Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car :)

GingeSylo

Morning All, 

Picked up my Fiesta yesterday 67 plate but new interior etc. 

2 things I have noticed: 

1) Temp gauge needle sits slightly off to the left, gauge doesn't move when I put the heating on full whack so I don't think it's a cooling system issue? 

Just wondered if anyone had experienced this? 

2) there is a very slight intermittent clunk or knock when manoeuvring at low speeds, moving and braking

No clunks over bumps though. 

Other than that I love the car. 

I'm looking at taking out a warranty wise policy for it, it's £28 a month and covers literally everything. 

TIA 

Hi Nathan,

1. Temp gauge issue seems to be normal - mine has done this from new, many others have reported the same.

2. Several threads on "clunks and knocks" on here. Seemed to be a common issue though I've not experienced it personally.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi Nathan,

1. Temp gauge issue seems to be normal - mine has done this from new, many others have reported the same.

2. Several threads on "clunks and knocks" on here. Seemed to be a common issue though I've not experienced it personally.

Thanks for your reply. 

I think I'm just going to monitor the knock and see how it goes. 

You need to get the car on stands and have a feel around to see what's causing the clunking/knocking. It could be any joint/bushing from what you've described lol.

Or take it back to the garage you bought it from, it should be their problem really.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a warranty policy. Just put that £30 a month into a separate bank account and it will cover the cost of repairs. A nearly 4 year old car shouldn't have too much going wrong with it anyway, and you can pretty much guarantee it's not going to cost you £350 this year in repairs.

Once the car gets a few years older, the warranty cover will gradually cover less things, and nearly double in price. You're then paying £600 a year for something that only covers up to £1000 in repairs.

• Like 3

Yes, as Luke suggests, I'd be inclined to raise it with the seller in the first instance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

You need to get the car on stands and have a feel around to see what's causing the clunking/knocking. It could be any joint/bushing from what you've described lol.

Or take it back to the garage you bought it from, it should be their problem really.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a warranty policy. Just put that £30 a month into a separate bank account and it will cover the cost of repairs. A nearly 4 year old car shouldn't have too much going wrong with it anyway, and you can pretty much guarantee it's not going to cost you £350 this year in repairs.

Once the car gets a few years older, the warranty cover will gradually cover less things, and nearly double in price. You're then paying £600 a year for something that only covers up to £1000 in repairs.

Thank you for the info 🙂 

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, as Luke suggests, I'd be inclined to raise it with the seller in the first instance.

The 3 month warranty that the dealer gave only covers engine and gearbox.

16 minutes ago, GingeSylo said:

However the month long warranty you get by law covers that it is not fit for purpose. A car that's a couple years old shouldn't have a knocking noise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GingeSylo said:

You should still be able to raise it under consumer rights legislation, have a look here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/problems-used-car/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

However the month long warranty you get by law covers that it is not fit for purpose. A car that's a couple years old shouldn't have a knocking noise.

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You should still be able to raise it under consumer rights legislation, have a look here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/problems-used-car/

Thank you both. 

I have sent the dealer an email so they have it in writing, lets see what they say, I'm hoping I don't have to chase them. 

1 hour ago, GingeSylo said:

I'm looking at taking out a warranty wise policy for it, it's £28 a month and covers literally everything. 

Be cheaper, in the long run, to buy a 3 year warranty from Ford.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobr said:

Be cheaper, in the long run, to buy a 3 year warranty from Ford.

Thank you. 

I thought you could only buy Ford's extended warranty before the main warranty ran out? 

4 hours ago, GingeSylo said:

Morning All, 

2 things I have noticed: 

1) Temp gauge needle sits slightly off to the left, gauge doesn't move when I put the heating on full whack so I don't think it's a cooling system issue? 

2) there is a very slight intermittent clunk or knock when manoeuvring at low speeds, moving and braking

TIA 

I took out a warrantywise policy when I bought mine and within a month I had to have the transmission looked at (it was jerking around and driving me crazy) and it would have cost me 1500ish£.

So far warrantywise has covered, new brakes (discs, pads and shoes for the rear) full service (5 year) and a new clutch. They've already paid out more than I paid for the warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GingeSylo said:

I thought you could only buy Ford's extended warranty before the main warranty ran out? 

