Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can my passenger mirror be repaired?

StephenFord

When reversing, I use to be able to adjust the glass of my passenger mirror down to reflect road level so I could see the kerb for more accurate positioning. Now, the adjustment switch no longer adjusts the glass all the way down. I can manually push the glass down, and the electric control will bring it back up again, but will not pull it back down far enough. It will adjust upwards all the way to point to the sky (!) so motor appears to work correctly, just not the adjustment range I require. It use to work great up to a few weeks ago.

Is there a way to 'reset' this at all, or at 16 years old (Mk2 2005), has it just come to the end of it's useful life?

Are the mirrors powerfold ? 

Something sticks in my mind about being told to close both mirrors inwards via the button and then press and hold the button ( on the one that's not working correctly) until you hear a loud clicking. That should be the mirrors resetting. 

44 minutes ago, Wino said:

Are the mirrors powerfold ? 

Powerfold?? LOL Bless you Sir, it's an LX, surprised the mirrors have an electric adjustment switch at all rather than a manual stalk...

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Powerfold?? LOL Bless you Sir, it's an LX, surprised the mirrors have an electric adjustment switch at all rather than a manual stalk...

My first Focus was an LX 05 TDCI in Silver. IIRC it had 126000 on the clock when it was part ex'd

Hope you get it sorted. 

• Like 1

Have just accidentally discovered a 'workaround'! If I adjust the mirror to the extreme left, then adjust down, then adjust in, the mirror will reflect the kerb, but it won't go directly down - odd!

• Like 2

Shoulda bought mid 00s VAG car, they have auto reverse-dip on the NS mirror... :biggrin:

Can you hear the motor when it stops moving downwards?  They use 2 plastic worm drive gears in the motor casing.  I reckon the down one has worn and is slipping when in the centre position.  But a bit of sideways movement helps it catch again.  

I doubt you can buy the worm drives on thier own, easiest repair would be a new motor casing from a breakers yard.  Not done one on a Focus but they're usually just 3 Torx screws and a single plug.  Mirror glass itself just pulls out from top when angled to bottom left iirc.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Shoulda bought mid 00s VAG car, they have auto reverse-dip on the NS mirror... :biggrin:

The T-roc I test drove did this it and it auto positioned the drivers side mirror if you set the passenger side first.

• Like 1

Yeah they do still do it...I know Stephen isn't a fan of new cars though lol!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Can you hear the motor when it stops moving downwards?  They use 2 plastic worm drive gears in the motor casing.  I reckon the down one has worn and is slipping when in the centre position.  But a bit of sideways movement helps it catch again.  

I doubt you can buy the worm drives on thier own, easiest repair would be a new motor casing from a breakers yard.  Not done one on a Focus but they're usually just 3 Torx screws and a single plug.  Mirror glass itself just pulls out from top when angled to bottom left iirc.

Yes, I can still hear the motor whirring away, trying to click into motion, but nothing happens. Have bought an 'Ebay' replacement for £20 so will fit that in the hope that it too hasn't got the exact same fault LOL Oh, great observation about me disliking 'new' cars, wait to you see my dislike increase even further when they don't even have an engine in them! 🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a replacement mirror on eBay for £20 and 'my guy' swapped out the internals this morning to existing mirror - all working great now...

• Like 3