Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 - Rear Bumper Support- What Rivets?

Schmill

Anyone by any chance know what size rivets you need to use to refit the rear bumper supports on a 2012, 5door ford focus?

Thanks!

ugh, I just looked again.
I've never done riveting, but it looks like I'd need to get the rivet tool inside the bodywork, and the head of the rivet is on the outside?

If so I don't see how I'll get the tool into the inside of the bodywork, so maybe this is a non-starter...

And if they are anything like the rivets for a 2007 Fiesta rear bumper, you will need a lazy tongs....

The blind rivets are installed from the outside.

The original blind rivers are 4,8 mm x 12 mm but from experience I can tell that 5 mm x 12 mm also fits fine.

• Thanks 1

Cheers, gone for some 4.8mm x 12mm "dome head" rivets (look like they should be the same thing as "blind") and a cheap tool.

Will see how I get on :thumbsup:

I assume these will be suitable?

16152093417205496333185948347577.thumb.jpg.ef2d63ba2d70415e51a72427221a043d.jpg

I don't know what the "grip range" means?

I think It is to do with the total thickness of the items you are trying to rivet together.

Less than 5mm, the holding flange you are trying to form may be misshapen, and more than 7mm the flange might be too small.

Where the original rivets steel or aluminium ?

Ok cheers.

I have no idea on the original material, they are still in the car.

I'm purely going on the information here so that I can drill them out, cleanup the bodywork and refit it.

IMG_20210307_180355340.thumb.jpg.997816e65188b4d4ef05ed90595e09e5.jpg

I bought the Ford rivets for the Fiesta rear bumper, as they are black with a black washer to protect the plastic bumper, and they were difficult, and I ended up borrowing a "lazy tongs" to finally fit them.  I think they were steel.  I had the bumper off to fit reversing sensors.

A good place to look for info on sizes on fixtures it the Ford Catcar pages.  You can drill down through all the models, then the parts, then find the item you want, and it will tell you the sizes.  The Diagrams can also help when trying to take something to pieces !

Ford - Catcar.info

• Thanks 1

That's great, thanks @Paulkp - I don't know how I'd never seen the Catcar before, looks like it will be a really useful resource!

Now to see if I can find this clip anywhere! (HM1 / 7100200)
image.thumb.png.ae52ab444fe74383c2b0d3cc0992b6e6.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to stop back and say thanks to all above; great information and gave me the ability to remove and replace the rivets ; although removal was "tricky" as the rivets tended to want to slip & rotate rather than have their heads drilled off - not good for the plastic! All done & refitted though 👍🏻

Glad all sorted, enjoy the rest of Easter !

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club