Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ramps suitable for Mk8 ST3?

Gaz1000SX

Anybody used ramps for DIY work at home? I'm thinking of fitting an upgraded rear engine torque mount which looks very simple fit with two bolts. Just wondering if anyone can recommend suitable ramps for the ST3? Cheers.

In my experience anything with low suspension struggles to get on them without scraping the bumper. I've made a makeshift ramp out of wood in the past to lead onto the proper one, but it was more hassle than it was worth so I just use a trolley jack and stands now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

In my experience anything with low suspension struggles to get on them without scraping the bumper. I've made a makeshift ramp out of wood in the past to lead onto the proper one, but it was more hassle than it was worth so I just use a trolley jack and stands now.

Hi Luke. I have a trolley jack. Where do you recommend positioning it?

I have some wooden ramps a la Luke that I made up about 30 years ago to lift up a Capri 2.8i and still used but also use jack and stands.

Vehicle handbook should tell you, (is it a useful book, or a silly pdf ?)

4 hours ago, Gaz1000SX said:

Hi Luke. I have a trolley jack. Where do you recommend positioning it?

At the trolley jack points! No doubt the placement of them will be in the hand book, or if you know anyone with a lift or pit ? Then those two options are the safest.

I used to have standard steel ramps but with our Fiesta there was no way they could be used, but like Luke says a wood ramp placed in front of standard ramps can help, but remember the car is front wheel drive, so any wood ramp is dangerous, can be flirted out like a projectile, so the wood pieces need to lock into the steel steps, there are resin low profile ramps knocking about these days, ideal for cars with low valances.

26 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

At the trolley jack points! No doubt the placement of them will be in the hand book, or if you know anyone with a lift or pit ? Then those two options are the safest.

Ford do not specify nor recommend a jack for the Mk8 ST3. I suspect this is because the side skirts no longer have removable cut-outs to expose a sill for jacking location as they did on the Mk7 . For the same reason they do not recommend a space saver wheel nor tool kit (believe me I've tried). The handbook only recommends jacking points for a four post garage ramp. I was simply asking if anyone can point me to where I would look for with a trolley jack, rather than just using trial and error and possibly damaging something. Having said all this I'm probably not going to spend enough time under the car doing jobs so I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the engine torque bracket fitted at a garage. Luckily I have a Revo approved garage about half an hour from me so I'll see what they say.

• Like 1

Quote from a local Revo recommended garage today for fitting the Revo torque rear engine mount £30 labour. Booked in for Tuesday! I'll report back on results after fitting.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club