Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 2014 1.6TDCI P2598

Steevo25

Hi All,

I need a bit of help and advice on my Focus MK3 1.6TDCI Titanium Navigator built July 2014. It has 49,000 miles on the clock.

For about the last week or so I had noticed that acceleration was a bit flat with little power. Occasionally, soon after startup and moving I would get the Engine Malfunction - Please service message. It would clear after a few seconds but still the acceleration was very lack lustre like it was holding back. I tried reading the DTCs with Forscan but there wasn't any. 

Today, I was just about to join the main carriageway of a fairly fast road so I had to put my foot down to try and accelerate fairly quickly to join. Once again, I got the Engine Malfunction message but this time the engine light came on and stayed on. The acceleration really struggles. 

I read the DTCs and the only code I get is on the PCM and it's:

P2598 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Performance - Stuck Low

Can anyone give advice on troubleshooting this code and what it is likely to be. 

When I first started getting the low acceleration, the first thing I did was change the fuel and air filter which made no difference. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Someone did say to me to start by putting a couple of bottles of Forte Diesel Turbo cleaner in the fuel as it had done wonders for them on a previous Turbo problem. I have ordered a couple of bottles but I don't hold much hope as never in the history of me owning cars has any of these cleaning products ever worked. 

Thanks for the information. Funny you should say that as about a week ago I did change the oil and filter. I will have a look and see. 

Is this something that is common on these?

Yes they become hardened with heat and crack/split. 

• Thanks 1

Are they easy to change and accessible. Normally I would have no problem repairing a car but in this cold weather I am debating whether just to give it to a garage to do. 

Thank you for your help. 

It really depends on which one it is some are easy and some are awkward. 

• Thanks 1

Just had a quick look. Whether it is the fault or not, there is a broken pipe right at the top. It's like a whiteish thin plastic pipe which goes in to a short stub of rubber pipe which then goes on to a valve. The plastic has snapped right where it joins the rubber so it is just open with a bit of plastic still inside the rubber section. I can see where the pipe goes down but then disappears. 

So there is definitely a visible fault. I have tried taping it up temporarily. Have not tried the car yet but I doubt I can get a good seal with tape. 

Can you post a picture?  Sounds like it's the one on the vacuum pump.

• Like 1

I have arrowed the pipe. I have put it together with tape temporarily. It connects to the top and then goes under the fuel filter housing. It's snapped where the arrow is.

piped.thumb.jpg.7d4c4e3894102f0bf0966764c4c1698a.jpg

pipe2.thumb.jpg.1730f9196f095ffeeb97cc0f34c1fdc8.jpg

Yes, that's the vacuum pump. 

Because it's vacuum, as opposed to boost, the tape should hold ok as long as it stuck to the surface.

• Thanks 1

Definitely that pipe. Took it for a run and acceleration is now normal. So just got to get that pipe replaced. 

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2