Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with rattling noise 2010 Focus MK 2.5

Hey guys, as stated, I'm getting a rattling/vibrating noise when I'm driving and its mildly annoying. It feels like its coming from the windscreen area. I have a teeny crack, not visible to the eye on the windscreen but I dont think its this. At first I thought it was my motorway tag or the rear-view mirror but holding them while driving changes nothing. Applying compression to the dash and the windscreen itself while driving doesn't seem to do anything but this is kind of hard to test while driving. 

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks folks.

Do you have a dashcam?  Check it's not that or the wiring rattling if so.  My camera's hardwire has started rattling behind the A-post recently which is a bit annoying, it'd been there over 2 years before it started!

Also do you have the auto wiper/light sensor?  The plastic casing over those isn't always tight, especially if you've had a new screen.

If you can narrow it down to either top of bottom of screen that might help a bit.

Hi Tom, no I don't have a dash cam and I don't have an auto wiper. I'll try to narrow it down but I guess the sound bounces off the windscreen which makes it harder to locate. I've tried locating it both above and below the screen so I'm a bit clueless as to where it's coming from. Someone suggested to check out the menu toggle on the left stalk and see if that is loose so I'll check this next. Will report back. Cheers

Try putting pressure on the top center of the dash when you hear it and if it stops it's the same noise I had in my mk2 I had which I couldn't pin point and it also does the same on the mk3. 

56 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Try putting pressure on the top center of the dash when you hear it and if it stops it's the same noise I had in my mk2 I had which I couldn't pin point and it also does the same on the mk3. 

My next suggestion was going to be the dash-top pocket...which you don't appear to have!  Didn't know that was a trim specific item lol!  

Found it guys! The rattle is coming from inside the stumpy volume control stalk. When I grab it, no more rattle. I'll see if I can disassemble it, tighten some screws and apply loctite. Worst case scenario I get a new one from ebay which are about 10 pounds.