Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with new fiesta mk8.

tomm12

I’ve just got a fiesta st line edition 125bhp 2021 reg (I think it was built in December though) and have a few questions about settings.

I can’t find a setting for hill start assist anywhere. Does the fiesta have this?

I can find setting for auto unlock but not autolock i.e lock when reach 5mph.

When I let off the accelerator to coast it feels like the brakes are being applied and I slow down too much. I think this might be the mild hybrid bit ?? Is there anyway to change this so it’s not so forceful?

thank you 

have you looked at vehicle settings in the sync infotainment system?

It does have hill start assist which can be switched on/off in vehicle settings. Covered in the owners handbook.

Unless things have changed recently there is no autolock at a set speed. You have to do it yourself  using the locking button on the driver's door.

Not got a hybrid but I understand the braking effect is most noticeable in sport mode, less so in other driving modes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb_engineer said:

have you looked at vehicle settings in the sync infotainment system?

Yes there nothing in there about it 

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It does have hill start assist which can be switched on/off in vehicle settings. Covered in the owners handbook.

Unless things have changed recently there is no autolock at a set speed. You have to do it yourself  using the locking button on the driver's door.

Not got a hybrid but I understand the braking effect is most noticeable in sport mode, less so in other driving modes.

I’ll have to have a look in the setting again, when I was looking earlier I couldn’t see anything about hill start assit 

9 hours ago, tomm12 said:

I can’t find a setting for hill start assist anywhere. Does the fiesta have this?

Hi, Hill start assist is defaulted to ON. You have to manually turn it off in the vehicle settings in the cluster.

I can find setting for auto unlock but not autolock i.e lock when reach 5mph.

You can only activate this function with a suitable OBD lead and a program like Forscan

When I let off the accelerator to coast it feels like the brakes are being applied and I slow down too much. I think this might be the mild hybrid bit ??

Yes it is,

is how the system recharges the MHEV battery

Is there anyway to change this so it’s not so forceful?

No, but it might not be as aggressive in Sport mode

• Like 1

Are you looking in the right place ? 

It's not in the ipad on the dash its via the screen in front of you which is accessed by the tabs on the steering wheel.

Press the hamburger and use the arrow function the toggle through the options on the screen. It should be under driver aid / assistance, tick the box and exit. 

Comments here about the "braking effect" on regen:

Generally, a good place to check what your new car should  have is the Price List/Ordering guide which you may have looked at before buying, but is downloadable from the Ford website.

The handbook (hard copy or, again, online) is a pretty good guide. The online version has the advantage of being searchable. 

Things are not always where you might expect though, so most of us end up on here at some point!😀

Couple of pics - vehicle info is displayed between the instruments, toggle through the various screens with the steering wheel controls.

IMG_20190724_184406.jpg

IMG_20180616_140225.jpg

14 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I’ll have to have a look in the setting again, when I was looking earlier I couldn’t see anything about hill start assit 

B448076D-3F43-4515-B645-2C98929E50C9.jpeg

3AE9213D-65BD-4BD0-BFEB-8D6DD2E9980F.jpeg

9071EDA1-041D-4E2F-98F5-F7ED8EEA3615.jpeg

21D749AD-0600-44D6-B013-6F5EA1ED3794.jpeg

1 hour ago, tomm12 said:

Sorry about the rubbish snap, but here it is on mine. Always possible that they've removed the option to turn it off, I suppose, although the online manual for 2021 models says you can (unless it's an automatic), extract below:

"Switching the System On and Off
Vehicles with Manual Transmission
 You can switch this feature on or off in the information display. The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle.
Vehicles with Automatic Transmission
The system turns on when you switch the ignition on and you cannot switch the system off. "

I assume you've scrolled all the way through the "Driver Assist" options.

IMG_20210309_144344_hdr.jpg

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, tomm12 said:

I haven’t got that in the options 

Unless they've hidden it elsewhere I wonder if they have removed the option to switch it off from the very latest spec? This is the way things are going.

Tbh I've never felt the need to switch it off in any car I've had with this feature - but it is nice to have the choice!

Not many Fiesta MHEV owners on here yet, I wonder if anyone else has found this?

• Like 1

Do the brakes engage when you press the pedal firmly on a hill? As Eric says, they might have removed the option, which would be odd. But also it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a factory build come without a feature activated. I guess last check would be have the dealer check it out with the Ford software to see if it is disabled and needs re enabling?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nismex said:

But also it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a factory build come without a feature activated. 

That's a point. Easiest way to check if the feature is present and correct is to test it out on a slope and see if it holds after releasing the foot brake (provided all clear behind of course!). Mine operates on my gently sloping driveway so no need to look for a steep hill!😀

• Like 1

Let's not forget that " Hill start assist" is not the same as "Auto Hold" 🤔

• Like 3

There has only been one time where I have used/noticed hill hold/start. This was stopping on a down (exit) ramp of a Multi-story car park. I was quite impress how it held. It might happen many other times, but I just don't notice it happening. It's a feature that I'm not too bothered about anyway.

Never needed hsa in any manual car I've had.

4 hours ago, Nismex said:

Do the brakes engage when you press the pedal firmly on a hill? As Eric says, they might have removed the option, which would be odd. But also it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a factory build come without a feature activated. I guess last check would be have the dealer check it out with the Ford software to see if it is disabled and needs re enabling?

I’ve tried that and it just rolls back 😞

11 hours ago, tomm12 said:

I’ve tried that and it just rolls back 😞

HSA is intended to hold the car for a few seconds only, just enough time to get your right foot off the brake and onto the accelerator when setting off after briefly pausing on a slope.

Bring the car to a halt, pressing firmly on the brake, to activate. When you take your foot off the brake it should hold for a few seconds before the car rolls back. If it does that, it's operating ok, if not, It's looking like contacting your dealer.

Has anyone tried using clutch control?  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

if your fiesta is equipped with an automatic gearbox then the hill start assist is always on by default and you can't turn it off, you will find nothing in the menu to turn it off, it can be turned off only on the ones with manual gearbox 🙂 

Am guessing it is possible that hill start assist isn't standard on ST Lines these days...? When it comes to spec, the Ford giveth,  and the Ford taketh away...😉

Also Roger,  that instrument panel pic from Tuesday  - are you getting 52.5mpg as a long-term average? Sorry bit off-topic...

2 hours ago, wordchild said:

Also Roger,  that instrument panel pic from Tuesday  - are you getting 52.5mpg as a long-term average? Sorry bit off-topic...

Lol, unfortunately not! Took the pic a year or so back when I was just glancing at the display (when parked!) and saw that the mpg since last fill up exactly coincided with the miles since last fill up, which seemed noteworthy! I do get a figure like that when doing a decent run though, but my overall average over 3 years is about 45. 

Specs from Ford show that on basic model upwards, Fiestas are equipped with ESP with Hill Start Assist.

If I get chance, I will have a look at the wife's car but at this time I am guessing that Ford have removed the option to enable or disable this feature.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club