Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Know How Often The Mk4 Fob Battery Needs Replacing?

CallMeSteven
聽Share

I bought my Focus in December 2019 (seems ages ago聽馃榾). The first main service is due in December, but I may get in done聽around early

November.

Just asking now as it's on my mind, are the fob batteries changed every service ?聽

Many thanks

Normally last a year then you'll need to fit a new one in. Doubt the dealer will do that as part of the service for you.

@Amdyr55 Many thanks, I thought that was the case. I will get the fob battery changed, plus the spare. After 14 months both fobs are working fine, but better be on the safe side.

Mine lasted over three years on my mk3.5.

You will get a low battery message on the vehicle display when it needs changing.

• Like 3

@jeff-d I presume the battery cannot be changed yourself as the fob would need re-programmed? (That was why I thought

that as the service is two yearly, it would be wiser to get it changed then)

Takes a couple of minutes to change the battery yourself if you follow handbook instructions no programming required. Taking it to a dealer just lets them overcharge for a battery and labour unless your lucky

• Like 2

Had my car for 3 years and 46k miles just changed the battery as the low battery warning came on 拢2 and 5 mins both fobs done.

• Like 2

Found a video on Youtube, looks very easy聽

Yes, it's that easy. One additional thing that you can do whilst it's apart is to ensure that the battery contacts are clean. I also avoid touching the battery with greasy fingers.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Message just came up in my dash, so will be changing the battery when I get around to getting one.聽 How long do I have after the message first comes up?聽 Also is it definitely a CR2032 as the YouTube videos say?

Never had to change the one in my Mk2 keyfob in 12 years, there's progress for you!

2 hours ago, south_bound said:

Never had to change the one in my Mk2 keyfob in 12 years, there's progress for you!

Newer technology isn't necessarily better, just look at 'battery' cars 馃ぃ

Yes, it's a CR2032 but don't expect it to last that long perhaps 2023 at a push聽馃槃

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Newer technology isn't necessarily better, just look at 'battery' cars 馃ぃ

To be fair, the Mk2 fob only needed to do anything for the split second I pushed on the button聽 to lock or unlock.聽 The new one is keyless entry and keyless start so is probably always scanning and using battery to do it.

4 minutes ago, south_bound said:

To be fair, the Mk2 fob only needed to do anything for the split second I pushed on the button聽 to lock or unlock.聽 The new one is keyless entry and keyless start so is probably always scanning and using battery to do it.

My point exactly LOL I have no issue at all having to put my key in the ignition, and twisting. I rented a car last year with 'keyless', I absolutely hated it...

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My point exactly LOL I have no issue at all having to put my key in the ignition, and twisting. I rented a car last year with 'keyless', I absolutely hated it...

I hated going back to a keyed ignition in the Golf after the keyless start in the Focus.聽 I found in winter my hands would get too cold after even a 30 minute walk to turn the key when I got back to the car.聽 And of course I couldn't get the heating on without doing that...

I don't like keyless entry but found keyless start to be really useful.聽 Each to their own at the end of the day.聽 :smile:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

...I found in winter my hands would get too cold after even a 30 minute walk to turn the key when I got back to the car.聽 :smile:

Tom, are you a closet snowflake? LOL 馃ぃ

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, are you a closet snowflake? LOL 馃ぃ

Lol, this damn body has been failing more & more over the last few years!聽 Within 5 minutes of being outside now I'm losing most of the feeling in my left arm/hand despite wearing a thick coat and gloves! :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

Now I understand the reason for your current avatar. And yes, getting old is no fun!

• Like 2

Changed the fob battery 2032 in my Mk2 the otherday as the lock unlock range had decreased until i was stood beside it. Now i can just walk away till the memory kicks in LOL

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, TomsFocus said:

Lol, this damn body has been failing more & more over the last few years!聽 Within 5 minutes of being outside now I'm losing most of the feeling in my left arm/hand despite wearing a thick coat and gloves! :rolleyes:

I鈥檝e got upper limb neuropathy ,numbness /pain in my hands mainly. As someone else mentioned getting olds great 馃馃槼

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

As someone else mentioned getting olds great 馃馃槼

Lol, I console myself with the thought that it's preferable to the alternative!馃榾

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I console myself with the thought that it's preferable to the alternative!馃榾

Get forgetful too , like why I鈥檓 reading this thread in the first place! My key fob battery needed replacing at 28k miles! Got the dealership to change it when in for an oil change.聽

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, StephenFord said:

I've not put a key in the the ignition of a car since 2003, not going to start doing that again.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I've not put a key in the the ignition of a car since 2003, not going to start doing that again.

I can just imagine how tiresome this would be for you, admittedly, it's an awful hassle twisting that bit of metal to fire the engine into life rather than pressing a button 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club