Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Shift Question.

CdSr

So I have the PS in my 2012 Modeo 2:0 ecoboost 240 bhp petrol.

what are the recommendations for putting it in neutral when sat at lights or in traffic? 
would it cause more stress knocking it in and out of gear??

P would be better than N.

I never knocked mine out of gear at the lights unless I was going to be sat for anything over 1 minute. As long as the box is serviced at the recommended intervals then it will be fine.

• Like 1

Absolutely no need to take it out of D. I have a 100 odd page document from Getrag and it describes  why you don't need to and how the trans works.

When your foot is on the brake, throttle position at zero, and the speedo is at zero the trans automatically goes into "neutral" mode, there is no drive etc. Here is an extract out of the manual

Neutral control
This is a function that is activated when the driver stops and the vehicle is stationary, e.g., at a red light.
The TCM disengages the clutches.
The function reduces both fuel consumption and vibrations. When the driver releases the brake, the
clutch torque increases on the clutch for which the gear is engaged, and drive increases.
The following conditions must be met in order for the neutral function to activate:
· gear lever in D or R.
· throttle position 0%
· brake pedal pressed down.
· speed 0 km/h.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to help. The info is straight out of the manufacturers manual. It is not a manual on How To Strip and Rebuild, it is How the Trans Works.

Trust you are aware it is most important to have transmission oil and filter changed every 37,500 miles or 3 years, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor,

yes I am,  it’s got full services history including a box service every 30k or 3 years. Just had it done at £345 😩 my mechanic said the oil was nice and clean when it came out so hopefully good for many miles! I hear they are pretty reliable if well maintained?!?!?

• Like 2

I'll put an auto in P so I don't have to keep pressing the brake down.

7 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I'll put an auto in P so I don't have to keep pressing the brake down.

Doesn't it auto-hold if you release the brake at complete standstill anyway?  Then only pulls away by touching the throttle? 

That's how the DSG worked, but I haven't driven a powershift.

Dunno.  I've probably got some button that does that.

Better to pay the £345 for the gearbox service than have a bill for £1600 for a replacement clutch which was still under warranty that I got with my car when I bought it all because someone missed a oil and filter change. From the clutch replacement to the 3 year interval the car only did 13000 miles but still had the oil and filter done , better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Dunno.  I've probably got some button that does that.

Shouldn't need to press a button.  All the Mk4s have EPB & auto hold afaik?  So just hold the brake until stationary, watch for auto hold light coming on, then you should be able to release the brake without selecting P or N.

Mk4 Mondeo's do not have EPBs or a auto hold light. They do have Hill Start Assist though. I have never seen it as a problem - as soon as you release any pressure off the brake pedal the clutch (powershift models) is "on/in" and in that milli second your foot is on the throttle

• Like 1

Don't use the AH on mine, I've never got on with it in the past, because of the delay in setting off.

2 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Mk4 Mondeo's do not have EPBs or a auto hold light. They do have Hill Start Assist though. I have never seen it as a problem - as soon as you release any pressure off the brake pedal the clutch (powershift models) is "on/in" and in that milli second your foot is on the throttle

Guy has a Mk4 Focus which I was referring to.  Confusing within a Mondeo thread, I accept! :whistling:

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Don't use the AH on mine, I've never got on with it in the past, because of the delay in setting off.

Ah ok, it's not going to work if you're disabling the AH.  The issue with using P at lights is if you get rear ended.  Even if it's only a light bump there's a chance of gearbox damage.  Hopefully it's a fairly low risk, especially with so many cars having auto city-stop nowadays.

Each of us drives how they prefer. I just can't be bothered to engage P, or even just slip it forward to N, especially knowing that staying in D has absolutely no adverse effect on the Getrag Powershift. I certainly would not put it in P and take my foot off the brake if I was on an incline - more possibility of damage to internal P mechanism. Again using HB creates even more work - so I will just hold it on the brake pedal whilst in D and drive the guy behind mad with my brake lights all lit up!!!!!!!

"so many cars having auto city-stop nowadays"- never, they don't even make 0.00000000000000000000001%. I also have access to three top insurers claim stats and percentage of rear end shunts has not dropped one inkling difference over the last 10 years

5 minutes ago, TrevorB said:

Each of us drives how they prefer. I just can't be bothered to engage P, or even just slip it forward to N, especially knowing that staying in D has absolutely no adverse effect on the Getrag Powershift. I certainly would not put it in P and take my foot off the brake if I was on an incline - more possibility of damage to internal P mechanism. Again using HB creates even more work - so I will just hold it on the brake pedal whilst in D and drive the guy behind mad with my brake lights all lit up!!!!!!!

"so many cars having auto city-stop nowadays"- never, they don't even make 0.00000000000000000000001%. I also have access to three top insurers claim stats and percentage of rear end shunts has not dropped one inkling difference over the last 10 years

All the (midsized) new cars I've looked at recently have auto city stop under various names.  Just the Golfs and Focus's alone must make up a notable percentage...

If the amount of rear end impacts hasn't increased at the same rate as the amount of cars on the road, surely that suggests it must be working. :g:  

• Like 1

How fast does the AH release on the Mondeo when you want to set off?  I've found in previous cars it can be slow and clunky to let go.

Hi Tom, the amount of vehs that have auto city stop compared to those that don't is zilch per cent mister, but of course looking at the amount of posts you make clearly defines that you dont like to give up on the losing side. I didn't say numbers regarding rear end shunts, I said percentage's so your comments don't stand.

Never the less, I couldn't give a dam, I have answered the OPs question correctly, which is all that matters, and which you couldn't, but only pass an opinion, which again is misleading to people who don't know, so I am out of it now, goodnight

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club