Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ST MK8 from Volvo V40 - Advice/opinions

IamDave

Hi guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here! Just looking for some opinions and advice really on my current situation.

So I currently own a 2015 Volvo V40 T4(198ps) and have had this car from new and it’s now 6 years old. It’s barely done 30,000 miles and hasn’t really gone wrong (just a coil spring) and has served me well. I’ve been getting slightly itchy feet lately as the car is getting old and Volvo servicing isn’t cheap (think it was about £250-£300 for a minor service). I’m currently paying £267 a month (took out a loan to pay off PCP) with another 2 years of paying this.

Essentially I’d be looking to change to have something newer with warranty for any faults and ideally cheaper servicing/maintenance and partly just fancy a new toy! I had a fiesta Mk7 zetec S and loved it. The only thing is I still can’t shake the thought that I’m getting too old for such a car (30 next month). It would be a step down in terms of quality which I’d have to get used to but I am by no means bashing the fiesta (partner has an ST-line and I think they’re quite Smart!.

I know that getting a new car will be more expensive per month but the way I’m thinking of it is I’ll be less likely to be hit with a big repair bill if something goes wrong. 

So I guess I’m just looking for some opinions whether you’ve been in a similar situation or not. Also do Ford do service plans for the fiesta ST? 

I probably could’ve worded it all better but look forward to your replies nonetheless!

Cheers

Dave

17 minutes ago, IamDave said:

The only thing is I still can’t shake the thought that I’m getting too old for such a car (30 next month). It would be a step down in terms of quality which I’d have to get used to but I am by no means bashing the fiesta (partner has an ST-line and I think they’re quite Smart!.

Also do Ford do service plans for the fiesta ST? 

I wouldn't worry too much as you're 54 years younger than me and I love my Fiesta.   Ford do do service plans.

• Like 2

The V40 is built off the same platform as the Focus.

I went from a Focus ST Mk3.5 to Fiesta ST Mk8.

There is no denying the Mk8 ST is a cracking car, but I found myself missing the Focus.

The Focus (at least in ST form) is more of a Jekyl and Hide car, the Fiesta can't quite chill out as well when you're not in the mood, like the Focus can.

I guess it depends what you plan to use the car for, and what you expect from it.

Compared to a MK7 ST, the MK8 is considerably easier to live with, but I just missed my Focus. Probably made worse by doing a 4000 mile European road trip in the Fiesta, so it's still pretty livable, just made me want a Focus even more.

• Like 1

Lol, not quite as much experience as Bob but bought my first Fiesta 41 years ago and now on number 5. Had all sorts of stuff in between including SAAB and Audi and don't really feel the Fiesta is that much of a poverty option! It's certainly a lot more fun to drive than a lot of "premium" cars.

I'm in a bit of a Fiesta vs Focus ST dilemma myself at present. I definitely couldn't have lived with the Mk 7 ST, not too sure about the Mk 8 yet, not had a really good drive but still wasn't happy with the seat. Feel the Focus might be easier to get on with (from the point of view of the seat at least) but been prevented from having some decent test drives by this pesky Covid business. Hopefully I'll get down to it in a few months time.

Certainly Ford, as with other manufacturers, will sell you a service plan but I've always preferred "pay as you go" myself.

The only car I've ever been pulled in was a Fiesta ST...  Apparently I 'looked young for the type of car'...at 24 with a receding hairline.  Make of that what you will! :laugh:

The Fiesta is one of those ageless cars though...I mean you can't buy a Colt or a Jazz before getting your pension, and you can't buy a Corsa VXR once you're old enough to drink, but the Fiesta...seems to suit any age!

Anyway, it sounds like you've made up your mind and are now trying to justify it with man maths...I say go for it! :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies so far!

A good point made regarding the focus vs fiesta. This is one thing I do worry about is going from the Volvo is essentially the same as from a focus to the fiesta (also had a focus before the Volvo as you can see!) and not sure how annoying the ride could become but maybe a good excuse to test drive! 