Mine's a 17 plate and I've just bought a 3 year warranty from Ford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingeSylo said:

Morning All, 

2 things I have noticed: 

TIA 

Dont forget to budget for an annual service -(don't skimp on servicing), i do mine with the MOT then they can fix minor any faults in with the service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runamonk said:

I took out a warrantywise policy when I bought mine and within a month I had to have the transmission looked at (it was jerking around and driving me crazy) and it would have cost me 1500ish£.

So far warrantywise has covered, new brakes (discs, pads and shoes for the rear) full service (5 year) and a new clutch. They've already paid out more than I paid for the warranty.

I'm very tempted with the WarrantyWise one, works out at £28 a month for cover on everything except wiring.. that's the only thing I'm bothered about. 

I know how expensive Auto electricians and wiring faults can be. 

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

Mine's a 17 plate and I've just bought a 3 year warranty from Ford.

I checked and Ford Protect states you must have a VAT invoice for your servicing else a claim will be rejected. 

18 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Dont forget to budget for an annual service -(don't skimp on servicing), i do mine with the MOT then they can fix minor any faults in with the service.

It was serviced by the seller just before I bought it. Apparently they're waiting for the other service history to come from Ford, got it in writing so if it doesn't materialise I'll be taking it further. 

£28 per month !!!!! or £336 a year of if you keep the car for 3 years that would be £1008, just how many problems are you expecting on a 67 plate car?

Remember that it will not cover failure of parts deemed by them to be normal wear and tear.

Put the money in the bank or under the mattress (you will get better intrest from the bed!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingeSylo said:

I checked and Ford Protect states you must have a VAT invoice for your servicing else a claim will be rejected. 

Warrantywise make the same stipulation unless you can prove servicing has been done by, eg,  a computerised service record or service book fully stamped by a franchise dealer or approved repairer. I'd be surprised if all warranty providers don't say something similar.

• Like 1

I wasn't asked for any proof of servicing when I had my repairs done; although I suspect that might because my model with the dual clutch had known issues confirmed by the dealer and there wouldn't have been a service to effect it? I do believe they could ask for proof of services though; I seem to require seeing that in the handbook. I don't know about the wiring requirement; it wasn't something I was concerned about. Mainly I was worried about the clutch going out because this gearbox isn't fantastic hehe. Although it's been pretty good since I had the replacement done.

The way it works with warrantywise is the place you take it to has to send in the request to them. They do it all online. They then either approve or deny it; they ask how you want it paid, they can send you the funds or send the funds directly to the mechanic. They send you confirmation to approve or deny it and then it gets done.

So far it's worked without a hitch; it does add a day or so to the overall process waiting for approval and such. My service took a week anyhow because the dealer had to schedule it out for a basically two days of servicing and it took them ages to get the parts in etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GingeSylo said:

That wouldn't worry me as I have my service and MOT done by the Ford dealer I bought the car from.

• Like 1

Thank you for your continued help guys. 

I've been called by the dealer to say they can't find the service history, but apparently once I have the new V5 I can call any Ford dealer and request the service history with the V5 document reference number? 

Am I being fobbed off? 

I know for a fact the auto trader listing mentioned 3 services having being done on the vehicle. The advert has now gone.... I've emailed auto trader asking if they can send me a copy of the description from the advert. 

I'm starting to think I've bought a lemon lol 

Not the best time as money is tight for me and the mrs.  

Do you have the FordPass app?  If it was serviced at Ford, the services will show within the app.  If it wasn't serviced at Ford, the dealership won't know anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have the FordPass app?  If it was serviced at Ford, the services will show within the app.  If it wasn't serviced at Ford, the dealership won't know anyway.

What is the fordpass app?

So about this lemon ......... I would say "Yes" you are being fobbed off. Ford dealers do not have access to details at DVLA other than what they need to register vehicles. The V5c reference number means no more to a Ford dealer than it does to you and I. What the Ford motor company and Ford dealers operate on is the VIN number since that never changes and is totally unique to the vehicle. Ford of course may well have an electronic/online history of services that you car has had but only if the services were carried out at a Ford main dealer, if the car was serviced by Fred in his Shed then Ford will not know about it and for that matter it will not count.

service books with garage stamps in them were so much easier, no bull, just yes its been serviced or no it has not.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GingeSylo said:

What is the fordpass app?

It's a smartphone app for Fords.  Shows service history amongst other things.  You just need your VIN to set it up.

• Like 2