Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People's opinions on engine tuning?

hilljamie17

What's everyone's opinion on engine tuning? 

Personally I don't like going down that road but wanted to see what everyone's opinions are on it. 

Whenever you take a stock car above the manufacturers limit you're always running that risk of something blowing up. The 1.5 engine in the mk8 ST hasn't been out for very long, so it's hard to say what the long term effects from remapping are. From what I've seen the mk8 ST seems solid enough, and doesn't have a particular weak point like a few other cars (piston 4 on a Corsa VXR, or the ib5 gearbox on a 1.0L fiesta for example). The clutch is probably the first 'major' component that would be on its limit.

• Like 2

I really cannot see the point.   I have had 5 Fiestas and they all did well over 70mph.   What more do you want?

• Like 2

Personally I can “appreciate” someone tuning and modifying their car.

But for me purely on a financial point of view, the amount of money you invest in your car to increase its performance and handling I’m pretty sure if done well you must come close to the manufacturers performance model. So with that in mind and the fact that if you buy “the real deal” you have your warranty intact and no insurance issues I think “tuning” can loose its appeal.

This is from someone who drives a 1.0l Fiesta daily and a BMW M140i for summer weekend use. Both totally as they left the factory, and both really good at what they do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Whenever you take a stock car above the manufacturers limit you're always running that risk of something blowing up. The 1.5 engine in the mk8 ST hasn't been out for very long, so it's hard to say what the long term effects from remapping are. From what I've seen the mk8 ST seems solid enough, and doesn't have a particular weak point like a few other cars (piston 4 on a Corsa VXR, or the ib5 gearbox on a 1.0L fiesta for example). The clutch is probably the first 'major' component that would be on its limit.

Yes that's a good point on the clutch but I also agree on the MK8 fiesta, not many weak points have been seen but another way of seeing it as that nobody knows which weak points are yet to come after remapping. Personally I think that if people want performance, they could just buy a faster car, it seems to be the safest way of the scenario. Tuning in my opinion just seems to be a cheap way of making more performance and that just doesn't seem right in my head, long term wise.

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

I really cannot see the point.   I have had 5 Fiestas and they all did well over 70mph.   What more do you want?

That is a very good and sensible way of seeing it. 👍🏼

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Aldridge Andy said:

Personally I can “appreciate” someone tuning and modifying their car.

But for me purely on a financial point of view, the amount of money you invest in your car to increase its performance and handling I’m pretty sure if done well you must come close to the manufacturers performance model. So with that in mind and the fact that if you buy “the real deal” you have your warranty intact and no insurance issues I think “tuning” can loose its appeal.

This is from someone who drives a 1.0l Fiesta daily and a BMW M140i for summer weekend use. Both totally as they left the factory, and both really good at what they do.

Andy you've got a good point. I agree that it is a lot of money to invest in a car for higher performance. Personally, I don't like the tuning route as I'm currently a student so if components break, I don't really have the money to start paying for repairs. However, the people who tune their cars properly, I have the respect for. When I mean properly I mean not tuning the car to abuse it, and replacing the right components like a strengthened clutch, gearbox, etc. But obviously these parts rank up the final bill, but if someone has the passion for it, I totally respect that. However, when you see kids tuning 1 litres trying to make them as fast as STs isn't right. If they're prepared for future problems then fine but some take it for granted as they think they can just add power and the car can take it, but it's not always the case.

I know people who have tuned 1 litres and they've had gearbox after gearbox break, and they just continue to replace them, whilst the car is tuned! The car is trying to tell them something and they're just not getting the picture. For the money they've spent on new gearboxes they could've probably bought an ST 😂

Never seen the point in trying to tune a Fiesta to get a few more hp out of it to be fair.

A Mercedes AMG yes but a Fiesta, no.

• Haha 1

I think it's more worth it than with a higher powered car.

Say upgrades give you 10%.

On a 200bhp car that will be more noticeable and more usable than on a 400bhp car.

• Like 2

Why can you see the point of tuning a AMG but not a fiesta?

• Like 2

I've mapped pretty much every diesel I've had up until my current 'stopgap' Golf (which I've had nearly 3 years now lol).

Back in the day remaps were cheap and easy to apply yourself with a dodgy laptop and cheap cloned Galletto...  I was paying under £50 for remaps in the early 2010s, on early 2000's cars.  £50 for an extra 30% of power/torque is fantastic value for money imo!!  It's not about top speed at all...I used to cruise at 90mph in a non-turbo diesel 106 (before speed cameras and dashcams), it's purely about the acceleration and the 'rush' that you get from putting the boot in and tearing out of corners.

Sadly my stomach no longer accepts that sort of abuse (it was touch and go back then!) so there's really no point me mapping cars nowadays...however I still wouldn't want any less than 150bhp in a midsized hatch.  As my 155ps MHEV now looks like it won't arrive in time, I've been wondering if there are any maps for the 125ps MHEV yet, as a compromise... :g:

• Like 1

We had our MK3 1.6 diesel remapped from 115bhp to 148bhp and it totally transformed the car. It was smoother through the gears and the fuel gain itself went from and average of 55mpg to 64mpg without trying.