You’ve all given me a little more to think about but after working out the maths I’ll be paying more for a new car - that being said I shouldn’t be hit with a sudden unexpected repair bill should something other than wear and tear happen with a new car and that’s something I’m thinking about.

FWIW, a pal of mine went the other way a year or so ago, moving to a V40 (a T2, so only 122ps I think?), after a string of Fiestas and Focuses. After knowing someone nigh on 50 years you can sense when they're not happy even if nothing's said, and he's started to make enquiries about a Mk 8 Fiesta...............😀

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 4:14 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

FWIW, a pal of mine went the other way a year or so ago, moving to a V40 (a T2, so only 122ps I think?), after a string of Fiestas and Focuses. After knowing someone nigh on 50 years you can sense when they're not happy even if nothing's said, and he's started to make enquiries about a Mk 8 Fiesta...............😀

That’s interesting and barring the power output the same situation....might be me you never know 😂

Well,  well,  hello to you,  the Mk8 fiesta is the same length as the original focus, the ST models are almost too good inside for a hot hatch.  The ride is a bit harsh  for some brit roads, potholes are a pain, which of course is those low profile tyres, because it does speed bumps just fine.  The three cyl engine is a gem, because the bore and stroke of each cylinder is bigger than the outgoing 1600 4cyl model,  you get more torque,  like a small diesel,   it's a joy round town, work run, shopping, but the exhaust  drones a bit on motorway runs.    Obviously quick enough to get you in trouble,   I've done 125 a few times,  but the local lumpy roads get it "dancing"  around,     Mine costs me 360 quid fully comp with protected no claims,  Churchill,  (oh-yess),  and despite intermittent hooligan driving,  returns between 38 and 40 mpg.  You need the performance pack,   just for the quaife diff,   the rest of the pack is not impressive sadly.   You say your not a youngster ?,  so you get three level heated seats and a heated steering wheel,   lovely  !!     The B & O sound system robs the spare wheel space to give you a sub-woofer, I carry a full size matching spare in the back.   Presently on pirrelli winter tyres,  they,  and the lsd (not drugs, might try) make a good effort in the snow. Mines got lane departure wotsit plus other stuff I turn off,  brakes are good, not outstanding. Folding door mirrors are in the 'city pack',   I went to this car from an Audi Q3 quattro as my future retirement car,  I'm seventy in a number of weeks but still working for at least another year,   hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OwdGrumps said:

hope this helps.

Interesting and helpful comments, Michael. How do you actually get on with the drivers seat? As mentioned in my earlier post, this Is the bit that bothers me about the Fiesta ST. I found it rather tight at hip level, and though I've never been called slim, I'm not the biggest chap either!😀

Eric

Further to the comments above by OwdGrumps, I recently purchased a Fiesta ST3 MY 2021, trading in my Focus Vignale. I agree with OwdGrumps on a number of the distinctive attributes of the Fiesta ST, However, there are some changes, if you can afford the ST3 the "Performance Pack" is a standard fit, the B&O subwoofer is now fitted to the side of the boot behind a sidewall, therefore, a spare wheel comes as an option (£180). I have the LED Headlight option fitted which is excellent, one thing to note the ST does not come with Adaptive Cruise Control due to the placement of the intercooler. Go to the Ford website (price list) to compare both models, With regards to the seats I understand your misgivings, I felt the same when I bought my first Focus ST in 2015, I thought then that they were tight and uncomfortable, but after a while i got used to them, so dont let that put you off, the Fiesta seats are very comfortable. I have just turned 71 and althought Covid 19 is restricting driving time I still manage to enjoy my pocket rocket

• Like 1

Thanks for that Danny. I have briefly tried the seats in the Focus 4 and Fiesta 8 STs and found the Focus ones a bit more accomodating. I have had several cars in the past with Recaros and always found them very comfortable so was a bit surprised with the Fiestas. I do prefer the Fiesta size wise however - don't need a bigger car these days, and would have to hope the seats give a bit!😀

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the specs and would probably go for an ST3 for the diff, auto climate, and ability to have a spare. Not worried about adaptive cruise, I rarely get the opportunity to use "normal" cruise anyway!

