together. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on permanently, just my own view.

18 minutes ago, Waggy said:

It's done that way because the final connection will always create some sort of spark, however small. Best that this is as far away from fuel lines and any hydrogen gas given off by the battery. It's unlikely there will be a problem with modern batteries, but you do not want to take that risk!

Yes, I already knew that.

14 hours ago, Waggy said:

The insulation will be constantly subjected to vibration, chafing and large variations in temperature. Might also get trapped closing the bonnet, or caught while you're doing some other work. There is no protection at all if the cable leads short together. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on permanently, just my own view.

Hundreds of thousands of these units have been sold with hours and years of use.Safety features are built in, including short circuit proofing.They are safe to leave unattended I’ve seen no feedback to suggest otherwise.Reading your latest post I don’t want the OP and other forum readers thinking these are dangerous, especially now,some of us are trickle charging with these units overnight even if you feel uncomfortable. Always use correctly👍

• Like 3

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying the charger itself is dangerous to use, just the practice of permanently leaving the ring attachment connected to the battery. I have this model of charger myself so am perfectly happy to recommend it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club