Once the warranty is over in the MK4 and if we still have it then probably will look to have it done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarksST said:

Why can you see the point of tuning a AMG but not a fiesta?

Why bother? Why not just get a higher powered car in the first place.

Most people only tune to give extra power, it seems pointless in a little Fiesta.

13 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I think it's more worth it than with a higher powered car.

Say upgrades give you 10%.

On a 200bhp car that will be more noticeable and more usable than on a 400bhp car.

That's a good point, someone I know had a Golf R and then sold it for a MK8 ST cause he simply couldn't use the power on UK roads, so it was pretty much pointless.

15 minutes ago, Wino said:

We had our MK3 1.6 diesel remapped from 115bhp to 148bhp and it totally transformed the car. It was smoother through the gears and the fuel gain itself went from and average of 55mpg to 64mpg without trying.

Once the warranty is over in the MK4 and if we still have it then probably will look to have it done.

To be fair in terms of tuning, I would trust a diesel more as the engines tend to be a lot stronger so a good tune probably wouldn't affect the longevity but for the turbo petrols I'm not so sure. The 1.6 diesel is a strong engine 👍🏼

3 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Most people only tune to give extra power, it seems pointless in a little Fiesta.

Why does it seem pointless? 

ive tuned my ST to 230hp and it’s still as fun to drive drive as when it was standard, I’ve driven some faster cars, golf R, TT, m135/m140, all with more power, all were less fun once the DSG novelty wore off.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

I agree with your point, in all honesty my black edition I had was tuned but I put it back to stock before I am about to sell it as I didn't do many miles with the tune on it. I wouldn't do it again though you're right, I would rather save up for a higher powered car which has stronger components to withhold the power. When I look back the money I spent on my black edition, I could've saved it and picked up an ST a lot earlier, a mistake I wouldn't make again!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Why does it seem pointless? 

ive tuned my ST to 230hp and it’s still as fun to drive drive as when it was standard, I’ve driven some faster cars, golf R, TT, m135/m140, all with more power, all were less fun once the DSG novelty wore off.

With an ST, I don't think it is pointless, only because there's no other fiesta which is a next step up. However with my black edition, I look back and see how it was pointless of me doing modifications to it when I could've saved my money to buy an ST a lot sooner than what I have done.

• Like 1

It all comes down to personal preference and as always each to their own.

The lad has had had 2 x Astra VXR's both tuned, moved onto Ford's and bought a Focus St3 which again was tuned , sold this and moved onto an AMG C63 which has now been first stage tuned, giving it around 520/540 bhp (don't quote me) and is a NA engine. 

The next stage is around 800 quid for around 80hp increase again or around a mortgage to have a supercharger fitted.

Needless to say the AMG is frighteningly fast but is very happy on UK roads.

The Vxr and St were..... OK but this is a keeper, for now. 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

It all comes down to personal preference and as always each to their own.

The lad has had had 2 x Astra VXR's both tuned, moved onto Ford's and bought a Focus St3 which again was tuned , sold this and moved onto an AMG C63 which has now been first stage tuned, giving it around 520/540 bhp (don't quote me) and is a NA engine. 

The next stage is around 800 quid for around 80hp increase again or around a mortgage to have a supercharger fitted.

Needless to say the AMG is frighteningly fast but is very happy on UK roads.

The Vxr and St were..... OK but this is a keeper, for now. 😁

Not gonna lie, I love an AMG. Definitely want to buy a C43 in the future, yes the power isn't like the 63 but that AWD would make it a weapon for launches. Bit out of my price bracket for now but hopefully in the future I'd be able to buy one 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hilljamie17 said:

Not gonna lie, I love an AMG. Definitely want to buy a C43 in the future, yes the power isn't like the 63 but that AWD would make it a weapon for launches. Bit out of my price bracket for now but hopefully in the future I'd be able to buy one 😂

Haha, yes, I would definitely go for one of those but my budget these days won't allow me..... yet.

Maybe one day, maybe. 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mavroz said:

...moved onto an AMG C63 which has now been first stage tuned, giving it around 520/540 bhp (don't quote me) and is a NA engine. 

The sound of these is amazing, V8 with no turbos to supress the exhaust note...and that crackle on gearshifts!! :biggrin: 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The sound of these is amazing, V8 with no turbos to supress the exhaust note...and that crackle on gearshifts!! :biggrin: 

It is a heavenly sound for sure! I’ve always wanted an E9x M3 for similar reasons, 8500rpm from a 4.0 N/A V8 😍 (and I used to dominate on Need For Speed ProStreet with a red one lol!).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Haha, it is definitely not a car you can use if you are an early morning worker or shift worker! 

It one of those that should be pushed to the end of the road before hitting the ignition.

Thankfully he lives down South and only visits a handful of times a year. 😁

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Haha, it is definitely not a car you can use if you are an early morning worker or shift worker! 

It one of those that should be pushed to the end of the road before hitting the ignition.

Thankfully he lives down South and only visits a handful of times a year. 😁

I'm sure the neighbours love that haha!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club