Hopefully I can do some decent test drives shortly - wanted to have a look at the Hyundai I20N which is due shortly. Tried the Focus-size i30N a while back and was quite impressed, but again, don't really need that size car now.

You are never too old for a Fiesta ST. My wife got her’s new in October and she’s 51.  I tried to persuade to get an ST Line, but the price difference isn’t huge, and her ST3 has the performance pack and lovely alloys. I think the suspension is a little firm for me as an every day car. I used to have an ST2 Focus 2008 with the 5 cylinder Volvo engine and that was an absolute dream to drive and own. Very quick when you needed it, very comfortable when you were just out for a gentle drive and sounded awesome.  Don’t think the ST sounds quite as nice since the Mk3 came out but performance seems great. 

Now then,   is the adaptive cruise the version that let's you set both speed and distance,  and then it auto breaks ?, my st2 has that, never use it though.  I'm a 33" waist and weigh 10.5 stone,  I have no issues with the seats,  I do have a boney little bum though,   I also have the Led h/lamps and would comment that the auto levelling system is super keen to respond and keeps flicking the light up into the eyes of oncoming drivers,  I get flashed quite a bit.  It's good they've sorted the spare wheel issue,  if you go into sport mode using the mapping button,  the exhaust valve opens and the steering response is tightened, it's this steering response that doesn't help on B roads at higher speeds.  Took me a year to learn that if I ignore that performance button and simply turn off the ESC, the car then defaults into sport mode but leaves the exhaust and steering alone, result  !    I re-badged it back and front with Toyota ones to amuse myself. 

20210301_165036.jpg

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

You are never too old for a Fiesta ST. My wife got her’s new in October and she’s 51.

I take it she's not on here to read that! :laugh: 

14 minutes ago, OwdGrumps said:

I'm a 33" waist and weigh 10.5 stone,  I have no issues with the seats

I thought everyone was obese these days!  Can't say I've ever found seats tight myself at 32" waist...I tend to have the opposite problem, too much space between the bolsters!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@OwdGrumps

The adaptive cruise control measures the distance between you and the car in front and if you are set at 60mph and you are gaining on the car in front, it slows you car to match the speed of the car in front, without any intervention by you. If the car in front then speeds up, you will speed up too, up to your preset speed. 

Intelligent cruise control does the above, but also reads speed signs and will slow your car to match the posted limit (or within the tolerance you set), if your chosen speed exceeds that limit. It’s very clever, but a rogue sign on an adjacent road or slip road can be read in error, which can be quite entertaining when you are braked without your wishes to match 30mph when you are in a 70mph zone. Doesn’t happen often though thankfully.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought everyone was obese these days!  Can't say I've ever found seats tight myself at 32" waist...I tend to have the opposite problem, too much space between the bolsters!

Lol I'm only 34" waist myself but as @OwdGrumps suggests, it's the area lower down that causes the problem. And it's not excess flesh either, so I can't do anything about it - must have been born with wide hips!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:45 PM, OwdGrumps said:

