Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fog lights/Driving lights

Si-IOM

Hello girls and guys,

quick question... is there a way to stop the fog lights coming on every time you turn the wheel etc?  Please don’t say ‘take the bulbs out’.

why? I hear you ask? Because it drives me mad when people say, ‘you have a light out’.

I know exactly what you mean. It's a stupid idea and for some reason when watching a car driving towards you with one light on the other off, it seems to attract my attention to the side with the light off!

A long time ago, possibly back in the 1970's the Department Of Transport as it was then made it illegal to have only one fog light / driving light fitted to the front of a car. The option they gave was either fit two lights or remove the one. They also went on to say that forward facing Fog lamps and or driving lamps could only be mounted in pairs and that they must always be wired in such away that that they would be switched on together.

I'm sure that any MOT testers here will confirm that is still the case, so to be honest I don't know how manufactures are being allowed to switch these lights on and off independantly of each other. I can only assume that there has been an amendment to the rules on front fog lights.

I do hope some one has an easy answer to the problem.

I have considered runing a wire from one fog lamp to the other so they can only operate together. It will not stop them coming on when you turn the wheel but at least they will both be on, not ideal but in my mind better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

I know exactly what you mean. It's a stupid idea and for some reason when watching a car driving towards you with one light on the other off, it seems to attract my attention to the side with the light off!

A long time ago, possibly back in the 1970's the Department Of Transport as it was then made it illegal to have only one fog light / driving light fitted to the front of a car. The option they gave was either fit two lights or remove the one. They also went on to say that forward facing Fog lamps and or driving lamps could only be mounted in pairs and that they must always be wired in such away that that they would be switched on together.

I'm sure that any MOT testers here will confirm that is still the case, so to be honest I don't know how manufactures are being allowed to switch these lights on and off independantly of each other. I can only assume that there has been an amendment to the rules on front fog lights.

I do hope some one has an easy answer to the problem.

I have considered runing a wire from one fog lamp to the other so they can only operate together. It will not stop them coming on when you turn the wheel but at least they will both be on, not ideal but in my mind better.

I’m in the Isle of Man and we don’t have MOT compliance. I just want the lights on or off!! Haha

If you switch your front fogs/ driving lights on at the switch, does one still only illuminate when you turn? I use mine regularly as the standard Halogen lights are lets say not very good on dark country lanes and haven't noticed if one turns off as and when I turn a corner or bend. 

31 minutes ago, Wino said:

If you switch your front fogs/ driving lights on at the switch, does one still only illuminate when you turn? I use mine regularly as the standard Halogen lights are lets say not very good on dark country lanes and haven't noticed if one turns off as and when I turn a corner or bend. 

See my post on autobeam lights, mate. 

Just now, Si-IOM said:

See my post on autobeam lights, mate. 

Autobeam.co.uk H7 and H1 led conversion is a game changer.

11 hours ago, Si-IOM said:

Autobeam.co.uk H7 and H1 led conversion is a game changer.

Thanks for the link. Had a look and it seems the bulbs are no more different than the H7's that are available at your local Halfords or similar. Reading the reviews and the "What's in the box info " they also state that these might not be a straight swap and some splicing or alteration to fitments and wiring may be required. So not guaranteed to be a straight swap.

The idea of having a foglight illuminate with a small steering input is completely flawed (and is an indication that modern headlights are rubbish ?).

Coupled with a reluctance to use indicators by some drivers, at a crossroads on a bend near me, a single foglight that comes on because of the bend can easily be misinterpreted as an intention to take the side road.

As for lights in general, indicators have now become invisible as they are hidden by overbright headlights and brake lights, and as for DRLs (Fairy Lights) that dazzle in daylight.........

As you can gather, I am an old fogey......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Thanks for the link. Had a look and it seems the bulbs are no more different than the H7's that are available at your local Halfords or similar. Reading the reviews and the "What's in the box info " they also state that these might not be a straight swap and some splicing or alteration to fitments and wiring may be required. So not guaranteed to be a straight swap.