Well,  well,  hello to you,  the Mk8 fiesta is the same length as the original focus, the ST models are almost too good inside for a hot hatch.  The ride is a bit harsh  for some brit roads, potholes are a pain, which of course is those low profile tyres, because it does speed bumps just fine.  The three cyl engine is a gem, because the bore and stroke of each cylinder is bigger than the outgoing 1600 4cyl model,  you get more torque,  like a small diesel,   it's a joy round town, work run, shopping, but the exhaust  drones a bit on motorway runs.    Obviously quick enough to get you in trouble,   I've done 125 a few times,  but the local lumpy roads get it "dancing"  around,     Mine costs me 360 quid fully comp with protected no claims,  Churchill,  (oh-yess),  and despite intermittent hooligan driving,  returns between 38 and 40 mpg.  You need the performance pack,   just for the quaife diff,   the rest of the pack is not impressive sadly.   You say your not a youngster ?,  so you get three level heated seats and a heated steering wheel,   lovely  !!     The B & O sound system robs the spare wheel space to give you a sub-woofer, I carry a full size matching spare in the back.   Presently on pirrelli winter tyres,  they,  and the lsd (not drugs, might try) make a good effort in the snow. Mines got lane departure wotsit plus other stuff I turn off,  brakes are good, not outstanding. Folding door mirrors are in the 'city pack',   I went to this car from an Audi Q3 quattro as my future retirement car,  I'm seventy in a number of weeks but still working for at least another year,   hope this helps.

Thanks for this post it’s really helped and pushing me closer to making the switch I must say! I had read about the Quaife differential and think if I’m going to do this I should do it properly! Just doing some more “maths” but I think all in all I’d prefer to get it and not worry about a random expensive repair bill which is the risk I run with the Volvo right now (needs almost £1k spending on it to do brakes & pads, refurb all 4 wheels and have a small dent pulled).

Appreciate all the posts on this you guys have certainly helped!

• Like 2

Just a little update...

I’ve been through carwow and a discussion with a dealer who has given me a very good offer and offered more for my car than I thought. But I’m at a bit of a crossroads with it all really!

She who must be obeyed says no 😂 I think we’re toying with going down to one car and I’m working out what the savings would be and I think that’s where the issue lies. I could save £200 extra a month by not having a car and just chopping into the cost of running hers or just £50 extra a month with a new car. This is on top of what I’m already able to save which is a reasonable amount. I should say money isn’t tight with us but I think we’re looking at plans in the not near but not too distant future.

The other issue is I don’t really do the miles. Last year I did just over 2,000 in total. Now I would say that is partly lockdown but before that I was probably barely reaching 6,000 a year if that. So the car would potentially be say a lot (it’s half a mile each way to work and I usually only drive for night shifts x2 a week) so don’t even really need one for commuting. But all that being said I think I’d still want something I could take for a blast when she’s out visiting mates as I used to love just going for a drive!

A dilemma I guess and I’m sure some may think why are you posting this....I think I’m trying to look for any excuse I can to order 😂

• Haha 2

Nobody can tell you the right answer. Just remember the immortal phrase.... Happy Wife - Happy Life. 

Sometimes what’s good for the heart isn’t good for the head !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Nobody can tell you the right answer. Just remember the immortal phrase.... Happy Wife - Happy Life. 

Sometimes what’s good for the heart isn’t good for the head !!

That might be a very good point! 🤔😂

Well, my Mrs is 100% ok with me getting something for one last blast before we all have to go electric, probably because she can foresee having to listen to me going on about how "I wish I'd done it when I had the chance" for years!😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Well, my Mrs is 100% ok with me getting something for one last blast before we all have to go electric, probably because she can foresee having to listen to me going on about how "I wish I'd done it when I had the chance" for years!😀

I wonder if I could argue the same thing? 🤔

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IamDave said:

I wonder if I could argue the same thing? 🤔

Lol, well the clock is certainly ticking...............!😀

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I didn’t win the debate of getting a new car unfortunately. She made a good point what’s the point in having two fiesta’s (apparently because one is more than than the other isn’t a valid point 🤔). We’ve since been through looking at getting a new house to going back to sticking with where we are for a few years. And with that have gone from selling my car and getting a new one, to selling my car, to not selling my car and back to possibly selling my car and running one.

So maybe in another few years I’ll be back but appreciate all the opinions and advice! I did suggest that a focus ST would be a family car if she wants something bigger 🤔 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club