Honestly, it’s the easiest install ever.  The splicing is a crimp, the wiring change is literally plugging the new cable in to the original carrier. That’s it!!!

all you have to do is take out the headlight unit which on a mk8 is literally two screws and a clip!!

4 hours ago, Paulkp said:

The idea of having a foglight illuminate with a small steering input is completely flawed (and is an indication that modern headlights are rubbish ?).

Coupled with a reluctance to use indicators by some drivers, at a crossroads on a bend near me, a single foglight that comes on because of the bend can easily be misinterpreted as an intention to take the side road.

As for lights in general, indicators have now become invisible as they are hidden by overbright headlights and brake lights, and as for DRLs (Fairy Lights) that dazzle in daylight.........

As you can gather, I am an old fogey......

Gathered, and agreed pal. DRL lights look cool and are aesthetically pleasing, but, having been on the receiving end of them blinding you on your daily drive, they aren’t exactly road use friendly. I am currently doing my IAM Advanced course and the school of thought seems to be that illumination of any degree is better than none. Rule 113-115 of the HWC is all about bulbs (I think - from memory) and lighting. Interesting read if you’re boring like me!!

• Like 1

Cornering lights are a perfect example of a solution for which there never was a problem.

IMO led headlights are unneccesarily bright.

• Like 2

and I still don't understand how vehicle manufactures are being allowed by the Department For Transport to sell vehicles with front lights, be it Fog, Spot, Driving, Head,or DRL that can be operated independantly of its matched pair.

Lighting regulations 1989 states that lights have to be in pairs and connected to operate together.

I'm 99.9999999% certain if 'Boy Racer' took his car out with '3 front driving ligths' fitted and each of them wired that they could be turned on individualy then he could be pulled over and booked by the local traffic police,

Also much as I quite like sequential indicators and see no harm in them, unless UK vehicle lighting regulations have recently been amended, they are not allowed. If you import and American built Mustang with sequential rear indicators they still have to be rewired to all operate at the same time before type approval will be granted for the import.

• Like 2

Sequential shows less light per second than normal on/off.

Another gimmick.

12 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Sequential shows less light per second than normal on/off.

Another gimmick.

Is that so? They always seem to be more eye catching though?

1 hour ago, Si-IOM said:

Is that so? They always seem to be more eye catching though?

You mean irritating ??!!!!

Especially when the white DRLs are extinguished, and replaced by sequential amber, and I prefer noticeable, rather than eyecatching.  I also have an issue with the viewing angle of the indicators and my perception is that has reduced.

What is the cost/benefit analysis for one of those arrays compared to a 5W bulb ?  In a few years time, a DRL failure might write off you car.  Some new Headlamp units are already >£1000 (and a some door mirrors >£1500!).

Bring back incandescent !  

As I Said " I am an old fogey......"

(I bet you wish you had not started me off with this thread !)

8 minutes ago, Paulkp said:

You mean irritating ??!!!!

Especially when the white DRLs are extinguished, and replaced by sequential amber, and I prefer noticeable, rather than eye catching.  I also have an issue with the viewing angle of the indicators and my perception is that has reduced.

What is the cost/benefit analysis for one of those arrays compared to a 5W bulb ?  In a few years time, a DRL failure might write off you car.  Some new Headlamp units are already >£1000 (and a some door mirrors >£1500!).

Bring back incandescent !  

As I Said " I am an old fogey......"

(I bet you wish you had not started me off with this thread !)

Its nice to have a decent discussion!  I have my opinions too - one of the things I liked about my car was the DRL's but I am not on the receiving end of them coming towards me. I should imagine that they are dazzling in some situations.

My previous car was an Renault Sport and the lights were less than abysmal. If I wanted to see something more than 20 feet away from me, I had to turn on the full beam. I had changed the bulbs, cleaned the lamp surrounds as well etc.  

Basically, there does not seem to be an industry standard across the board, does there? Lens lines and wattage/K distribution are seemingly only taken as a guide??

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club